123 Distributor Failure
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By hawk
  • 6 Post By ds21bvh

Thread: 123 Distributor Failure

Default 123 Distributor Failure

How is everyone's experience with 123 distributors in D's...? Many failures...?

I just had one go belly up - virtually brand new but too old for warranty. Very frustrating at the time stuck on the side of the road for 3 plus hours wondering what the hell was going on changing everything else out to try and get it going. Yes the body was earthed.

Are they repairable..? Or should I post it back to the manufacturers with instructions as to where to put it...?

Cheers,

Mark...

Advertisement

I wondered where the thread had gone! Pretty sure the RAID people have had a unit or two fail, and I know of at least one "DGNition" that died.

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post

I just had one go belly up - virtually brand new but too old for warranty. Very frustrating at the time stuck on the side of the road for 3 plus hours wondering what the hell was going on changing everything else out to try and get it going. Yes the body was earthed.

Are they repairable..? Or should I post it back to the manufacturers with instructions as to where to put it...?

Cheers,

Mark...
    That's a real shame. Most of it is solid state electronics, so without a manual and a means of testing components, what can you do?? It must have "components" but I've no idea whether they are embedded in epoxy or in some way dismantlable.

Personally, I'd go back to them more in sorrow than anger and ask for help and see what they say. I see from their web sites that there is an Australian distributor as well as the real home. My CX one isn't from 123 but from a mob in Holland who install 123 units in distributors that the customer provides (for me, the only way, as 123 don't do a CX distributor).

One other thing that comes to mind is to carry a spare conventional distributor, which might sound ridiculous but I've done it for years with the Renault 4cv and R8.

Best of luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That's a real shame. Most of it is solid state electronics, so without a manual and a means of testing components, what can you do?? It must have "components" but I've no idea whether they are embedded in epoxy or in some way dismantlable.

Personally, I'd go back to them more in sorrow than anger and ask for help and see what they say. I see from their web sites that there is an Australian distributor as well as the real home. My CX one isn't from 123 but from a mob in Holland who install 123 units in distributors that the customer provides (for me, the only way, as 123 don't do a CX distributor).

One other thing that comes to mind is to carry a spare conventional distributor, which might sound ridiculous but I've done it for years with the Renault 4cv and R8.

Best of luck.
    If you are lucky they may ship you the "module" ie the electronic circuit board. Since it is likely to be SMT (surface mount technology) the module won't be worth repairing.

hawk is the man to see, a member here and the Australian agent.

LOL at the post below...

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Cheers,

Mark...
    If you go with instructions on where to put it, make sure it's sideways, not small end up. Cap must be on.

Actually, I would contact the people you got it from and explain what happened. They might be willing to at least take your unit in for repairs with no cost, seeing as you don't have many miles on it.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Many thanks for the replies guys - sorry for my uncharacteristic ranting suggestion as to it's future location - just very frustrated. Came at the end of a number of other annoying issues. Changing out the wrong parts on the side of a busy road for 3 hours does that to you.

So failure is not unheard of - at least that is something.

It is brand new - virtually has a couple of hours running on it at most. I bought it from a mate as it was surplus to his requirements so will find out where it came from. Might be worth a shot.

Ted Cross is the guy in Aus...? I bought my other 123 from him some years ago - I'll make contact with him as well - many thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Mark...

If you go with instructions on where to put it, make sure it's sideways, not small end up. Cap must be on.
    Preferably red hot as well, with the hot end sticking out....
    (so the person removing it burns their hands...)

Some things electronic die early if they are going to die at all. Some small element of it with a crack or poor joint. At least it went for a while, so you know it used to work, rather than having bought it from a friend and then finding you couldn't get it to go at all.

Look forward to the next instalment - good luck with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

I suggest you give me a call and I will try and find out the facts and see what I can do for you.

Like where was it purchased. How long ago. How was it stored. Who fitted it.
    Did the instructions get followed completely etc.

I need more information before I can help you. I am always available to help anyone with any 123 issues.

Hawk.123 Ignition
    Ted Cross 0400592208
    UFO, pajamas and ScotFrog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I suggest you give me a call and I will try and find out the facts and see what I can do for you.

Like where was it purchased. How long ago. How was it stored. Who fitted it.
    Did the instructions get followed completely etc.

I need more information before I can help you. I am always available to help anyone with any 123 issues.

Hawk.123 Ignition
    Ted Cross 0400592208
    Can't ask for better service than this. Why not buy 123 in Australia and get this kind of service?

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Can't ask for better service than this. Why not buy 123 in Australia and get this kind of service?
    Exactly my thoughts. Pretty good.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I just wanted to bring this thread to a close by showing my deep appreciation and thanking Ted very much for sorting out my 123.

Not only did he go above and beyond in rectifying the problem, he was really nice about it - nothing was too much trouble. It went down and back within a day or two - just fantastic service. It just took me a few weeks to get it back in the car....!

The 69 is up and running now - and looking forward to the Grand Display in a few weeks.

Thanks again Ted...!

Cheers,

Mark...

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Excellent going Mark, and thank you Ted!
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I just wanted to bring this thread to a close by showing my deep appreciation and thanking Ted very much for sorting out my 123.

Not only did he go above and beyond in rectifying the problem, he was really nice about it - nothing was too much trouble. It went down and back within a day or two - just fantastic service. It just took me a few weeks to get it back in the car....!

The 69 is up and running now - and looking forward to the Grand Display in a few weeks.

Thanks again Ted...!

Cheers,

Mark...
    That's wonderful to hear. Full marks to Ted. It just shows it is always best to approach the right person in the right way doesn't it! Ted is clearly the right person in this case and I won't forget.

Thanks Mark for closing it off.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

JBN

I agree that Ted is a terrific bloke. He sorted my 123 that failed on my 2CV.

John

Thread Information