• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CX window motor

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default CX window motor

Hi,

anybody know where I could get a drivers side window motor (that works....) for an 85 CX2500gti)

thanks

Advertisement

Warren

CX-BASIS :: eShop
    Check this out. It is used but a lot cheaper than the brand new one!
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

thanks gerry - I had seen it and thought I would check around locally first. Did you see the prices of the new ones'!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    thanks gerry - I had seen it and thought I would check around locally first. Did you see the prices of the new ones'!!!!!!!!
    Yes! Shock, Horror, Gasp!
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I bought it..... (the second hand one

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I had a word to them in the comment box about slugging us with 17% VAT - will be interesting to see what happens.

Fellow Frogger

19% actually. No doubt you will be told it helps subsidise the postage.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Are you sure it's the motor Is there power there? I've never heard of one dying .......... I have heaps of the bloody things here, don't pay money for one. If it's the same as the early cars (which I'm sure it is) I'll have at least 6 of them sitting on shelf somewhere (without counting the two in each wreck in the yard!). dime a dozen those things .......................

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The later cars are different to early ones. I fitted a (rust free) door from an 85 model to my 81 car. It fits OK but the internals are all different. The whole window winder mechanism, tracks and motor and the central locking actuator are similar, but different enough so as to be not interchangeable. Lots of minor differences to mounting points. It does operate more quietly and smoothly though.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Broken wires where they pass through the door hinge area would be the most common failure. The copper internals break up with all the door opening / closing.

When I fixed mine, I removed the whole loom from the door and replaced all of the wires with new. I used a multi pin connector block where the existing loom was cut. This will make it easy to replace the wires again at some time in the future. I also made sure that the wiring was positioned and fixed so that it flexed as little as possible when the door is opened.

If you are splicing in repair sections, make sure that any soldered joints are well out of the 'flex' zone. The solder makes the wire solid and any flexing will be concentrated where the solder ends.
    UFO likes this.
    Robert Thorne
    Brisbane
    Citroenless - for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    The later cars are different to early ones. I fitted a (rust free) door from an 85 model to my 81 car. It fits OK but the internals are all different. The whole window winder mechanism, tracks and motor and the central locking actuator are similar, but different enough so as to be not interchangeable. Lots of minor differences to mounting points. It does operate more quietly and smoothly though.
    I might have the later type here too... Can you tell us how to identify the differences that way I can see if I have the right winder motor here if he needs it (I'm pretty sure it'll be the switch, fuses or relay though .... maybe even all 3 ... not the motor).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Are you sure it's the motor Is there power there? I've never heard of one dying .......... I have heaps of the bloody things here, don't pay money for one. If it's the same as the early cars (which I'm sure it is) I'll have at least 6 of them sitting on shelf somewhere (without counting the two in each wreck in the yard!). dime a dozen those things .......................

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I've never had one fail either, 6 in 3 CX's, and 4 in the Xantia, never a problem.

I had to replace a left side winder motor. They crack the aluminium hosing between the gear case and the armature!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I had to replace a left side winder motor. They crack the aluminium hosing between the gear case and the armature!
    A large hose clamp is a great preventative measure. This one was completely busted now works. CX window motor-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1399846652.069606.jpg
    The later motor fits the earlier mechanism fine. It's a stronger unit & quieter.CX window motor-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1399846844.235096.jpg obviously left & right ones shown.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    early ones did that due to slamming forces of the door. A stick of wood between the motor and door frame prevented this (it's so long since I'd heard of that one, I''d forgotten all about it!).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    A large hose clamp is a great preventative measure. This one was completely busted now works. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1399846652.069606.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	56080
    The later motor fits the earlier mechanism fine. It's a stronger unit & quieter.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1399846844.235096.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	56081 obviously left & right ones shown.
    I'd never noticed they were different! Is it the winder part that is different (mot the mountiing point). I've probably got both types here. The wiring on the later cars doesn't break. Rather than just going through the 'A' pillar into the door, where it flexes at one point (and readily breaks). It exist down low on the pillar, and enters up high on the door, so it flexes slightly twists the length of wiring, rather than aggressively flexing the wiring at one point.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    early ones did that due to slamming forces of the door. A stick of wood between the motor and door frame prevented this (it's so long since I'd heard of that one, I''d forgotten all about it!).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Like my mum always said "Don't Slam The Door"
    Cheers Gerry

Default CX window motor

Best to put on the clamp before it completely breaks apart CX window motor-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1399850001.852936.jpg this unit is cracked & the clamp has holes to better attached to the drive shaft atop than the other. The gear is the same even though looks different.CX window motor-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1399850263.053998.jpg As I have interchanged them. I'm planning to install power windows in the back of one of my CX's. The front mechanisms fit the back. The Peugeot's of the era probably use the same motors? They even look very similar to ones out of an XD Fairmont we once had.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi Shane,

The motor was fine, it is the gearing that has slowed right down due to the hardening of the grease. I could get the motor off but, the gears are in a glued plastic case.
    All the other windows are slowing down and so, eventually, I will replace the whole lot with manual winders.

I have been meaning to ask - how much was the freight on the sound and heat deadening stuff you bought from the States. I want to do the same to my car.

cheers
    Warren

Try spraying some WD40 into them. It'll soften the grease up. The a grunty motor, I would have thought the window glass getting stiff would be the problem (or voltage drop in the wiring).

Not sure about postage. Check his website, he usually has current postage prices to Australia listed there. The old Pink ID19 I used it in sure is a shitload quieter (yes, very technical term) than the blue ID19 here.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi Rob,

I will take your advice and rewire all of the doors before replacing anything else - the central locking is also a bit slow...

cheers

Warren

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

The glass drops down very easily so, I think what Rob has said is correct.
    I should have checked it with another battery before pulling apart what was probably a perfectly fine motor - it would have to have some grunt though, the armature had a fair amount of resistance to turning by hand.

cheers
    Warren

i never had one fail, only thing ever slowed or stopped it was grease hardening up,a clean every year on the drivers because it got all the work because of the dreaded cx air flow, so clean and grease then no problems for me.

Regarding re-wiring the doors, each door window should have two relays. One for up & one for down. The Series 1 Haynes manual seems to only show one for both?? The addition of extra relays will greatly improve the window action & longevity of switches if you're going to update the wiring.

UFO

IIRC they are actually called window regulators, not winders or motors.

Anyway, when we had Celeste CX, one of the first jobs was repairing the lazy driver's window regulator. It was as Rob T suggested failing electrical cable - the cable had in fact broken internally and the insulation was not far off too.

Also a lazy battery or alternator can slow down window movement. Do the windows go up and down faster with the engine running at >1500rpm?

Then clean the switch internals while you're at it. Remove the switch and douse with isopropyl alcohol.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information