New Boss of the CitroŽn marque
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Boss of the CitroŽn marque

Default New Boss of the CitroŽn marque

Linda Jackson who is English is taking over and the present boss is returning to managing the Peugeot family interests in their financial holding company She is 55, spent 17 years at MG Rover and joined PSA in 2005 as Finance Director of the UK operations. Currently she is the head of the marque in the UK and Ireland but will be taking over the marque globally on Jun 1.
    A new parallel post has been created for the head of the DS marque to be occupied by Yves Bonnefont.

Advertisement
    Last edited by gerry freed; 18th May 2014 at 02:05 AM.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Interesting times ahead it seems Gerry.At least a woman in an executive position.

Extra colour choices?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Extra colour choices?
    Pathetic
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

The management of the marques is essentially one of market development and control. That is creation and support of the distribution outlets externally and the market positioning of the products. The actual products are a part of an integrated positioning strategy by PSA and wherever possible they are working to integrate design, logistics, component sourcing and product assembly to gain economies of scale. Thery have to make PSA an acceptable capital investment relative to other industry players.
    Note that DS is now a marque on its own, being positioned to be at the luxury end of several market segments. Peugeot is also being positioned up market because they do not have the cost structures to compete down at the Dacia point of the market. I haven't been able to see much clarity in the various statements by the previous management of the CitroŽn positioning but no doubt this will all become clear as this new structure is fully in place and controlling brand strategy.
    Comments about colours may be a cheap sexist jibe but the subject is deadly serious in today's marketing challenge. The manufacturers are not selling to millions of revheads and mechanical engineers, they are selling a personal transport utility to the masses. Differentiation is difficult as the engineering has converged and apart from the occasional mistake, works reliably. One big battle front is on the vehicle as a fashion statement. The DS3, the Captur and the Clio are all fighting there in the cities of Europe and colour options are an important weapon. The blue roof of the DS3 and the new Renault red have proven to be winners.

Hilariously pathetic in our pathetic age of political correctness that any comment made that would incite a response such as "pathetic" given as Gerry rightly points out colour as a marketing tool is very high on the agenda of selling vehicles. I was merely referencing the comment made by a female commentator in the 1970s on ABC's New Inventors show where Di would on cue enquire "does it come in other colours?"
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 8th May 2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling and condescension altered

Btw whenever I point out to she who must be obeyed, or her indoors, the little lady or John Laws favourite princess that there's a Citroen for sale, as she has just pointed out her first comment is invariably....
    "What colour is it?...."
    Serious stuff really.

My only query is the 17 years at MG Rover, which I'm pretty sure is defunct.
    I'm in no position of power but to get a company 'up and firing' you should chose a candidate from a company that is 'winning'? Or is this a Fire Sale situation? Also the internal promotion can be a double edged sword; have seen it work and fail.
    It would be nice if a edited version of Linda's vision is made available to the public. This could quell the fears of the current vehicle owners, future owners and majorly the investment capitalists.
    (This probably the most serious non-technical post I've ever made.)
    Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    My only query is the 17 years at MG Rover, which I'm pretty sure is defunct.
    I'm in no position of power but to get a company 'up and firing' you should chose a candidate from a company that is 'winning'? Or is this a Fire Sale situation? Also the internal promotion can be a double edged sword; have seen it work and fail.
    It would be nice if a edited version of Linda's vision is made available to the public. This could quell the fears of the current vehicle owners, future owners and majorly the investment capitalists.
    (This probably the most serious non-technical post I've ever made.)
    Brendan.
    She left MG Rover in 2005, 9 years ago and since then has held serious positions at PSA; Finance director CitroŽn UK, Managing director CitroŽn UK, Finance Director, CitroŽn France. Note that she has an MBA and for those who prefer petrol heads sending car companies broke, she should be considered a bean counter.
    What are the fears of current vehicle owners and future owners?
    I know what the reservations are of the finance markets looking at PSA - The three way control structure may not work out; large though the company is, it may have volumes too small to match the unit profitability of VW products and the other three major players; to gain economies of scale it could merge with others but has not yet found a suitable partner or political solution to its positioning; Its strategy to move up market and hide excess costs with better margins may not work because of competition from others stuck with the same unstable balance of market share and internal cost impediments.
    On the other side, with Dongfeng as a serious shareholder, currently occupied with the Chinese market and ambitions to penetrate the Asian markets the shareholders may have an upside and perhaps an exit strategy. It enjoys enough finance market support to raise the 3.5 billion euros it needs to continue.

I have some while ago moved my comments on PSA to Froggy Chat and away from the forums for the marques, reflecting the changed nature of their significance. Once CitroÍn was a company owned by soemone else that had relative freedom to conceive, design, manufacture and market cars. Today PSA carries out all those functions and the new management is centralising as far as possible to gain the economies. CitroÍn is a marque or brand to be tailored to meet a market need complimentary to their other marques - it is not a car company and the person responsible for it is only a team player in the choice of its positioning and its product image.

This forum still combines the interests in the CitroŽn and the DS marque but PSA has split them and is developing them separately in its major markets.

Sorry Gerry as my post was taken as 'playing the woman and not the ball'.
    Yes the days of running a car company by a petrol head is past but the salient point is that the purchase and ownership of a car/marque is a heart driven emotive issue as much as an economic rational choice....If it was a plain whitegoods choice the only French car would be a Romanian built Dacia, then again with the current money woes that's the trend.
    Current marque owners 'desire' a continuation of the entity with at least a more than passing acknowledgement of it's history, tradition and the technical achievement.
    The same can hold true for the aspiring owners....Do you really want to buy a car from a company that looks like the shutters are about to go up? Holden/Ford and Toyota in Australia have MASSIVE work to do in PR to keep continued customer support. The first two have current owners, fans/neophytes about to suffer 'abandonment issues'.
    Citroen, Peugeot and Renault have been producers of vehicles from the earliest days and have spanned the market from 2CV to SM/C6, Bebe to 508GT and 4CV to Megane Sport rockets. They also innovated, many of the current makers claim to but the Frogs lead the way many times. This is less important today as the engineers I cross paths with seem bereft of an independent thought, 'copy and paste' and a nice power point presentation. Then again I have to suffer the 'cheap' ones.
    The finance side is outside my sphere but the basic gist is to make money, net positive gain. No mineshafts, cover market corrections and be aware that external powers can disrupt cross border business.
    My and Brendan.

People are confused by mixed messages. The government and unions want to define presence of a car marque by local manufacture. The manufacturers want to follow Coca Cola with globally recognised brands and with their point of manufacture decoupled from the marketing.
    GM, Ford and Toyota no longer see economic sense in manufacture in Australia and in making vehicles in small quantities on platforms other than the ones from which they derive their economies of scale. That doesn't mean that they will withdraw from selling and supporting their global cars in Australia. That is a decision that relates to other factors - primarily, can they sell in a competitive and fragmented market at a price that makes them money somewhere?
    ADR's, import restrictions and local regulations don't help.
    You can't put Renault-Nissan and PSA in the same basket.
    There are four car makers that have the volume to determine the commercial environment for the others - Toyota, VW Group, Renault Nissan and GM; the rest are looking for niches.
    It so happens that the US domination of the Australian market and its modest size have not made it an attractive investment proposition for the three French marques that are now owned in different corporate structures - Renault in alliance with Nissan and PSA, part Chinese owned holding the CitroŽn and Peugeot brands. Added to that PSA has created a third brand DS, on which much of its market development strategy depends.
    Both groups are globalising rapidly and their interest in the difficult Australian market has to rank behind the big numbers of China, Russia, South America
    etc.

Their innovation in recent years has been in directions of little interest to Australians brain washed by the Americans- lower pollution, higher economy, smaller road footprints, electric propulsion, diesels, longer service periods, low energy tyres etc.
    They have few good reasons to tough it out in Australia, unless you admire the current features of their cars and are prepared to write a cheque.

Thread Information