Dee Plastic Bits
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Dee Plastic Bits

Default Dee Plastic Bits

Does anyone in Melbourne have a spare spark plug cap/ guide which I could borrow for an evening. Attached image is the best I can do with memory and some inadequateDee Plastic Bits-dplugcapsmall.jpg photographic references.
    We've got a new 3D printer coming next week and I'm dying to give it a go!
    Also the top battery retainer frame. A previous owner for Sue has built a RUGGED aluminium frame but it's problematic on a few counts. Attached image again for reference.Dee Plastic Bits-topholderbattery.jpg

Advertisement

SF

Dude....

Citroworld | Dť webshop voor al uw CitroŽn auto-onderdelen (CitroŽn DS, H, HY, HZ en 2CV) en speciale gereedschap

why don't you just buy a new set of leads and be done with it, get 2 for good measure, they'll be here in a week.

Citroworld | Dť webshop voor al uw CitroŽn auto-onderdelen (CitroŽn DS, H, HY, HZ en 2CV) en speciale gereedschap

Maybe you can bundle the freight?

The first thing I would do with any newly acquired D is, plugs, insulators, leads, diss cap, coil, oil filter and gaskets, condensor, and rotor..... and then some.

But, but, but.... I want to try out my new printer!
    Thanks for the addresses nonetheless Michael, much appreciated. I'm making up a (long) list of required parts before I place an order and just wanted to stave off frustration by printing these bits in the meantime.

SF

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    Does anyone in Melbourne have a spare spark plug cap/ guide which I could borrow for an evening. Attached image is the best I can do with memory and some inadequateClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DPlugCapSmall.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	55938 photographic references.
    We've got a new 3D printer coming next week and I'm dying to give it a go!
    Also the top battery retainer frame. A previous owner for Sue has built a RUGGED aluminium frame but it's problematic on a few counts. Attached image again for reference.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TopHolderBattery.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	55940

SF
    The battery frame was never plastic as far as I know (plastic would have made too much sense). It's a bloody ripper battery tiedown where shorting across the battery terminals is required . Use recessed terminal batteries at your own risk ( don't ask ).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    But, but, but.... I want to try out my new printer!
    Thanks for the addresses nonetheless Michael, much appreciated. I'm making up a (long) list of required parts before I place an order and just wanted to stave off frustration by printing these bits in the meantime.

SF
    Are you able to 3D scan ID19`s Steering wheel dash plastic cover? I was thinking to buy 3d printer for it but learnt it is difficult to make a file and 3D scanning can be expensive.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

I think a short to the battery cover is what set my 1993 DS19 alight.

Roger

Buy a X-box kinect 1st version if you can find one they now sell new for $50 download the 3d scanning software place your item on a turntable and let the kinect scan it, smooth out the model and 3-print it.

Here is a very basic how-to Locket of Love: From Kinect to 3D Printing

The kinect is a amazing bit of kit and i use one for 3d depth in my full size digital pinball machine.

A video of myself explaining it BAM+Future Pinball+Kinect Example - YouTube just to show the power of what the kinect can do.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Are you able to 3D scan ID19`s Steering wheel dash plastic cover? I was thinking to buy 3d printer for it but learnt it is difficult to make a file and 3D scanning can be expensive.
    It can be scanned but I don't have those facilities. However I could probably re-create it easily enough. If you send me the part or bring it in I'll have a go. Getting a good print is another issue but armed with the 3D there are professional bureaux which will deliver quality results hard to tell from original.
    Send me a P M.

SF

I have a spare one, it's a bit grubby and the hole in the centre has been widened which you could probably reduce with plastercene oe such like. PM me your address and I'll post it to you. Dee Plastic Bits-imageuploadedbytapatalk1399640395.677359.jpg
    83 2CV Charleston

79 GSA
    01 Renault Scenic

Had a chance to look at the Dee Spark Plug covers today. It shows you how wrong you can get by just following photos or inadequate drawings. Dee Plastic Bits-dsplugcap-b.jpgDee Plastic Bits-dsplugcap-.jpg

The correct one should be obvious to those in the know.
    I'll check a couple of dimensions and make a drawing then try a sample 3D print on my NEW printer

SF

You've got the bones of some very groovy chairs there.

Default yeah

I can appreciate not taking the easy way out, however, in this instance it seems ridiculous. 27 euro and you are home and hosed, and some new leads into the bargain. ....... and 3 other caps and some nice new rubber grommets for the distributor and coil. I'm sure there is something that can't be sourced that would be more useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dee Plastic Bits-ignition-leads-carb.jpg  
    Last edited by mberry; 19th May 2014 at 10:16 PM.

I reckon go nuts! I'm thinking indicator/light knobs, wiper knobs straight off the cuff. I know jack about 3D printers except the concept and possibilities are amazing. I'll send you some knobs if you want to have a crack, you could sell these if they print well. : )
    Steven
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 20th May 2014 at 09:57 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi SF. I haven't caught up with you although Brother John did meet you when you were having hydraulic problems in Daylesford. You probably know that I have ID parts. I'd have a battery "cage" for $25 if you were wanting one.
    It would be nice to visit you in Elphinstone. I could bring what you wanted and see the ID that you purchased.
    My email is mwfpaas@gmail.com
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    I can appreciate not taking the easy way out, however, in this instance it seems ridiculous. 27 euro and you are home and hosed, and some new leads into the bargain. ....... and 3 other caps and some nice new rubber grommets for the distributor and coil. I'm sure there is something that can't be sourced that would be more useful.
    I know it seems like a wasted effort but ponder a couple of aspects.

At present most, if not all parts for these cars are available as NOS, remanufactured or are recovered from various sources, donor cars, spares in the boot which came with your purchase etc. This wonít always be the case.

There have been a couple of threads on this forum where members are seeking and finding it difficult to find for example, plastic dashboard mouldings, high pressure pump bodies or three belt water pump pulleys.

Plastic parts in particular are very vulnerable and metal parts fatigue, corrode, wear out or rustÖ relatively quickly. Plastic parts degrade very quickly in the presence of UV and contaminants and are reliant for their replacement on the availability and maintenance of, in some cases, several hundred thousand dollars worth of steel tooling. Tools like these get damaged, lost or scrapped periodically and when that day arrives such parts will become rare and would accordingly become very expensive. It is counter intuitive to look at a 10c part and find out that it comes from $100,000 worth of machined steel but thatís the reality.

Co-incidentally I believe that we are on the brink of a new industrial revolution. The need for toolmakers, moulding tools, supply chains and many types of factory is now disappearing as fast as the typing pool did when Microsoft Word appeared on our PCís. In most of our lifetimes we will see the day when a home 3D printer is as ubiquitous as our laptop or I-pad on which you are reading this diatribe.

3D printers need 3D data.

The Dee was designed and built in the days of 2D paper information and is therefore vulnerable to data loss. I realise that 1.5 million were built and that we are still reasonably cushioned from their disappearance but this will not always be the case.

I would not waste my time on many artefacts from the 20th century. The fifties in particular was stuffed with many obscene design lumps best forgotten. I believe that the Dee flew in the face of the trend of this lost era and was intuitively recognised by a discerning element of the population for its integrity and that this recognition still echoes today, 50-60 years later.

The effort of re-creating bits can be disproportionate to the result. The part which prompted this thread took me less than an hour to model and about 40 minutes to print. I would not mind betting that it took weeks to design and months to tool the original part. Some parts are simple and some will knock me back on my heels for a bit but at the end of the day Iíll have a collection of files which, by and large will be useful. Thatís the benefit of digital information. Once the data is shared some kind of immortality is assured. Many of us use the term Ďcustodianí to describe our ownership of these vehicles and compiling a 3D data base is just an other contribution.

Thereís a second aspect to this exercise which I find interesting. Why did the original designer choose to take a particular approach with the detail of the part? The spark plug cap is a case in point. In the image it has a couple of odd pointy bits (circled) which I couldnít quite fathom out. Dee Plastic Bits-deeplugs.jpg
    Once I re-constituted the 3D the penny dropped. It was a way of getting round a tooling problem.
    It's sort of satisfying to join up the dots and build a more complete understanding.

SF

Good luck Scott frog.
    I think I have just about had enough of this forum, it's capacity to attract new enthusiasts without filtering the morons is too much to put up with. Your capacity to drill down into the completely irrelevant aspects of DS restoration is dumbfounding! You bought a ridiculous car for stupid money and you want to get into the macro detail of a spark plug cap?
    Delete me now!

Kind regards Mberry0
    Last edited by mberry; 20th May 2014 at 10:54 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The best things to try and re-create would be early DS dash parts, ID19 side vents for the dash and dash top. They have turned to glass from sun exposure over the years and aren't easy to find.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Knobbing, most D's these days need/deserve good knobbing...

Fellow Frogger!

Well ,I certainly don't agree with mberry. I knew nothing about these 3D printers till the other day but scotfrog ---- this is brilliant and it is these ideas that make this forum so valuable to me.
    I have a list of at least 5 ID owners that are desperate for the plastic dash parts and vents. Even the plastic toggle switch that operates.
    "A 3D Revolution" BRING IT ON ----------- Michael
    PS If mberry was "wafting along" on a cushion of air in a '62 ID at 70mph he'd think twice about that remark he posted.

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    Good luck Scott frog.
    I think I have just about had enough of this forum, it's capacity to attract new enthusiasts without filtering the morons is too much to put up with. Your capacity to drill down into the completely irrelevant aspects of DS restoration is dumbfounding! You bought a ridiculous car for stupid money and you want to get into the macro detail of a spark plug cap?
    Delete me now!

Kind regards Mberry0
    I appear to have offended you Michael. That was absolutely not my intention. Your contribution to this forum I have actually found invaluable, particularly your restoration thread and will be used by me as a standard I would aim for in my own Dee restoration.

Again if I offended, my sincere apologies.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    Well ,I certainly don't agree with mberry. I knew nothing about these 3D printers till the other day but scotfrog ---- this is brilliant and it is these ideas that make this forum so valuable to me.
    I have a list of at least 5 ID owners that are desperate for the plastic dash parts and vents. Even the plastic toggle switch that operates.
    "A 3D Revolution" BRING IT ON ----------- Michael
    PS If mberry was "wafting along" on a cushion of air in a '62 ID at 70mph he'd think twice about that remark he posted.
    YES that ID DASH cover Speedo surrounding cover and SIDE Vents !
    I was carrying that dash cover and going down stair, vibration from walking down the stairs shattered it to million pieces! Now it is repaired with fibre glass backing and epoxy, melting plastic. But I can see they are not bonding strong. Plastic they used was sxxt. I know in USA someone made new ones but it is only for LHD car
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Knobbing, most D's these days need/deserve good knobbing...
    Knobbing is easy. Small simple geometry parts are easy to model and quick to print. Dashboard parts, anything bigger than say 250 x 250 x 250 needs to be done in sections then bonded together. One part I'm about to tackle next is the flexible coupling which activates the self-levelling headlights. One of mine has been replaced by a hacked about eraser and won't last.

At present the home printers are still 'jaggy' in terms of resolution compared to bureaux services, a bit like the early 9 pin printers compared to today's Laserjets. But that is changing. My new printer beats our previous one hands down for less money and far more control and can print 2 materials at once.

Printing, then finishing with a good primer paint can deliver perfect surface results and in a plastic which is pretty well production spec.

The most important thing is the data. That will always remain micron perfect. It's just a matter of how faithful the printers can be.

Your previous post about lenses got me thinking. One of my indicator lenses is broken and both have faded. The bureaux can now print transparent plastics and, I think, colour tinted. I'm going to have a go at this, then I'm going to have a go at the front indicators, not so easy but if produced in 2 parts and assembled after plating it is not a problem.

I've produced a 3D PDF of the first part, the spark plug cap but not sure how to upload it for viewing. If anyone's interested send me a PM and I'll email it to you. Adobe Acrobat can open it obviously then activate the 3D button and Bob's your uncle.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    The best things to try and re-create would be early DS dash parts, ID19 side vents for the dash and dash top. They have turned to glass from sun exposure over the years and aren't easy to find.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    ID19 side vents should be easy, both to model and quick to print. I may try this soon.

SF

Like any emerging technology 3D printing can be good and bad. My son in law works for a company that fits out ambulances and emergency vehicles. They have a 3D printer that they use to print dashboard extensions and switch panels. With this you take the item from the printer and drop in a solvent tank where all tags that held the job to the printers table get dissolved off. Job done and makes a good looking component.

On the other hand the school where I work bought a 3D printer. This came with gloves, some very sharp scrapers and knives which you are supposed to use the get the job off the table and clean it up. It produces novelty items at best, nothing useable. I would say a complete waste of money. It is especially poor at doing vertical components that end in a point like the D spark lead holders.

Things will get universally better with time but for now choose your 3D printer very carefully.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Like any emerging technology 3D printing can be good and bad. My son in law works for a company that fits out ambulances and emergency vehicles. They have a 3D printer that they use to print dashboard extensions and switch panels. With this you take the item from the printer and drop in a solvent tank where all tags that held the job to the printers table get dissolved off. Job done and makes a good looking component.

On the other hand the school where I work bought a 3D printer. This came with gloves, some very sharp scrapers and knives which you are supposed to use the get the job off the table and clean it up. It produces novelty items at best, nothing useable. I would say a complete waste of money. It is especially poor at doing vertical components that end in a point like the D spark lead holders.

Things will get universally better with time but for now choose your 3D printer very carefully.
    Right on.
    Ours is middle of the road. In other words useful but be prepared for a bit of finishing to get acceptable parts. The alternative is a week's modelmaking for parts which I can now get in a couple of hours.

The difficult thing to accept is the range of expectations. Those who think it's 'press the button and Hey Presto a bought one for 10 cents and 10 minutes wait!' to the other extreme, the Luddites who think it will never come of age.

An interesting exercise is to print, not the part but a cavity into which you can cast a plastic part, in other words a moulding tool from which you can get 100 repeatable parts. Again not quite as simple as I make out and only justified on a case by case basis.

SF

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread Information