• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By pug206gti

Thread: LED replacement bulbs

Default LED replacement bulbs

Hi all,
    I need a new brake light globe for my SM. Can anyone advise me on the size, type and spec as I don't want to undo the fragile screws twice. They are not as bright as they should be and I am thinking of fitting LED bulbs. Anyone done this and is it easy/ worth it? If so what type and where are they available from. Any advice gratefully received.
    cheers Tony

Advertisement

Hi Tony, in your fairly specific situation I would look for NOS bulbs from the later eighties. I think my Mi16 has 80% original globes in the rear cluster after 25 years. My own experiments with LED arrays have typically seen one of a pair let go within 2Ĺ years or less, admittedly low cost sets.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Hi Tony, in your fairly specific situation I would look for NOS bulbs from the later eighties. I think my Mi16 has 80% original globes in the rear cluster after 25 years. My own experiments with LED arrays have typically seen one of a pair let go within 2Ĺ years or less, admittedly low cost sets.
    I'd agree about the old bulbs lasting forever, but can add an interesting observation...

About 6 years ago I changed my number plate lights to LED for a bit of bling.

The guy at jaycar suggested these bulbs were not really suited to external use, so taking that advice on board, i covered the LEDs with neutrlal cure polycarbonate sealer (silicon).
    They are still burning strong years after the non-coated lights fitted to the interior crapped out.

Jo

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Tony, the spec for the lamps are: standard "bayonet" base sized like an 1156 single filament bulb, 21 watt draw. The French standard number is R.136-12, and the 'international' number is P.25/1 . I would not go any larger than the 21 watt draw- you run the risk of melting some very expensive plastic.

LED is a good idea- you get the brightness with the reduced draw. The only problem is nobody reputable, like Sylvania, Osram or Philips make them. They're all from some slightly shady company located somewhere in the East. Despite Jo's good luck, you will probably have to change them out every few years.

If you go Adam's suggestion, try to find bulbs made in France, made in USA, made in Germany, etc. Don't go for the stuff made in India, China, et al. You will be disappointed.
    Leconte likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Tony, I just spotted this web page in another thread, courtesy of Richo. You might be able to find what you're after here:

Page Title

Here's hoping I'm wrong and the quality has improved on the LED bulbs.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I have used LED's in the CX dash (as I thought they'd last forever and save swapping them). Recently I changed all the blown globes (again) and most of the LED's had fried themselves in less time than the globes. I'm sure there's quality LED's out there, but how would you pick them

Over the last 5years however, I've changed every trailer I've had my hands on too LED's ........... and have never had too touch them again. There vastly superior to those cheap nasty trailer lights.

seeya,
    Sahen L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I have used LED's in the CX dash (as I thought they'd last forever and save swapping them). Recently I changed all the blown globes (again) and most of the LED's had fried themselves in less time than the globes. I'm sure there's quality LED's out there, but how would you pick them

Over the last 5years however, I've changed every trailer I've had my hands on too LED's ........... and have never had too touch them again. There vastly superior to those cheap nasty trailer lights.

seeya,
    Sahen L.
    I presume it is the stuff the LED is attached to that fries?? They ought to be almost totally reliable. Pity to hear they aren't, as I was thinking of going that way with the CX myself.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tony, I have LED bulbs throughout the interior (including the ashtray) so everything can be seen inside the cabin at night - especially that fast dropping fuel gauge!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Don't go for the stuff made in India, China, et al. You will be disappointed.
    G'day,
    off on a tangent, that well known letter delivery corporation that features in the news nearly every day lately, recently issued new uniforms to the staff. Look closely at your Postie next time he/she is around. After one wear and one wash the shirts are pilling. I think that is the right word.
    Pill (textile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    No prizes for guessing where the gear is made.
    artisan likes this.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

While not applicable to any classic Citroen there is a trap for young players with using LEDs. The cruise control doesn't like them on my Mitsubishi. It fails to create enough draw when the stop lights are lit ( and that is necessary to cancel the preset speed ) .. I suspect LEDs in a C5 or newer would cause havoc too. I note some on Ebay are said to not upset the CANBUS system, and assume they have a resistor built in for that purpose.

I have also replaced the LEDs in my caravan tail lights too. They are just not bright enough in daylight for following traffic to notice the difference despite being supposedly made for the purpose. One LED clearance light has stopped working already too, so they are a bit of a mixed bag in quality/reliabilitylifespan.

I have had LED brake lights in the Renault 4CV for years, and the side flashers. One great benefit is that they come on really sharply (think square wave) compared with heating up a filament, so are more noticeable as brake lights. I'd try them in the SM for that reason alone. Buy four so you have spares.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

A word of caution about using LEDs in the DS instrument panel. The Citroen twist socket for the bulbs will short circuit across the connector for many LED wedge-base bulbs. This will immediately fry the flex circuit on the back of your instrument panel (don't ask me how I know this). There is one supplier in the US (superbrightleds.com) that supplies LEDs with a twist socket that fits the DS instrument panel but will not short circuit across the LED. Look for the P/N WLED-GHP5-PC3 (the PC3 suffix means the twist socket is supplied). The alternative is to get the plastic wedge base LEDs and trim the leads so that they do not wrap around the wedge base

Cheers,
    John T.

I tried stop/tail LED globes in the CX. I tried to have one side with conventional and one side LED for comparison purposes. However the LEDs would only work if both were LED. If they were brighter than normal I couldn't tell. She is wearing conventional lamps in the taillights now. Problem with the ones I had was most of the LEDs were firing sideways in the fitting and the less than good reflector in the light unit did not help there. You can find some that have most of the LEDs facing away from the socket but I wonder what pattern of light that would give viewed from outside. Proceed with caution as others have indicated.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thread Information