C4 spare tyre
  • Help

Thread: C4 spare tyre

Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 spare tyre

Hi all,
    tinkering around on the C4 this morning (C4 1.6HDI EGS) and seeing as my front tyres are starting to get low on tread and will need replacing soon, I thought I'd rotate the spare tyre onto one of the wheels as it is still brand new.
    The 4 road tyres are Continental Sport Contact2's 205/55/R16 91W.
    The spare tyre is a full size tyre and I thought would be ok. It has never been used and still has 100% tread on it.
    So I pull it out and notice it is a Michelin 195/65/R15, so it is not quite compatible with the other 4 tyres.
    But the interesting thing is it has two stickers attached to the rim stating maximum speed of 50mph/80kmh.

These seem to be French warning stickers and not put on here in Australia.

My point is that even though it is a full size spare and a proper Michelin road tyre, it makes it kind of useless as a spare tyre. They may as well have used a space saver tyre and given some more boot space or something. Seems it might be more useful on my trailer rather than the car.

Advertisement

Any other C4 owners or othe models noticed the same thing on their car?

(see attached pictures)

Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C4 spare tyre-p4300194.jpg   C4 spare tyre-p4300193.jpg  

Common practice. Iirc it's an EEC requirement that if the spare wheel doesn't match the road wheels then it must be fitted with the speed limiter stickers.
    At least you've got a proper spare wheel, can't fit one on the Picasso, and the new Grand Picasso can't even have a spare wheel.

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by gembee View Post
    Hi all,
    My point is that even though it is a full size spare and a proper Michelin road tyre, it makes it kind of useless as a spare tyre. They may as well have used a space saver tyre and given some more boot space or something. Seems it might be more useful on my trailer rather than the car.

Any other C4 owners or othe models noticed the same thing on their car?

(see attached pictures)

Glenn
    Yeah. That's why I call it a "space-waster" spare. It's full size but subject to same speed restrictions as the space-saver variety. So Citroen might as well have got one of the space-savers and which would at least take up less room on the boot.

But nearly all manufacturers all makes do this to save money. Otherwise they have to put an alloy wheel in as a spare and that's expensive. Especially as it is hardly ever used.

TRT

Right now I've got the space saver on the Picasso. And a destroyed wheel/tyre in the boot, wife had to move off the road slightly due to a truck ON the center line and must have hit a pothole. Blew the sidewall out of the tyre and bent the rim. New wheel $700, tyre unknown at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TRT View Post
    Yeah. That's why I call it a "space-waster" spare. It's full size but subject to same speed restrictions as the space-saver variety. So Citroen might as well have got one of the space-savers and which would at least take up less room on the boot.

But nearly all manufacturers all makes do this to save money. Otherwise they have to put an alloy wheel in as a spare and that's expensive. Especially as it is hardly ever used.

TRT
    We looked at a Kia Cerrato to replace the wife's Colt, was surprised to see a MATCHING alloy spare. The Pulsar we ended up buying has a full size steel spare.

1000+ Posts

The C5 spare has a full size tyre on a steel rim, so no speed restriction. At that price I expect an alloy spare as similar cars used to have.

The alloy can surely be repaired for less than $700. Is that the Aussie price or direct from France?

Re the C4 you can get 16" steelies, so this may be your way forward.

Alloy has a big buckle in it, insurance company said no repair without accessing it.
    Placard is for 17" rims only, so legally speaking I can't run 16". But yes, 16" steel wheels was suggested and promptly shot down.

You can get one wheel airfreighted here for about €330 with post (say $525), for under $900 you could have two.

Food for thought for any body in the market for a new vehicle that does not have and desires a full size spare.

Notwithstanding that I am not in the market for a new car, if I was; I would not buy a new vehicle without a full size spare. Whether it fits on the vehicle or not is irrelevant. I would keep the "money saver" in the vehicle for an emergency and the full size spare at home in the garage. Some tyres are not readily available and it would be nice to have a full size spare readily available (and you may also carry out a proper rotation of all wheels provided that you do not have uni-directional tyres).

By asking the new car Dealer you are dealing with to quote and price a full size spare with the sale, you will get the best deal on the full size wheel. They cannot will not take the risk of losing the sale to another dealer by inflating or charging the full "spare parts" retail price on the wheel. And if they don't have one at time of vehicle pick up, tell them you'll pick it when it arrives. But you want a full size spare.

It works.

JAJEA

I have not had a flat in more than 10 years. i.e. where I had to put a spare on to keep going. Therefore I like the idea of a spacesaver spare tyre. That is until you have the boot full, car full and you get a flat. Where are you going to fit the normal flat tyre. Even on the CX, it has a steel spare 185R14 and the Alloy 6" rims with 195/70 will only just fit if they are flat. The solution is to use the sealer/inflater bottle system, then you don't waste any space with a spare and don't have to store a flat tyre in the boot.

Getting back to Glenn's issue though. I am sure the rolling circumference of the spare is the same as the normal wheels so it will be OK for normal use. However I would suggest, based on experience, not to rotate the tyres. Just buy two new ones for the front.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger

'Full-sized spare' doesn't necessarily mean a 5th rim/tyre the same as the 4 on the car. It's usually a smaller diameter steel rim with a tyre that has the same rolling diameter as the other 4. It's not a spacesaver, but you need to be very specific about what you are expecting and what is agreed to.

It may be possible to have the Picasso rim repaired, but you should be able to find a used one from a wrecker like BM Spares in Melbourne - there would be a few options. There will be a number of other PSA rims that will be the same pattern and size, but with a different style that would also do the job.

I had a slight accident that scratched the mag wheel on my C4, the repairer claimed a new mag, so I now have an alloy spare.
    Keep your eye on the wreckers, they may have an alloy to sell you.
    DS 21
    C4 HDI
    Piaggio Fly 125

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The C5 spare has a full size tyre on a steel rim, so no speed restriction. At that price I expect an alloy spare as similar cars used to have.
    Yeah, but according to the manual Citroen say your should not exceed 80Km/hour when you use it. That's why I call them space-wasters.

Thread Information