C5 Estate (2004) Rear Suspension Squeaks.
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 Estate (2004) Rear Suspension Squeaks.

Had a look under the C5 today for the first. All previous servicing done by experts.

Quite impressive but no idea how it all works and why and where the squeak was coming from.

Anybody had the same annoying problem notwithstanding I'd reckon if ignored it's going to be more than just annoying.

Advertisement

Regards JAJEA

PS: I was unable / unsuccesfull in locating previous threads on the issue.

Sounds like swing arm bearings are gone. I had the same problem and I replaced the bearings myself. Usually the whole swing arm is replaced.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Thanks Kimmo, but may I trouble you for more information as what is actually involved. I have looked under the C5 for the first time.

Does the exercise involve disturbing the hydraulics? Is there a manual for the activity? I have nothing on the C5 as until recently it was left to professionals. And do parts come from a Citroen Dealer or others?

Thanks in anticipation.

John

You can buy online, aftermarket bits to service the arms.

Rear Axle Control Arm Repair Kit Citroen C5 | eBay You would have to ask the seller if it fits the estate.

That said, I'd make sure the rear suspension pushrod seats hadn't been pressure-washed dry of grease.

Thanks Addo, I would like to purchase replacement parts ASAP if that is what the issue is. I'm at a loss with the C5 as it has been serviced by dealers and others during my later years of working life but now I'm in a position that I would like to do what I can if I can. I've got interested in the Dee post retirement (actually, my interest in the Goddess goes back to the 60’s) and I've have been studying up on it before I get stuck into in to it; but I never got an interest in the C5: as it was simply – a means of transport so, the C5 is a bit of a mystery to me.

So, I'll be studying up on your advice as to how to access the actual Citroen web site to obtain "workshop" knowledge as to how to go about it.

So, considering that the "rear suspension pushrods seats hadn't been pressure washed dry” during my ownership and knowing / meeting the previous owner, the pushrod seats have not been pressure washed dry, so the squealing must be the swing arms bearings as advised by Kimmo.

We are planning on a drive to BNE very soon and the C5 is it and hence the need to check things out.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    You can buy online, aftermarket bits to service the arms.

Rear Axle Control Arm Repair Kit Citroen C5 | eBay You would have to ask the seller if it fits the estate.

That said, I'd make sure the rear suspension pushrod seats hadn't been pressure-washed dry of grease.

Hi John,
    I had the same thing on my C5 estate. Squeaks got worse and worse until it was embarrassing. I had a new swing arm bearing kit fitted by my mechanic. Cost a fair bit. I did ask him if he could just squeaze some grease into them and he said no. Fixed the squeak though.
    Good luck with the self fix.
    cheers Tony

I think it's DIY, at Haynes grade of four spanners. Caveat is, you either need a press or access to one, and ideally a stick welder to shrink the old bearing shells.

Contingent aspect is, think about cracking the rear caliper bolts at the same time - so order in some O-rings for the transfer ports inside the caliper halves.

Fellow Frogger

Some cars will squeak from the rear end and it can just be the brakes. Make sure they are not glazed and hose them off to remove dust, then see if the noise is still there. The rear arm bearings are more of creak / crack sound and it has to have been ignored for a while for the arm itself to be scrap. If the rear calipers have never been off before, expect it to be a DIY struggle as S1 and S2 C5 rear caliper bolts were secured with Loctite and can be a major hassle to remove. If the car has done enough miles for someone to have been there before, it may not be so difficult. The parts making up a bearing kit are virtually the same parts as for a CX, BX, Xantia and XM, so it's a fairly standard type of job.

And to think that I could do it with WD40. I had organised a lift at a mate's workshop so I could spray some WD40 around but as I said before, the underneath of the C5 was quite impressive - I did not pick up the can (of WD40).

If it's not too difficult; I'd like to give it ago.

John

John
    Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    Hi John,
    I had the same thing on my C5 estate. Squeaks got worse and worse until it was embarrassing. I had a new swing arm bearing kit fitted by my mechanic. Cost a fair bit. I did ask him if he could just squeaze some grease into them and he said no. Fixed the squeak though.
    Good luck with the self fix.
    cheers Tony

The C5 had ~90K kms on purchase from an original one owner in Sydney and I had travelled some 100K+ in 4 years without any hassles (I was very impressed with its reliability and the 1100+ kms out of a tank full albeit on freeway traffic against the horrific traffic on the other side travelling into Melbourne whilst I was travelling away!) but has done very little over the last 2 years (3 vehicles in family and retired). Whilst it was serviced by Citro Motors and Zagames I am sure that the rear has not been touched.

It certainly squeaks (just like me) and it is not coming from the brakes. It is definitely from the suspension as it squeaks upon the automatic raising and or lowering process.

Quite happy to tackle it DIY but not before getting hold of workshop manual. The last time I tackled something I knew nothing about I got myself into a mess (as to the time taken). I had no idea that a press was necessary, no idea that the half shafts were secured inside the differential, and no idea that a special tool was necessary to roll over one edge of the metal enclosure encapsulating one of the CV's. I had taken many of rear axles out over the years but never came accross one secured inside the diff.

C5 Estate (2004) Rear Suspension Squeaks.-img_3614_1.jpgC5 Estate (2004) Rear Suspension Squeaks.-side-view-cv-img_3613_1.jpgC5 Estate (2004) Rear Suspension Squeaks.-w123-rear-suspension-img_3609_1.jpg
    C5 Estate (2004) Rear Suspension Squeaks.-half-completed-half-shafts-img_3611_1.jpg
    The task I had undertaken was to replace Rubber Boots (and repack the CV joints in the process) on half shafts of a W123 Merc for a RWC. Boots did not look too healthy as evidence of oil weeping from one boot so the 4 were done.

So, notwithstanding that I propose to visit the Citroen site and get hold of a manual for the C5, I would very much appreciste if anybody can help with the appropriate section of how to replace the control arms.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Some cars will squeak from the rear end and it can just be the brakes. Make sure they are not glazed and hose them off to remove dust, then see if the noise is still there. The rear arm bearings are more of creak / crack sound and it has to have been ignored for a while for the arm itself to be scrap. If the rear calipers have never been off before, expect it to be a DIY struggle as S1 and S2 C5 rear caliper bolts were secured with Loctite and can be a major hassle to remove. If the car has done enough miles for someone to have been there before, it may not be so difficult. The parts making up a bearing kit are virtually the same parts as for a CX, BX, Xantia and XM, so it's a fairly standard type of job.

Fellow Frogger!

I'm getting very loud squeak. And a groan and squeak when braking going down a steep incline. No groans/squeaks though when lifting/lowering the car. brake pads still look good though.....

Same issue?

I'd reckon that if the squeaking is the result of your "braking" per se, that is, upon contact of pad to disc (applying the brakes) and assuming no heavy breaking to the extent that you are getting the big changes in suspension geometry that you get on switch off / start up; I do not believe you have the same problem.

David S's advice I believe it to be appropriate to your problem.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by garethb View Post
    I'm getting very loud squeak. And a groan and squeak when braking going down a steep incline. No groans/squeaks though when lifting/lowering the car. brake pads still look good though.....

Same issue?

Hi,
    if it is post 2004 then you may need Lexia (search for details in this forum) for de-pressurising the hydraulic system. The earlier models have a bleed screw for both rear and front suspension but I've let understood that the later ones don't.
    I did mine without a press but I'm a bush mechanic and believe that size of the hammer matters
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Fellow Frogger!

Same issue?
    Perhaps try and move back seat driver to front??!!! (Sorry could not resist)

Seriously does load have any effect, ie is it the same with a load in the back as when there is nothing
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

After doing 30 years worth of these on CXs and BXs, I recently bought a small bench hydraulic press at a supercheap sale when faced with 2 x 16 valve BXs to do. Made getting the old bearings out and new ones back in so much easier - highly recommended. I always take the rear arms to DS Motors to get the inner shells taken out using their special tool - much less drama that way. I have another BX TZI and a Xantia wagon lined up for new bearings at the moment - one day soon.

Cheers,

Ken W

Same issue?
    I get this too. Even just mentioning the word Citroen gets me a squeak and a groan from SWMBO.

SF

Thread Information