Dee Plastic Bits - Page 7
  • Help
Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Dee Plastic Bits

Great stuff Ian! The mystery "link" is the lever off the air duct/vents vertical control, as mentioned many would be broken by now, the actual lever part gets hammered by unsuspecting meddling fingers! It was suggested to me to make one out of aluminium which would eliminate forevermore breakage issues. So that part is missing the lever protruding from the dash. I have an original part now so will post some measurements asap.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    You reminded me that I had not followed up on seeking a quote for this part..... now done. I've had a torrid run of work since my last post which forced me to drop more interesting projects like this. Funny how making money gets in the way of living.
    I'll post the quoted price when I receive it.

I printed out some elevations on card and will contact 'Idear' to test fits to his binnacle surround before final commitment.

I requested the part in ABS and painted black and I've used this bureau before so am reasonably confident about quality. They are not unfamiliar with this kind of work. They make up a kit of plastic parts for converting LHD Corvette Stingrays to RHD versions. I discussed with them the possibility of a similar ID kit and it definitely was interesting to them. There are potential efficiency savings in a 'kit' approach. If we go down this path what would be a reasonable selection of ID parts for such a kit.

SF.
    Steering wheel cover, speed console surrounding, AIR bents LEFT AND RIGHT. I think most of people want to replace those parts at some point.... Mine are all glued and fiber-glassed from back.
    tinfoilstar likes this.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Steering wheel cover, speed console surrounding, AIR bents LEFT AND RIGHT. I think most of people want to replace those parts at some point.... Mine are all glued and fiber-glassed from back.
    I'll see if Idear has the vents and speed console parts.

The steering wheel cover is an interesting proposition and not one which I think printing can help with.
    My steering wheel has gone the way of most. In other words the cushion grip has started to delaminate from the metal core. At present it is retained by a laced leather cover which I think most people do. This is an OK solution but would let down a full restoration.

Has anyone experimented with the option of taking off a pair of silicone moulds from an undamaged original and re-moulding on to a wheel assembly with self-skinning urethane?

SF

I have a couple of takers for the plastic gear-stick cover itemised in the above quote. It would be smart to take a count of how many are required (I've got 3 firm takers). I intend to do a final check with Michael Paas's covers, print one only to confirm fit etc. then seek a quote based on volume. I'm thinking about 10? Obviously I don't want to order 10 and find that the three original takers are the only ones!
    PM me any interest. Also which gear shift pattern.

SF

Fellow Frogger!

I'll take one but I need it, with the early gearchange pattern. This could create a problem for you?
    I think the change came in 1963.
    Michael

Print indicator lenses. Great. Can i order a pair for my cx prestige? Havnt checked new ones price but printed ones ought 2b cheaper, yes?

Via the aussiefrogs App

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilstar View Post
    Print indicator lenses. Great. Can i order a pair for my cx prestige? Havnt checked new ones price but printed ones ought 2b cheaper, yes?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Clear plastics can be done but I'm not sure if the clarity is as good as moulded P.C. lens material. I would have thought CX parts would be still available?

SF

Dee Plastic Bits-image.jpg

Iain the measurements for the lever are:

to end from centre of hole: 36.58mm

end diameter 6mm

maintains curved profile right around edge.

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    I'll take one but I need it, with the early gearchange pattern. This could create a problem for you?
    Michael
    Hello I would like one with my 1961 shift pattern. Hi Micheal any chance visiting you befor end of this year? So I can grab that sun visor if you still have it? If ok I will do "Castlemaine ID1961 challenge"
    Please let me know. I can come even weekday if suit you. Thanks
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Fellow Frogger!

I'll be back in Castlemaine by the 18th Dec. Yes I have the sunvisor. Is it possible to take off the other one so I can supply one that matches the colour. It will be good to see you Kazu.
    Getting back to what this thread is all about; --- Iain, I have a request for an indicator switch. The switch is working fine but the plastic green "toggle" has broken.
    I have some others (also 6 volt) with the toggles missing. I wonder how we'd (you) would go reproducing them.
    When I return to Castlemaine I'll give you one and the steering cover.
    I'm pleased I organised the steering rack for you as you are giving over so much of your time which we appreciate SO MUCH.
    Michael

I'll be back in Castlemaine by the 18th Dec. Yes I have the sunvisor. Is it possible to take off the other one so I can supply one that matches the colour. It will be good to see you Kazu.
    Getting back to what this thread is all about; --- Iain, I have a request for an indicator switch. The switch is working fine but the plastic green "toggle" has broken.
    I have some others (also 6 volt) with the toggles missing. I wonder how we'd (you) would go reproducing them.
    When I return to Castlemaine I'll give you one and the steering cover.
    I'm pleased I organised the steering rack for you as you are giving over so much of your time which we appreciate SO MUCH.
    Michael
    See you when you get back Michael and thanks for picking up re-conditioned steering rack. I know the indicator toggle switch you are asking about and I'll model it anyway. Clear plastics are available and I think tinted too but how well it matches the one we need to match is a moot point.
    Maybe catch up with Kazu also when he's in the area?

SF

Another one bites the dust.
    Thank Idear for the sample.Dee Plastic Bits-20150105_idind_a.jpgDee Plastic Bits-20150105_idind_b.jpg
    SF

Fellow Frogger!

That looks excellent. I have a couple of indicator mechanisms that have the plastic toggle switches missing apart from the broken ones I need to replace. The two I have are the 6volt version. I'm wondering if there is a simple way of using the 6volt switch on the later 12 volt ID.
    I'll need to look back to the thread that discussed this subject.
    Anyway, thankyou. William Hastie in QLD will appreciate the replacement switch.
    Michael

I'm not back in the office yet so no chance to take a proof print. I'll do so as soon as possible then anyone who wants the STL file for bureau printing just send me a PM. I'll drop your sample back soon Michael and maybe if you can let me look at Forumnoreason's broken part (8th Dec post above) so I can be sure to get that one right.

SF

Back in harness.. so thought I should test print the indicator switch.
    This photo shows how it looks warts and all and not how the expensive printers print. But it serves the purpose.
    Dee Plastic Bits-20150112_idind_b.jpg

SF

74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Michael
    If it's not too late, I would like to be on that list. My car is a 1961 ID Parisienne.
    Thanks

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    i'm sure I've seen ID
    steering column covers sale, repros somewhere... but where? hmmm
    I know that Miles had them, but of course they were for LHD only.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Default Lying low.

I've been lying low since Christmas partly through over-indulging, partly through laziness but mostly through finishing the kitchen re-build for SWMBO. Sorry guys, no negotiations on priorities here. The new drawers and door fronts arrived this afternoon, hopefully in by the weekend and then I'll do my best to get on with outstanding promises.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Aha! Printerman is not alone in this world!

SF

Well, well.
    The green Sanor relay cover. Scot sent me an STL for it years ago. I never tried it, didn't need it.
    Gave it to someone else who did, he disappeared.
    Now I gave it to someone else, he did print it.
    Says it was 1 mm. too small on each side, made it bigger, it fits.
    He posted a photo of it. The colour, OK, it's the flash. He says it's fine. But... does it look right to you?
    Is it the STL or is it the printer?
    Ken W likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    Well, well.
    The green Sanor relay cover. Scot sent me an STL for it years ago. I never tried it, didn't need it.
    Gave it to someone else who did, he disappeared.
    Now I gave it to someone else, he did print it.
    Says it was 1 mm. too small on each side, made it bigger, it fits.
    He posted a photo of it. The colour, OK, it's the flash. He says it's fine. But... does it look right to you?
    Is it the STL or is it the printer?
    Looks like a low res output, the file will be ok as it behave like vector. If Scotfrog is around I'm sure he'll chime in

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Does anyone have an original? I modelled this based on one which was loaned to me.
    If you can provide maximum dimensions for 'X', 'Y' and 'Z', I'll check my original file and re-export if need be.
    I have found some printers tend to print marginally over-size (by about 0.2mm), not under-size so this is liable to be a mistake on my part.
    SanorRelay.JPG
    The new printers are capable of very good resolution with barely perceptible print-marks. I got a sample in nylon from the new HP printer recently which was, in terms of finish AND structure very impressive.It would still need to be painted of course since it is difficult to get raw material in any colour you want but that allows you to address surface finish so no real hardship.
    ScotFrog

I can send you the modified file if you'd like, just PM me where.
    So those stripes and dots are "print marks"? Due to... cheap printer, cheap material, wrong temperature... ?
    And going to a shop with better equipment/knowledge would likely produce a "smooth" one, right?

Default Dash cover.

SlopeDashCover.JPG
    Hi Don,
    I'll send my email address to you via private message later.
    Yes, print marks are not a feature of the CADD modelling process but the limitations of the printers and this includes nearly all makes and types. My new printer is not bad for $3,000 AUD. If printing in something like ABS, then if you sand with wet and dry followed by primer/surfacer and a top coat, you can deliver an almost professional result. Quality available now is getting to be quite good and the old bugbear, speed, is being addressed. Size is still a bit of an issue, anything over 200 mm tends to warp if you don't get the temperatures absolutely correct. The slopey dash gear-stick cover is pushing the limits although I do have it CADD modelled now, thank you Idear.
    I haven't printed too many things for the D recently, too many other commitments but now the man cave is finished hopefully I can re-fire up the DS restoration once again.
    SF
    GreenBlood and bleudanube like this.

Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567

Thread Information