Air horn in a BX
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Air horn in a BX

Default Air horn in a BX

I've always loved the twin horn system in the CX. So thought it best to fit the same to my little BX. I didn't want to add another button drilling holes all over the place. In the end I utilized what i think was the fog light switch. I don't have this option so the switch didn't do anything. (that I noticed anyway).

Pulled the switch out and gutted the original mechanism. Retro-fitted a press on only style switch to the back of the original keeping the display/dash button the same. Using some of the alarm wires already in the car but no longer connected got power via a relay to the horn pump.

Advertisement

Horns fitted neatly on top of engine without any modification.

Still have the normal beep-beep horn on the indicator stalk but now have a big up-yours button as well.

Air horn in a BX-p1030409.jpgAir horn in a BX-p1030410.jpgAir horn in a BX-p1030411.jpg
    Out of the 1992 Saab 900 turbo and into
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

Fellow Frogger!

Was not that switch used to turn on the rear "fog" lights? I had a series 1 BX19GT once (nice car) and I think that was correct.
    But I might be wrong - has to happen one day

Michael
    BX16v
    BX Estate
    C5 HDI

Your battery might get a bit "Cranky" being so close
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder is a separate button for the air horn is necessary? The air horn relay in the DS is wired directly to the normal "country" horn. Due to the time needed for the compressor to build pressure the air horn does not sound immediately. The result is a short push of the horn will only sound the conventional horn, a prolonged push and the air horns sound too.

When the semi is moving into your lane you don't want to be fumbling for a second switch!
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

UFO

Michael, it is a two stage pull of the indicator stalk that activates the town horn (meep) then the country horn (GTF OUT OF MY WAY!) in a DS. If you pull the lever straight through you get the full whack and fairly instantly. Some have been known to be so stroppy that they bend or snap the indicator lever - but never me.

Pushing a DS indicator lever flashes the headlights. One of the disappointments is that it is impossible to flash headlights and sound the horn simultaeneously.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Michael, it is a two stage pull of the indicator stalk that activates the town horn
    Ah yes, you were kind enough to correct me on that matter before Craig ! 15th Feb, 2014:

"That would be a pull on the stalk through one or two stages. A push will flash the headlights. One of the downsides of that stalk is that you cannot flash the lights and blast the horns at the same time unless you are adept with the light stalk."

Unfortunately I find my fingers don't work quite like yours. It must be your musician's touch. All I can manage is a little pressure between my finger tip and the end of the horn lever allowing me to push same towards the rear of the car. I do find however that my method works nearly as well as yours.

Interestingly it has been found that looping a piece of twine around the lever allows one to then grasp string between thumb and forefinger and actually pull the lever forward to actuate the headlight flasher. You should try it!
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

A while back, Robmac showed some cheap timer relays - these might be good for tying the horn and high beams together. After 300ms of horn, the headlights come on...

BTW that compressor - is it a Fiamm Road Master?

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    BTW that compressor - is it a Fiamm Road Master?
    The compressor is a UNUS. Not to be confused with similar organic compressor starting in A. Although emitting similar sounds. Came off a 79 CX. The wiring in the photos is a bit messy but have tidied it up now.

I chose the location of the switch/button for it's easy access. Your hand is right there and can blast any unsuspecting heathen's off the road. I always found the silly little beep beep stalk awkward and fiddly.

If it did run the rear fog lights there ain't enough fog here in the Northern Rivers to really need it.
    Out of the 1992 Saab 900 turbo and into
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

Thread Information