Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours

Well I swapped this for a shiny blue ID19 a couple of weeks back.... After saying "it shouldn't leave the shed, 'cos anything I touch will certainly break"....

So I put some nice fresh 98 octane brew in it .... Hmm, soon after it felt to be running lean..... Then the idle dissapeared... Yep, no doubt now, idle jet blocked, I think the pickup for the main jets is "partially" blocked too.

Those high octane brews are full of fuel system cleaners. It's been sitting in my shed for a week, with me thinking "just don't touch it, return it broken and don't tell anyone" First stop is the fuel filter .... um.... search .... search some more, crawl under it ................ Arrrh, bloody Citroen, they can't mess with my mind, I've been here before, it'll be at the back, hidden behind a rubber gaiter .... a plastic throw-a-way fuel filter (yeah they caught me with that one on the carby CX's) .... .hmmm..... No But jump out and do a happy dance anyway We have scored a plastic fuel tank, so it can't be full of rust flakes.... It's sure not being dropped by me either (someone else can have the "pleasure" of laying under it fighting heavily corroded fasteners ... I reckon you'd tear the mounts off the chassis before you unscrewed the bolts.).

Advertisement

This should be a fuel filter right Not a pipe joining it ... DON'T PULL THE PIPE OFF to measure the hole for a filter ................ It's lower than the tank, I'm VERY sure the tank pickup is not blocked.... If you pull that off you get fuel pouring out ..... without letup ... almost certainly until the tank is dry (so you frantically just plug it back together ). It's 6.3mm the metal hose ( once you work out to measure that bit rather than disconnect it )

Urghhh... bloody Solex, the GS has one of these mongrels. At least this one runs right, the GS I piffed the mongrel bloody thing and fitted a weber off the parts car. I don't know why I couldn't get the GS version of this carby to work.

Now here's something really interesting, I've never seen this on a carby before. This car has some really strange behaviour, if you do a stone cold .... < 5degrees cold start full choke .... It won't rev even to back it out of the shed, unless you push the choke in ...... See the lever my finger is on, that pushes the choke flap open, so the car can breath (and rev above high idle) with the choke fully out ..... Not really and issue in Australia....

This is blocked off, should this be driving the "choke flap opening" mechanism ?

This is a ripper little fuel filter in the carbies inlet, so I'm not sure how it has blocked jets given this filter is quite clean. There''s a couple of burred screws on the top of the carby, so sadly someone has been here before. I wouldn't have been surprised if this was all untouched (the car hasn't done a lot of miles from new).

I'm not really keen to whip the top off and clean the fuel bowl ( I'm imagining spring loaded bits from that choke mechanism flying off and bouncing off the shed walls as I lift the lid.... then me spending hours trying to find them, then trying to figure out how the hell they go back together). If I'm lucky the jets on the side are the blocked ones

I've just been searching ebay for a reasonable high filtration filter.... In 6.3 ( 1/4" ) there all crappy bloody throw-away low flow lawn mower filters. Something like this could be ok 'cos you can see if it's catching anything :

Universal Reusable Fuel Filter FOR 6mm 1 4" Hoses Glass Chrome Motorcycle Harley | eBay

You can see the issue though, it's only any good enough to stop pebbles and rocks. Does anyone now of a nice high filtration fuel injected "tin can" like fuel filter with 1/4" fuel line connectors That would be ideal.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I still think it should be just returned... I could just calmly walk away pretending I know nothing about it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160988.jpeg   Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160989.jpg   Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160990.jpg   Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160991.jpg   Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160992.jpg   Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160994.jpeg  

Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160995.jpg  
    lozenge likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Why do you need a fuel filter anyway? My car does not have one.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

The ID19 It will probably have 3 fuel filters, the one someone will have fitted into the fuel line between the carby and pump, the built in, cleanable stack filter (stack of discs) in the top of the fuel pump, and the stack of discs in the fuel tank pickup

Why do you need a filter So the carby doesn't get full of muck from the fuel system... and block the carbies jets up whiel your driving along.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    The ID19 It will probably have 3 fuel filters, the one someone will have fitted into the fuel line between the carby and pump, the built in, cleanable stack filter (stack of discs) in the top of the fuel pump, and the stack of discs in the fuel tank pickup

Why do you need a filter So the carby doesn't get full of muck from the fuel system... and block the carbies jets up whiel your driving along.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I SEE yes I remember there is a filter in the fuel pump! But mine does not have in line filterB4 carby
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    I SEE yes I remember there is a filter in the fuel pump! But mine does not have in line filterB4 carby
    Nearly every ID you see has had that filter added by a mechanic or owner, who doesn't realise there is the "cleanable" factory filters there. It certainly won't hurt have the aftermarket filters, I'm sure they will filter out much smaller particles that the factory "stack of discs".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

How is going with your resto? Too cold to work on the the car I guess....

I need to lube inside CV joint because hood has split and look dry inside. I will not remove it but I just will put grease from split and seal it with silicon or glue.

I need to look into suspension near passenger side because my low pressure lamp does not come on, I think I saw a device there.

And Now I know what MEL from Citro was talking about. Wheel is slightly loose on the passenger side when I lift my car. There is a play. Retainer nut might be loose or balls are missing.

I've been tinkering with an old caravan lately. The ID's I've just been enjoying driving. They'll get worked on over the next couple of months though (I've got no intention of driving them over winter and leaving them sitting out in the weather getting soaking wet each day).

If the driveshaft has a torn boot, you'll need to replace it, the rubber will be too deteriorated to repair. See what your local driveshaft place suggests, you won't get a stretch boot on there though. You'll probably need to slice a new boot open to fit, then try and glue it back together with something like sikaflex.

Loose wheel Don't drive it if the wheel is loose, you need the factory wheel brace to get the stud tight enough, a small alan key doesn't have the length/leverage (unless you mean the steering relays, you can just tighten then with the top nut, really you should pull them apart and clean out the dried old 50year old grease and re-grease them first).

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I've been tinkering with an old caravan lately. The ID's I've just been enjoying driving. They'll get worked on over the next couple of months though (I've got no intention of driving them over winter and leaving them sitting out in the weather getting soaking wet each day).

If the driveshaft has a torn boot, you'll need to replace it, the rubber will be too deteriorated to repair. See what your local driveshaft place suggests, you won't get a stretch boot on there though. You'll probably need to slice a new boot open to fit, then try and glue it back together with something like sikaflex.

Loose wheel Don't drive it if the wheel is loose, you need the factory wheel brace to get the stud tight enough, a small alan key doesn't have the length/leverage (unless you mean the steering relays, you can just tighten then with the top nut, really you should pull them apart and clean out the dried old 50year old grease and re-grease them first).

seeya
    Shane L.
    Yes relay lower arm seems be loose. It looks like I need special tool to tighten and open that nut though....
    I might take s photo and start new thread. Yeah no point driving rainy day not fun at all.

I have no tray under the engine (anyone got one?) so if I'm driving in heavy, heavy rain - I have effectively have no brakes. Fun!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    I have no tray under the engine (anyone got one?) so if I'm driving in heavy, heavy rain - I have effectively have no brakes. Fun!
    I think it's just a sheet of tin metal, you could probably cut it out of a sheet of 0.8mm steel Nothing like the shudder of wet DS brakes to wake you up in the morning
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I think it's just a sheet of tin metal, you could probably cut it out of a sheet of 0.8mm steel Nothing like the shudder of wet DS brakes to wake you up in the morning
    They are thin sheet of metal. You can make it but need to make dint or shape little bit for break disk so it won`t touch it

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Hi Donat, is that on Harriet? No undertray with the cutouts for air to the brakes? You should get one for sure. Richo had one for sale a long time ago (this time last year perhaps) but I think it got sold. That was probably a later one, they did change a little (around '64?) and probably again later still and yours would be the earlier one. I thought the undertray "helped" air onto the radiator as well.

Cheers leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Why do you need a fuel filter anyway? My car does not have one.

This is what happens if you get crap up from the fuel tank .... see all the stuff at the bottom of the fuel bowl. Having said that, I don't think this has come up from the tank, it's the sort of residue petrol leaves behind when it dries out from sitting for years on end.

I have no idea what the idea of the cylinder shaped part of the fuel bowl for is in the top corner I just made sure it was clean

However that valve on the top of the carby that holds the choke partially open now makes sense. As soon as you start the car, it pushes the choke flap slightly open due to the manifold pressure.... This is probably the only car ever made where someone would possibly use full throttle at the same time as the choke ifsfully out ( ). So what will happen is the manifold pressure will drop away at full throttle allowing the choke flap to fully close, so the motor won't lean out and die if 2nd barrel on the carby opens... note: in the piccies, the 2nd barrel on the carby doesn't have a choke flap, so it would lean out and die the second you need it to go if that valve wasn't there. Nifty right ?

Everything about this car amazes me, it runs about a million time better than a GS 1220 when cold, the heater works almost instantly (how ) the heater doesn't stink the car our with engine fumes and try and choke you to death ( GS owners will be well aware of that one). Everything is just amazingly effective.

Oh yeah, the blocked jet, what do you reckon, might this have something to do with it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160996.jpg   Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160997.jpg   Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160998.jpg   Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1160999.jpg   Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1170001.jpg   Why you shouldn't drive cars that aren't yours-p1170002.jpg  

'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

First nose Dees have a completely different undertray setup from later models. There are two small half-trays. They are much stronger than the flimsy later tray. Another way in which the early Dees are superior to that late ones. I once managed to rip the undertray off a D Super on a rough road.

Roger

Thread Information