C2 Parts Database recommends the incorrect oil filter cover.
  • Help

Default C2 Parts Database recommends the incorrect oil filter cover.

Hi,

Just a heads up for people using the C2 Parts Database for ordering parts.

Advertisement

Put my 2004 C2 1.6 VTR in for a minor service the Tuesday before Easter with a new mechanic (have moved locations) and while the young aggressive apprentice was doing the oil change he cracked the internals (spring mount) of the oil filter cover. Two days to get a new cover delivered (we are in a regional centre) and when the cover arrived it was the wrong size and would not fit.

I got onto a Citroen parts supplier in Sydney to check the part number, gave them my VIN (VF7MNFUC97130596) and they came up with the same part number as the wrong size part (1103J5). I sent them a photo of the part taken from the car next to the 1103J5. The one from the car is not as tall and is a little wider.
    Parts supplier then came up with the part number 1103L7. They sent back a photo and it sure looks like the correct one. Interesting though is the difference in quoted price, the 1103J5 was $55, the 1103J7 is $181.
    Gave the new part number to the mechanic so he could reorder the 'correct' part. Which I thought he would do that afternoon (Thursday before Easter)
    We left town for a week and when back I dropped into mechanics this Monday afternoon on the way home from work. Car not done, they did not order the part until the Thursday before ANZAC day (a week after I gave them the new part number) and the part had not arrived.
    Been checking each day, part still not arrived. Finally arrived Friday afternoon. Wrong part (1103J5), they used the VIN to order the oil filter cover, not the part number I gave them. I gave them the new part number again and they think they might be able to get the part by Tuesday.

Root of the problem is that the C2 parts database seems to be incorrect in relation to the C2's VIN.

I though I would look for a spare when this first happened before Easter and found a part via an eBay trader in Europe for $32 delivered. In the order process I gave them my VIN and they also came back with the 1103J5. Had to convince them that I needed a 1103J7 which also fits some C4 Picassos and the C-Elysee.

Not sure how many other discrepancies between VINs and part number might lurk in the database.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Fellow Frogger

The VIN is incorrect, should be ..JMN.... You only need to give them the last 8 of the VIN and it will be found. Your RPO is 10046. If you turn off the filtering you would see that your engine has the same filter housing part number listed on three diagrams for your engine in the C2. The earliest one has the J5 cover listed, while the later diagrams both list a L7 part. The filters are all given as 1109CK on each diagram. Seems like an error. You might suggest the parts vendor advise PSA as they presumably have an account with Citroen Service.

Thanks David.
    My bad typing in the first post the VIN is VF7JMNFUC97130596. The mechanic has it correct as he has taken it off the car for ordering.
    What do you mean by "If you turn off the filtering" David? I have not seen the database nor dealt with the mechanic's parts supplier directly, just seen the results of the parts vendor sending out an incompatible part, twice. I'll pass this info onto the mechanic and hopefully he will pass it onto the parts vendor.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

Fellow Frogger

'Filtering' is the term that Citroen Service uses to limit the results to those relevant to the specific VIN. If you select 'Without Filtering' in the left menu, you can view a series of diagrams covering all variants. You then have to know enough about your car to be able to select the correct diagram. With BX and XM1, you have no choice but to do this as filtering is not reliable for those old models.

It is actually possible that the diagram for your car is not wrong. Has your car had a crash or an engine change? What tends to happen is they will update the parts list so that if you buy an entire assembly, you might order the new style part and not the old one. If you are ordering just the filter cover in this case, the parts list may be correct because you might be ordering the cover for an old style housing that was the original equipment. Both may still take the same filter insert. I can't tell you exactly, but if your car has had another engine from a later car or had the filter housing replaced, it might already have a later style unit fitted, assuming there was such a change during production - at about RPO 10072 it would seem. It may not actually be an error in the database at all.

Thanks for that information David, very interesting and informative.
    All my prior searches on the car before I bought it around 5 years ago indicate that it had not been in any crashes nor had an engine change and it has had neither since I have owned it.
    Sounds like the second scenario re the RPO and a change during production.
    Again, I'll pass this info onto the mechanic and hopefully he will pass it onto the parts vendor.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

Thread Information