C5 X7 intermitten faults
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: C5 X7 intermitten faults

Default C5 X7 intermitten faults

Bonjour

I have had a couple of times had a fault with the C5 that has caused some anxiety, while going around a corner the car goes into alarm engine stops & I have to pull over to the side turn off wait for a couple of minutes then restart to clear then off I go, I have seen a thread re: this on this site before & it suggests that the battery could be the cause, so I went to a battery place to get it load tested, results were that it is low but should be ok, I priced a battery anyway as I don't want to have it happen, price is retail $419.00 apparently it is an AGM battery (not sure what that is) does all all this sound about right?

Cheers

Advertisement

Is your oil level OK?

1000+ Posts

Absorbed Glass Mat -- see VRLA battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. They recharge quickly. C5s come with batteries to suit stop-start operation, like the C4s. I don't know why.

There's some sales blarney here: http://www.firststartbatteries.com.a...gmbattery.html

I suggest you give the battery terminals a clean as this helped my old battery last a bit longer.

I think it should have stored some fault codes during the event so perhaps you should get them read.

I had a couple of huge hiccup events during our early ownership that put the car into limp home mode with all warning lights on. That turned out through fault code reading to be a dud engine fuse box that was replaced under warranty.

I have replaced the battery in my C5X7 with a normal Supercharge one from Autobarn that cost about $200. Quite successful.

Regards,

Ken W

Thanks guys for the quick response
    Addo I regularly have it serviced so would expect the levels to be good
    Ken W what would be the correct normal battery to get & will that upset the dealers ??

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leanmor View Post

Addo I regularly have it serviced so would expect the levels to be good
    If the engine has started to use oil it will be no respecter of service intervals - in the past using as much as a litre per thousand km was considered normal for some engines (no french ones of course ).

Do modern cars such as this still have an engine dipstick? I know that dipsticks in auto transmissions are a thing of the past...

If dipsticks are still provided with engines (& our 2006 307 had one) then eliminating oil level as a factor would be a trivial task. Just park the car on level ground, equip yourself with a tissue or piece of rag, open the bonnet and look for the orange or yellow knob (about the size of the end of a thumb). The owner's handbook should give guidance in opening the bonnet and finding the dipstick.

Pull the knob upwards. A long wire or thin flat blade should come out of it's 'scabbard' - this is the dipstick. The lower end of it should be covered in an oily film. The upper edge of this film is the oil level - you may need to wipe the dipstick, reinsert into the scabbard and remove again to get an accurate reading.

There should be two marks (usually lines or notches) roughly 1 cm apart near the lower end of the dipstick. The oil level should be on or just below the upper mark. If it is on or below the lower mark, your oil needs topping up - it may take a litre or more if the level is below the lower mark. To avoid overfilling, add a little at a time (no more than 250 mm initially), allow time for the new oil to trickle into the sump (at least 30 seconds to a minute) then check the level. Repeat until the level on the dipstick is just below the full line, and re-check after next use.

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 7th May 2014 at 04:13 PM.

I seem to remember that Ateco did recommend supercharge batteries for Alfas and Citroens so there should not be a dealer issue. I think that Brisbane Citroen also fit this brand as a replacement battery. The Supercharge web site battery finder is not working at present but I think I picked the biggest euro style battery that would fit. I will check out the type number when I get home from work tonight.

I really think you should get your error codes read as that will most likely give you a direction to head in and hopefully before you end up getting the car smashed. Does anyone know where someone in SA can get codes read for a fair charge?

Cheers,

Ken W.

Fellow Frogger!

Ken W and others are right, get fault codes downloaded, but my money is on a faulty fusebox. Battery World sells a battery for C5s with 30 mths guarantee, same type as original, $204 here. Google them for SA address, they're Australia wide.

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo
    ...A long wire or thin flat blade should come out of it's 'scabbard' - this is the dipstick.
    Scabbard. Spot the theatrical poster.

Supercharge battery I fitted was a MF66H. Ratings on this one are not quite up to those of the Varta.
    I had to fiddle with the mounting lugs at the bottom to get it locked in but otherwise it has been OK over the last year.

Cheers,

Ken W

Thread Information