D Special Alternator Water Pump V belt length?
  • Register
  • Help
    UFO

Icon4 D Special Alternator Water Pump V belt length?

I spent a frustrating few hours this afternoon replacing a buggered seal on the regulator inwards pressure line - to the point where I (stupidly) removed the alternator. Of course had I just removed the bolts that hold the reg on the frame first, I would have had the job done sooner. Getting pipes lined up is always a shite.

Anyway....

When I last had the alternator and stuff off in about 2010 to replace the lower radiator pipes, I bought new V belts. I probably fitted them without the radiator in the way etc.

Today they were tightish to move out of the way even when the alternator tension was undone, and OF COURSE I cannot get them back on. Maybe had I had someone handy who could have turned the crank handle while I guided the belts onto the alt pulley I may have won.

I'm suspecting that the belts I currently have, 11A965 are too short. Probably if they were 10mm belts the difference in them fitting in the pulley Vs would be enough play room.

Can anyone please advise? Should I go 11A975?

Advertisement

Thanks
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Can't ground the coil lead and crank it off the solenoid button while prying the belt on with a screwdriver?

UFO

No solenoid button.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Craig, yah, I would prolly go with the 3/8" longer belt. If you had that much problem installing them new, I can see why you're having a bugger of a time now.

For kicking over your starter: there should be, paired with the the + battery cable, a single 4mm bullet connector assembly, sleeved in red. That leads to the starter solenoid. Put battery + to that connection (use a fused lead just in case) after you've disconnected the main coil wire. That should spin your motor.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

UFO

Thanks Hotrod. Will go to a parts store on the way home.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Craig,

If the belts are not too small you can try removing the back bolt, loosening the front and separating the alternator from the bellhousing, then fitting the belt and then remounting and bolting it back in...?

Have had success on one occasion with this method.

Cheers,

Mark...

buz
    Tadpole

Craig, I fitted a "Gates 11A0965" from Repco a few weeks ago.
    Disconnected the solenoid connector near the battery "+" terminal & shorted it to the "+" terminal to turn motor over.
    See you to-nite at meeting?

I do not believe that the belts should need to forced on to that extent. I have 2 Dee's outside; both 23 IE's and both have belt lengths of 980. (And both have plenty of adjustment still left.)

In all of my years of working on cars I've never had to "crank" belts on - it would have to be a very confined installation with no (little) allowance to tighten belts that one would need to be using the smallest belt length possible.

John

UFO

I think I will go the 980, as it seems 975 doesn't exist.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

UFO

Got around to fitting the two 11A980 belts this afternoon. SO easy to fit and they adjust up very well - still some adjustment space left in the tensioner. Was about to take it out for a run but rain started. One night this week will do.

Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

The logical solution is generally best. The problem at time is finding / seeing that logical solution.

John

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Got around to fitting the two 11A980 belts this afternoon. SO easy to fit and they adjust up very well - still some adjustment space left in the tensioner. Was about to take it out for a run but rain started. One night this week will do.

Thread Information