CX Spheres, regas or new, and where?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob T
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: CX Spheres, regas or new, and where?

Fellow Frogger!

Default CX Spheres, regas or new, and where?

Hello everyone,

I've had a 76 CX Super for a year or so now and I think it's about time to get it on the road.
    It had been sitting for a year or two when I bought it so I did a few minor repairs to the fuel system and completed all the normal fluid flush, tune up etc stuff that I would do with any car I buy and (as far as I know) it's ready to hit the road, apart from flat spheres that is.
    The car goes up and down but the suspension is very hard.

I've had a bit of a search around this forum and others but there's alot of information to take in and alot of different opinions. This is the internet after all

So if it's possible i'm after some clarification on how many spheres i'll need to buy/regas, where from, how much etc etc.
    I think I've heard in the past that it's not a good idea to try to regas completely flat spheres?

I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible, but I understand there's no point purchasing cheap units that might only last a few months. I know quality costs, but if there is a cheaper reliable alternative i'd love to hear about it. I don't have a problem buying internationally if that's the way to go.

I plan on fitting them myself. I know my way around a car, but this will be the first time for this particular job. If anyone would be so kind to give me rundown, or point me in the direction of a good guide somewhere online that would be very appreciated.

I am located in the Illawarra, NSW, if that helps with regassing or parts availability. Or even if there are any friendly and knowledgeable locals who might be willing to offer advice, that would be fantastic.

Thank you all
    Kind regards
    Ben

Advertisement

UFO

There's a remarkably good car club with a south coast branch based around the Illawarra... Some of the members have owned one or more CXs over the years.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I can recommend new ones for a CX, I did on mine recently. Shane helped fit the rears, the rears are a bit tricky, not easy like the DS.
    I also replaced with new both accumulators.
    The old ones were fine but the ride improvement on new sphere is very noticeable and worth it.
    I purchased mine from CXbasis. yours will cost 33.66 Euro each = AU$197 on today's money plus postage for a set of 4. Another AU$95 for 2 accumulators.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Some suspension spheres are interchangeable with newer models, I'm not sure about the accumulator spheres yet some secondhand ones from a Xantia wreck might get you a better result or a least be in a better condition to re-gas (Someone will shoot me down in due course if I'm wrong
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

1000+ Posts

Icon14

Also replaced spheres from cxbasis;the improvement in ride well worth it. Don't know re xantia spheres but mine ride like a brick compared to the cx,Andy. cx25iepallas,activa,c5,ct turbo

Make sure you use spheres for the CX. The sphere shape, volume and damping characteristics are all important. The Citroen engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the CX suspension.

Spheres loose pressure over 2 to 3 years. If they don't get below about 30% of original pressure, they can usually be regassed. I have some that have been done 4 or 5 times. I get mine regassed at DS Motors. And if they are too flat I buy new ones from them. About $80 ea for non-genuine but equivalent quality spheres. They are made by the same manufacturers that supply Citroen.

Spheres don't seem to loose much pressure when sitting on the shelf. I have two complete sets - 7 spheres on my car with the split braking system that has two brake accumulators. It makes swap over day pretty easy and I get the 'old' ones regassed at my leisure.

Changing the spheres is simply screw off - screw on. They don't need to be more than hand tight. I re-use the square section seal rings but I carefully check and clean the mating surfaces. The brake accumulator down by the radiator is hard to get at and not rigidly mounted, so unscrewing the spheres usually results in bending the oil lines. I remove the three pipes and take the sphere out complete with its base. Clamp the base in the vice and then the sphere is easy to remove. I also remove the complete rear suspension cylinder. I find it easier to pull the clips and pipes and remove the sphere in the vice rather than fight with it in the confined space of the rear wheel arch. Just be gentle clamping the suspension cylinder in the vice. It is only aluminium, and it would be possible squash the cylinder out of round.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    Some suspension spheres are interchangeable with newer models, I'm not sure about the accumulator spheres yet some secondhand ones from a Xantia wreck might get you a better result or a least be in a better condition to re-gas (Someone will shoot me down in due course if I'm wrong
    You might get away with it at the back of a CX and the accumulators are the same 62 Bar units without any damper, but the CX front spheres are larger and filled to a higher pressure than Xantia spheres. Also, you have to make sure you don't use any suspension spheres from a Hydractive Xantia as the damper holes are rather smaller and it will ride badly. Well, you could actually use a Xantia/XM Hydractive stiffness regulator sphere as an accumulator in a pinch as they have no damper, but the pressures are different.

Accumulator spheres are cheap enough to not bother with used items down in the left front corner (if fitted) or on the regulator underneath. The extra one on the wheelarch is very easy to get at, so regassing it is not the hassle some of the others are.
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Don't use xantia spheres. You need the correct CX spheres. If your ride is rock hard, replacement in the only option. The good new is spheres aren't expensive these days.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Here's a good excuse for a trip to France
    http://www.sphere-discount.com/gb/50488-cx
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

$245 for 6spheres ... that''s cheap! that's $41.00aud a sphere. I bet postage is no bargain though.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you everyone, I very much appreciate all your input. I'll look into those options.

So what's the go with comfort spheres?
    Obviously i'm assuming they give a softer ride, but from what I gather the CX already has a fantastic ride, so are they worth it?

Ben

I've read this interesting lengthy UK forum post a while ago:
    http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/foru...hp?f=3&t=41030
    Some Citroen Xantia owners have fitted comfort or DS spheres (serviceable too) to replicate the magic floating ride of models past. (DS,GS,CX) Obviously rim/tyre profile & brand will influence the final feel so it comes down to the type of driving you plan to be doing? Too soft & the CX will bottom out during press on touring. If it's just for Sunday Club drives then the softer set up will be more indicative of the renowned Citroen marque & more entertaining for your passengers but not as much fun for you. My two cents worth anyway.

I bought some comfort sphere for the Prestige. Had them on for a couple of weeks and they have never been back. TOOOOO soft under underdamped. They used to bottom out on several bumps around the neighbourhood. I would not recommend them
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thread Information