CX Help
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: CX Help

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default CX Help

Hi all,

Can somebody let me know how you adjust the tappets on a gti 2500? There doesn't seem to be any way to rotate the crankshaft and the Haynes manual only shows it being done with the engine out of the car.....

Thanks

Advertisement

Warren
    Last edited by WRB; 18th May 2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: wrong word

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Hi all,

Can somebody let me know how you adjust the tappets on a gti 2500? There doesn't seem to be any way to rotate the crankshaft and the Haynes manual only shows it being done with the engine out of the car.....

Thanks

Warren
    Jack up one side of the vehicle so that the front wheel is off the ground!
    Remove the injection manifolds and rocker cover!
    Remove the spark plugs! Put the car in 5th gear.
    Use the wheel to rotate the engine via the gearbox.
    If you have an Auto forget the above except for manifold rocker cover and spark plug removal.
    There is a red sleeved single pin wiring connector just near the positive terminal of the battery. Disengage the male part of this connector and touch it to the positive terminal. This engages the starter and rotates the engine to the desired position for valve tappet setting!
    Cheers Gerry

I leave my car on its wheels. Simply put it in 2nd gear and roll it to turn the engine over. I don't bother to take the spark plugs out. Takes a bit of effort and you have to wait a bit while compression bleeds down as you go thru the compression stroke. You can do all four cylinders in two engine revolutions - about 1 metre of travel along the garage floor. Of course you need a level floor for this method.

You can also turn the engine by levering on the flywheel teeth thru the timing light hole. Use a big flat blade screwdriver. You only get a couple of teeth at a time. Slow but do-able.

I check the clearances in my car every couple of years. They have always been a bit tappety, but the clearance is always very stable and doesn't seem to wear significantly. My car is now at 350,000 km and all it gets is an oil change at ~5k intervals. Make sure you use an oil for 'older' engines. The modern lightweight synthetic oils do not have the right viscosity or additives for these engines. I use the original Castrol GTX most of the time.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

I leave my car on its wheels. Simply put it in 2nd gear and roll it to turn the engine over. I don't bother to take the spark plugs out. Takes a bit of effort and you have to wait a bit while compression bleeds down as you go thru the compression stroke. You can do all four cylinders in two engine revolutions - about 1 metre of travel along the garage floor. Of course you need a level floor for this method.

You can also turn the engine by levering on the flywheel teeth thru the timing light hole. Use a big flat blade screwdriver. You only get a couple of teeth at a time. Slow but do-able.

I check the clearances in my car every couple of years. They have always been a bit tappety, but the clearance is always very stable and doesn't seem to wear significantly. My car is now at 350,000 km and all it gets is an oil change at ~5k intervals. Make sure you use an oil for 'older' engines. The modern lightweight synthetic oils do not have the right viscosity or additives for these engines. I use the original Castrol GTX most of the time.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Thanks everyone,

I will use the "5th gear" method.

cheers
    Warren

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

What if the car is an automatic or C-matic ?? You'll need to access the ring gear. If the cover is off from below, then your set. Otherwise, remove the flywheel sensors and proceed from above with along flat bladed screwdriver. Remove all the spark plugs first!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information