c5 - minor shudder /shakes - off throttle
  • Help

Default c5 - minor shudder /shakes - off throttle

Hello everyone, here's we go... first post virgin!

Got meself another Citroen - C5 2.0 petrol 5 sp wagon (2002). Has been taken care of by last owner pretty well. But never tested it at freeway speeds .... but issue became apparent post-purchase - when backing off the throttle there's a gentle shaking of the car - maybe uni joints? Other issues? And maybe I'm just paranoid but it seems to be getting slightly worse ...

Can overcome this by just easing off throttle like a sponge. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Advertisement

Another issue: The gearshift seems pretty sloppy - mostly in neutral and sometimes requires patience when shifting into 2nd. All other gears are smooth and straightforward. Car did have some linkage work, I understand at around 90K klms - is now 165K klms. I'm told by the repair guru that I need a whole assembly on the gear shift cables - via the wreckers. Is that right? Or are there bushes that can be replaced to solve this issue. Will be sourcing a Hayes manual on this soon ... but wondered if any of you out there have had these experiences ... and more so, what the solutions were.

Car is great! Makes driving a pleasure. Keeps the brain active with all that gear changing and is a delight when pushed. This is my first manual car since mid-80's - Im happy to be back "driving" a car (besides all that stuff re the AL4 has put me right off autos).

Anyhow, hope to hear from some of you learn-ed ones soon!

Cheers

Hi Balouk,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. It sounds to me like you shakes could be caused by failed or sloppy engine gearbox mounts. The drivers side engine mount rubber block has an internal space filled with oil or air that the engine rides very softly on on. Check to see if this is in good condition or whether the rubber block has torn and ruptured. Also check the dogbone fore aft restraining rod at the bottom/back of the engine that restrains the fore aft rocking movement between power on and power off as this is another area where it can all bounce around a bit.

Check to see if there is any looseness on where the cables connect to the gearbox selectors. The plastic inserts that go over the selector ball ends on these joints do fall apart after 10 years of so of use. This was a major issue with BXs where the linkage would eventually fall off but the cable change on my Xantia Activa 1998 still feels OK.

A Haynes manual should prove invaluable and help you to become more knowledgeable about the car.

Cheers,

Ken W

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for responding. From memory, one of the engine mounts was rrplaced at last service. Will certainly check out the other possibilities together with gear shift connections. Haynes manual to the fore on Wednesday night and time to look closely this weekend. Cheers & best regards
    Balouk

Thread Information