DS Airconditionning: How's that for a fluke?
  • Register
  • Help
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Icon12 DS Airconditionning: How's that for a fluke?

Over the last couple of weeks my neighbour had his pergola rebuilt by an older gentleman.

Last week I was test driving the D on the grass . I had noticed the older fellow taking an interest but thought nothing of it.
    Today talking to my neighbour he mentioned the handy man remarked about me driving a DS, to which he added : "I was the original airconditionning installer for Citroen in Brisbane in the days of the DS!!!"

Advertisement

I've promptly asked the neighbour for contacts numbers of this gentleman . Is any one interested in more info and possibly getting work done by this guy? Or at least getting some first hand info?

Let me know.

I know I'll be asking him is there any truth in the urban legend as to which dealers would install aeration vents in new DS's mudguards at delivery time?
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

He must've done mine then. My blue car came from Brissie. Apparently the last one sold in QLD if what I've been told is correct.

FWIW, it's an auto clima with louvred vents screwed into the valance. I've thought about filling them in and getting an a/c bumper but it hasn't happened yet.

These days we're running a Sanden compressor, but everything else is original - okay, I admit the cupholders aren't original.

Added some pix.

Last edited by Boyracer; 12th May 2014 at 01:05 AM.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Quote Originally Posted by Boyracer View Post
    He must've done mine then. My blue car came from Brissie. Apparently the last one sold in QLD if what I've been told is correct.

FWIW, it's an auto clima with louvred vents screwed into the valance. I've thought about filling them in and getting an a/c bumper but it hasn't happened yet.

These days we're running a Sanden compressor, but everything else is original.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    I will ask and keep you posted.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

If nothing else, it's gotta be one of those interesting sidebar stories with details none of us know. I can't believe the AutoClima system is wildly different from our CoolAire units. Just on general principle I'd like to hear what the man has to say.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyracer View Post

These days we're running a Sanden compressor, but everything else is original.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Interesting my DS 23 has Autoclima fitted and looks to be original but the bumpers are not fitted with the mesh vents neither is the valance. Possibly the bumper has been replaced but not with original vented type. Anyone interested in swapping clean unvented bumper sections for mesh insert sections in same condition?

SF

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    If nothing else, it's gotta be one of those interesting sidebar stories with details none of us know. I can't believe the AutoClima system is wildly different from our CoolAire units. Just on general principle I'd like to hear what the man has to say.
    Exactly. I can't wait to meet the guy . In the meantime I'm organizing a few questions for him. So if you guys have some, let me know.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger!

His is a known name. Just ask around and some of we old timers will be sure to know. I am sure if you ask at DS Motors or Euroserve they will be able to put a name to the reputation. I am reluctant to post it here.
    In his younger days and at the peak of DS numbers he did his own D Special with air con cold air coming through the factory dash vents, NOT just a hung on unit under the dash as was common.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    His is a known name. Just ask around and some of we old timers will be sure to know. I am sure if you ask at DS Motors or Euroserve they will be able to put a name to the reputation. I am reluctant to post it here.
    In his younger days and at the peak of DS numbers he did his own D Special with air con cold air coming through the factory dash vents, NOT just a hung on unit under the dash as was common.
    I don't know his name yet - I just caught a glimpse of him - but will PM you when I know and check if it is indeed the same person.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Where was he 12 plus months ago to help me in my litigation?

I had to contact Citroen France (via Sime Darby) when my solicitor said that Aussiefrog statements would not be acceptable as unequivocal evidence that the seller misrepresented that the Dee had "factory fitted air". Citroen France advised that no RHD vehicles exported to Australia were fitted with AC.

Their response was:

"Vehicles equipped with factory fitted air conditioning systems utilised a YORK compressor and the front bumper bar had holes cut into it to aid air flow.

Some models of the CitroŽn DS23 were manufactured for non-European markets and many of these vehicles were “pre-equipped” for air conditioning. This means that the bumper bar had holes in it and the air conditioning bracket was installed in the engine bay to allow fitment of the compressor locally.

From the images you supplied, it appears that your vehicle was “pre-equipped” for air conditioning and the system was a local fitment"

What I supplied were photos of the under dash Autoclima vents and the Autoclima compressor relatively flimsy mounted above the hydraulic pump and power taken (driven)from the 3 pullied hydraulic pump.So Harrison, when the litigated Dee goes back to the original owner / seller (I will win the litigation because every statement/claim about the Dee was false, fraudulently false), I have a replacement Dee that will require AC.

Question to ask when you catch up with him is what / how should one go about installing AC to a Dee. The best way of course.

Very much keen as to how he had achieved using the original vents as advised by Fritzelhund.

John

Okay, so I did get in touch with the gentleman in question.
    Apparently he was installing the aircon systems in Perth as they rolled off the boats. No DS was ever imported with aircon but only the provision for them. He knows the autoclima brand well.
    He now lives in Brisbane surrounds and still has an interest in working on Dees air-con. He has authorised me to pass on his contact details to interested D owners. PM me if you want them.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Thread Information