• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By gerrypro

Thread: 80 Years of Traction Avant.

Default 80 Years of Traction Avant.

CitroŽn celebrates 80 years of the Traction Avant

Above is the link to Julian Marshes Citroenet pages celebrating the 80th year of one of the worlds most historic and influential motor cars!
    Enjoy!

Advertisement
    Last edited by gerrypro; 17th May 2014 at 09:41 AM.
    Cheers Gerry

Nice one Gerry, there's some good images of these iconic cars in there.

40 year birthday for the CX too.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

In my opinion the Traction Avant Citroen had a far greater influence on the development of the modern motor car than any subsequent Citroen. Yes, I am including the DS which while bristling with innovative technology owes the entire layout of the structure to the platform of the TA. Looking closely at the features of its 'Punt Frame' you can see very clearly a parallel feature in the hull of the TA. The D merely took the concept further, by reducing the exterior skin to removable panels! This feature has not been taken up by other manufacturers ( with the exception of the Rover 2000 and 3500). Even Citroen dropped the concept for the CX .Neither has the complexity of centrally powered hydraulically operated systems been adopted by others.
    On the other hand Unitary construction, independent ball joint suspension, torsion bar springing, light beam rear axles on trailing arms, rack and pinion steering and front wheel drive have all been adopted on a wide basis by others. This in my mind is a much more direct line of development to the cars we have today.
    It is for this reason that I am surprised by the lack of response to this thread. It is time that the TA was given its proper due.
    Perhaps most of you AFers are just too young to remember or appreciate just how good the TA was, and still is to drive!
    citronut likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

I agree totally Jerry. I have never owned a Traction, but have had two experiences that have showed its advanced nature to the full. The first was following a 15/6 back from a CX day along the Picton Road towards Wollongong. As we hit the first of the turns before you drop down the hill and the Traction exhibited a bit a body roll I knew we were in for a quick trip. I was following in the CX and we carved those corners up effortlessly. Then further along on the freeway to Sydney the Big 6 looked so competent on the road, only a comparative lack of get up and go on the hilly bits the only give away that here was a car designed in the 1930s. Then a ride in a Light 15. I had heard that Tractions rode poorly. Compared to later Cits, yes but compared to say that other car I own, definitely not. Again totally competent on the road. I don't think you can say that of any other 1930s car.

As for the TA's influence on the rest of the industry it must be the most influential. Everybody talks about the front wheel drive but I think the biggest legacy is the unitary construction system. Everybody is using that now. The packaging advantages cannot be ignored. The trouble with the DS is Citroen took the TA advances and pushed them so far along that nobody every caught up. Only Rolls Royce and Mercedes took to the advantages of self levelling suspension, but nobody took to that idea of the centralised hydraulic system that make those Citroens better than anything in their class.

Time to watch Vive La Traction again

Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

There is a early black TA used as a street prop at Movie World on the Gold Coast. Sad to see it just static after all these years just sitting there busting to escape to the open road....
    Last edited by Jinandfonic; 18th May 2014 at 11:15 PM.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Touring holiday in the States anyone? It's right hand drive & just needs a new clutch. Two Aussies in an English built French car touring the USA! Could even make a 80th year doco of the TA that could pay for the trip? Alias but just a dream....
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Citroen-Slou...7432595&pt=US_
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    Touring holiday in the States anyone? It's right hand drive & just needs a new clutch. Two Aussies in an English built French car touring the USA! Could even make a 80th year doco of the TA that could pay for the trip? Alias but just a dream....
    Citroen Slough Built | eBay
    She's a bit sad!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    She's a bit sad!
    Fluctuating price on eBay. Big money for a sad car indeed.
    Last edited by Jinandfonic; 25th May 2014 at 06:43 PM.

It is still a good starting point but will require a lot of work!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information