citroen c5 2004 - very low suspension position
  • Register
  • Help

Default citroen c5 2004 - very low suspension position

heya guys.

after changing the rear shaft gasket at the garage - the suspensions are very very very low.
    i still can decrease them to a lower position by the knob.

there is plenty of lds oil

how can fix it? i feel every bums at the road and all ready my front plastuc under cover fell away...

is it the sensor ? the corrector ?

i founded this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJMH2zD10oM

but i dont understand what is he messing with...

you will all be a great help.

the main garage didnt want to mess with it and said that they scanned the BSI and no fault and maybe the probln in the knob selector (WTF?!)

Advertisement

THANKSSSS

Fellow Frogger!

Sounds like the front height corrector is disconnected or the actuating rod has come off, at very least it needs readjustment. It's mounted underneath, on the middle of the stabilizer/torsion bar. Put the car on a jack and loosen the clamp holding the corrector assy onto the bar and rotate the corrector slightly, [you'll see which way to increase the height] about three mm is usually enough, and retighten the clamp then let the car down and turn on the key to check the height. May need to do this several times to get it right. I work on 4 finger clearance width between mudguard and the top of the Tyre. At the rear work on about 5mm/8mm between bump stop rubbers and the trail arm. Hope it helps.

1000+ Posts

Better use axle stands or wheel ramps, not just a jack - or better still a hoist (that lifts the wheels not the body) or a pit. Fixing the car is important, but not getting squashed is even more important! See sticky at top of Citroen section on safety when working on hydraulic cars:
    Hydraulic Citroen Safety - also applies in part to other cars

Agree that it sounds as if the height corrector adjustment will be the problem, but is the problem at both ends, or just the front? Assuming that C5s are similar to earlier Citroens in this regard, the clamp can be found roughly in the middle of the anti-roll bar (stabiliser bar referred to by shanadoo). It is connected to the height corrector via a little arm. To work it must be firmly clamped onto the ARB, and the little arm must be connected at both ends. Front and rear work in the same way - if the car seems equally low at both ends, then both ends need fixing.

In Xantias the height control lever moves long rods, which also have clamps which can slip. However I am pretty certain that height selection is done electrically in C5s.

Normal operation - a change in the height of the car (usually due to adding or removing weight) causes a small amount of rotation of the anti-roll bar. This rotates the clamp, which causes the little lever to push or pull the bar in the height corrector. The hydraulic system reacts to this movement, and pumps fluid to correct the height. If the clamp has slipped around the ARB, then the height correction is thrown out - the system believes the height is correct. This does not cause any fault to be logged, as it is a purely mechanical problem.

This has happened to me when my Xantia has been worked on by mechanics - I suspect the most usual cause is lifting the car on a hoist that lifts the body and lets the wheels dangle, without putting the car on the highest setting first (although this should cause car to sit too high, rather than too low).

I agree with shanadoo's explanation, but I have found that the clamp can be unwilling to rotate unless body is lifted up from wheels. My method is to run the end that needs correcting up onto wheel ramps, turn engine off, then jack the body up until the clearance suggested by shanadoo is attained. Then release the clamp on the anti-roll bar - it should naturally rotate nearer to the correct setting. Tighten clamp, then put car back on level ground and test. As shanadoo says, it will likely take several goes to get it right.

Cheers

Alec

PS I agree about the video - it might make sense to someone already familiar with repairing these cars, but the poor quality and lack of explanation of what is being done make it pretty useless...
    Last edited by Armidillo; 14th May 2014 at 02:46 PM.

you were very very very helpfull!
    thank you all expert guys

Thread Information