My 2CV has a cold?
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default My 2CV has a cold?

My '87 2CV seems to have developed a cough. It will run along happily enough - then when changing down to accelerate, after slowing for a roundabout for example, the engine will stutter /cough as I feed in throttle - and then it sounds exactly like a sneeze - clears itself - it begins to rev again and behaves normally.

A second version of the symptom will be during a warm start - the engine catches - and then stutters - like a series of coughs and then a sneeze and it comes back to life....

I'm thinking fuel - and in particular the accelerator pump / diaphragm in the Solex carb being worn.... I have an overhaul kit on order. Does this sound about right?

Any other suggestions from the 2CV doctors?

Advertisement

Thanks and cheers,

Michael

Points or electronic ignition?

That sneeze is a wasted spark burning the fuel in the intake manifold.
    Look down the carby throat.
    Motor not running.
    Goose the throttle and look for a healthy squirt of raw fuel.
    You should be able to see it.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Well given it's a 2cv, it could be a blocked primary choke jet .................... It would be a pretty rare occasion where you'd have the 2nd choke on the carby closed
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Addo - Electronic ignition. Runs a Luminition set up....

Are you thinking more spark than fuel related?

Not in that case, no. With points, yes.

JBN

Wait until you get the overhaul kit. Then remove the carby, clean the float bowls, remove the jets and blow them clean (one at a time). Check the float level. Replace the accelerator diaphragm, they don't last forever. Fit a new fuel filter and see how you go.

What is the condition of you choke pullback device? This is mounted on the top of the carby on the driver's side. They have a diaphragm like the accelerator pump, but you have to replace the whole unit if the diaphragm is perforated. For a while the units weren't available, but you could buy a blanking plate, remove the ineffective choke release unit and insert the blanking plate to stop air leaking into the carby.

When you have done all the possible things that come to mind but you still have a carb that won't idle, have a look at the centre front of the carb at its base. There is a round moulding in the alloy body that should have a brass blanking cap. Mine fell out and the false air completely stuffed up the idle. I ended up putting bog in it but when they started remanufacturing the Solex copy in India, I grabbed one. Club Cassis were the first to market them. Apparently it is a bit hit or miss in that you either get a good one or a not so good one. I was lucky in that mine is good, much better than the worn original one. Sometimes the airways aren't properly drilled so I am told. My only grumble was the idle speed screw which was very crap brass. The thread didn't have enough bite to hold against the spring. I replaced the screw with a 4mm (?) hex headed screw and two locknuts. Much easier to get a small ring spanner in there to adjust a hot engine than try to manipulate a screwdriver. The two locknuts hold the adjustment better than the spring. The new carby came complete with a new choke pulloff device. 2CViking got it for me as Club Cassis don't take overseas credit cards (only the French....).

John

Thread Information