What color for painting DS 21 Headlight's housing
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What color for painting DS 21 Headlight's housing

Default What color for painting DS 21 Headlight's housing

Hi,
    My DS21's headlight housings look dirty. So I'll clean and repaint it.
    But I don't know exactly what color to paint, certainly WHITE, but what kind of White, ACXXX ?

Pls tell me !

Thankyou,

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quick answer for you Caho: it's not white, but rather a light dove gray. I forget the exact number (I did go do some looking!), but IIRC the exterior wheel color should be the same. Until someone else chimes in, I'll keep looking.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I repainted mine just a few weeks ago. They had previously been painted some odd looking off white, which simply wasn't right. I took the headlight bucket to an automotive paint supplier who was able to almost perfectly colour match a custom paint by comparing the colour of the outside of the bucket which was still in original condition / colour once it had been cleaned thoroughly. They then packed it in a spray can, ready for use. Cost about $30.
    Fine sanding, plastic etch, followed by primer and top coat produced very pleasing results.

Someone else on the forum here also suggested that the original finish could be restored by progressive sanding and polishing the plastic surface, in a similar fashion to how you would restore a badly oxidized plastic headlight lens on a modern car.

I sanded mine, done 2 sets with wet and dry now. They respond well to a 4 stage progression of wet and dry, finishing with 2400. Figure on about 3-4 hours sanding each depending on how bad they are, or how course you start with, 120 grit is where I start. Not for everyone I know. Good luck, you could match a paint colour to the reverse side of the cleaned up light boxes. Assuming you are removing them to paint.

mb

I think it's AC140.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Thank you. Maybe, I'll paint it in AC140.

Thread Information