Messageries Maritime
  • Register
  • Help

Default Messageries Maritime

I am in Brisbane and was talking to my brother and his neighbour today who told me about an importation of DS's in 1973 which were locked up in the Messageries Maritime warehouse in Brisbane port because the importer could not afford to pay the import duty.

Both my brother and his neighbour were involved with Brisbane Port at the time so the story is first hand. The numbers quoted were 300 cars? which were finally auctioned off, unroadworthy and with no compliance plates. Rumour had it that they went for a few hundred dollars each.

Can anyone confirm the above 'urban myth' and if so, where did they end up?

SF

Advertisement

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    were finally auctioned off, unroadworthy and with no compliance plates.
    So that's probably where mine comes from because after 40 years..............it's still unroadworthy!

Personally I think it's a load of bullock. Same as the "dealers cutting holes into the fenders for airconditionning" story. la la land

The number of stories that are utter garbage is phenomenal.
    Example:
    The DS23 I own now was well known in Sydney as being DeGaulle's car for when he visited the colonies, and the car was supposedly owned by the "French High Commission" in Noumea...

Yet the simplest of checks would have shown that this car a DS23 Pallas could only have been made in 1974 as shown in the series number. Yet in 1970 General De Gaulle was already dead!

Nevertheless, regardless of facts, the story went on and on. And to this day I have difficulties proving to some people that NO, this wasn't De Gaulle's car.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 14th May 2014 at 07:01 PM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

If any vehicles around that era were stuck on a wharf it was probably because of the embargo on French goods due to testing at Mururoa.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    If any vehicles around that era were stuck on a wharf it was probably because of the embargo on French goods due to testing at Mururoa.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce, whilst I don't mind being corrected if wrong, I'm pretty sure this sort of things happened from 1974 on. Maybe a bit late for the Dees. But yes, still technically possible.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

I could be wrong, but these articles in the links that follow suggests union / waterside workers's bans would have been happening in 1973, around Hawke's speech to the ILO.http://www.bmartin.cc/pubs/82alternatives.html or page 6 of 20 in http://www2.kobe-u.ac.jp/~alexroni/T...earisation.pdf and the following article shows PM Whitlam asking for an end to the boycotts in late September 1973 http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...sortby=dateAsc

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Last edited by Bruce H; 14th May 2014 at 11:57 PM.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

I used to visit Messargeries Maritime Wharf quite a lot in those years doing servicing and maintenance, but unless the Citroen's were in a warehouse at another location I never saw them. Even today imported vehicles are stored in a holding yard exposed to the elements, you'd need a pretty big shed for 300 cars. Anyway the wharfs all went under or damn near it, during the 1974 flood so the cars would only be good for scrap. Good story though, late night campfire and Bourbon stuff.

Another clue. The cars were apparently in that shed until it changed hands and BHP took over. The takeover triggered an auction where they were disposed of for a pittance.

SF

I'd believe three cars... No more!

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=shanadoo;1255526]I used to visit Messargeries Maritime Wharf quite a lot in those years doing servicing and maintenance, but unless the Citroen's were in a warehouse at another location I never saw them. Even today imported vehicles are stored in a holding yard exposed to the elements, you'd need a pretty big shed for 300 cars. Anyway the wharfs all went under or damn near it, during the 1974 flood so the cars would only be good for scrap. Good story though, late night campfire and Bourbon stuff.
    I might add I had free access to anywhere on the wharf and when a ship wasn't docked the whole area including the sheds was pretty devoid of anything. Got to know the gate keeper and the women in the canteen quite well, as you do, can't remember their names now, but you'd think someone would have mentioned something about stored Citroens, especially as I occasionally showed up driving my boss' beautiful green D which I used in emergencies when a van wasn't available. "Now don't bend it or I'll dock yer wages".

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=shanadoo;1255526]I used to visit Messargeries Maritime Wharf quite a lot in those years doing servicing and maintenance, but unless the Citroen's were in a warehouse at another location I never saw them. Even today imported vehicles are stored in a holding yard exposed to the elements, you'd need a pretty big shed for 300 cars. Anyway the wharfs all went under or damn near it, during the 1974 flood so the cars would only be good for scrap. Good story though, late night campfire and Bourbon stuff.
    I might add I had free access to anywhere on the wharf and when a ship wasn't docked the whole area including the sheds was pretty devoid of anything. Got to know the gate keeper and the women in the canteen quite well, as you do, can't remember their names now, but you'd think someone would have mentioned something about stored Citroens, especially as I occasionally showed up driving my boss' beautiful green D which I used in emergencies when a van wasn't available. "Now don't bend it or I'll dock yer wages".

UFO

I've heard various opposing stories about DSs that were landed in Sydney too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information