With 2CV's priced in Australia the way they are...
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: With 2CV's priced in Australia the way they are...

Default With 2CV's priced in Australia the way they are...

Over the years, I've seen primo 2CV's go from 10k to 20k which leads me to a rather interesting question: is it actually cheaper to buy a 2CV part by part (chassis, motor, shell, panels, etc) than to get a whole one second hand? I guess compliance would be a hurdle, but...

Curious to know what the 2CV arm of the Brains Trust think.

Advertisement

I've always wanted one but I'm a cheapskate and I actually prefer the Dyane but that's beside the point. I think there's room on my balcony to park one.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Over the years, I've seen primo 2CV's go from 10k to 20k which leads me to a rather interesting question: is it actually cheaper to buy a 2CV part by part (chassis, motor, shell, panels, etc) than to get a whole one second hand? I guess compliance would be a hurdle, but...

Curious to know what the 2CV arm of the Brains Trust think.

I've always wanted one but I'm a cheapskate and I actually prefer the Dyane but that's beside the point. I think there's room on my balcony to park one.
    what about an Ami instead ?

'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I regret not snapping up the one that was for sale in WA for years (and years) - I thought to myself, "yuck, LHD!" Funny how things have changed. I enjoy the LHD experience - always fun chatting to drivers at the lights!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger

[QUOTE=DoubleChevron;1247890]what about an Ami instead ?

... but would it come with a pet pom?

I can't see how it would be cheaper to buy a complete car in parts when you can still buy them, obviously with some major faults, in the UK for a few hundred pounds.

Soundness of structure is one big reason I can see for building one up. No rust to patch.

I also think a LHD Duck would be simpler, there manages to be a lot of confusion in the wiring harness for such a basic car in RHD form.

Still think they're bloody horrible. A GS is far nicer.

You'd probably like the Mehari I've seen around the traps, Addo - it's neither LHD or RHD - it sits somewhere in the middle.

A GS nicer than a 2CV? Interesting! Food for thought.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Donat, I reckon building one is a great option, but someone a while back said that you would never register. I never got that bit.

The brown Hermes car is a build from parts and is on the net.

2CV City have new rebuilds for 12k pounds which I reckon is amazing considering what they have had done. To to their site and check out the Beachcomber which has been there for ages.

Prices are coming up of cheapies too which is interesting.

I would love to build a car and have a new one. Surely others have done this before..Chris M

Fellow Frogger

The rego issue would be that if you built one from parts today, it will be treated as a 2014 model and therefore, be almost impossible to register without jumping through more hoops than would be justifiable. It is far simpler to start with a chassis, or at least a VIN, from before 1989, preferably much earlier, and rebuild it using new parts. Pre-1970 and there are virtually no ADR's to worry about.

JBN

Registration is THE problem. Therefore building from parts OR refurbishing a 2CV that may have been registered in Oz once but the rego has lapsed cause problems with ADR's. These problems may be overcome by getting the "correct" engineer to do your blue slip.

Get the wrong engineer and they will want side intrusion bars. On the front they can be built to attach to the front door hinge, go over the door card (no room in the 35mm thick door for them to be internal) and attach under the door lock bolts. You now have technically got side intrusion bars on the front door, and that will comply with ADRs. If you are not an engineer (I am not) you will realise that your side intrusion safety is up to the strength of the bolts holding the front hinge and rear door lock. Useless as tits on a bull.

When it comes to side intrusion on the rear doors, the door hinge is a folded bit of .55 mm metal slide into another folded bit of .55mm metal. Catch 22. So the same fully qualified, RTA certified engineer suggest removing the rear seat, rear seat belts and having the car re-classified as a 2CV coupe. The first and only one out of the 5 million built just so it complies with ADR's from the "clever" country.

The moral of this story is to buy a registered 2CV in any condition. If it has been badly neglected and is full of rust, you will need to allow for a lot of money to be spent. The biggest chunk is for a new chassis, plus new floor, plus new floor sills as that is the strength of the car and quite able to hold the rest of the rusty bits.

A new front footwell should also be factored in (or the existing one strengthened (This stops the body interfering with the steering column. A very heavy steering is often indicative of a collapsed transverse footwell - look if the steering column is off centre to the hole in the floor). The rest of the car can be refurbished on an as needed basis. All parts are available and those that had a Meccano set as a kid will have little problem building a 2CV.

If you are interested in buying a 2CV based on price only, it is as useful as your dentist looking up you anus to check the condition of your teeth. Buy a 2CV because you want it. To stay out of gaol, you will be required to pay the seller a price he will accept. Once it gets under your skin, you will replace or refurbish whatever strikes your fancy. Whatever you do and how ever much you spend, you should always be able to get your money back. They aren't making any more and they stopped making fun cars decades ago.

What other car is guarenteed not to depreciate?

John

Looks like I'm changing my dentist !

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    Looks like I'm changing my dentist !
    What, you thought you'd been seeing a proctologist for all that time?

My dream would not be a 2CV but the real fun version - a Lomax
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Thread Information