The World's Best Car Citroen 2CV
  • Help
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The World's Best Car Citroen 2CV

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Morwell
    Posts
    97

    Default The World's Best Car Citroen 2CV

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ktMcCDZvk

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! Mi16 Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Snap


    MY06 XS Luxury / MY09 308 XSE HDi SW
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

    Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

    In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

    Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

  3. #3
    Member minigolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    82

    Default

    May as well ask in this thread too...

    If anyone here owns a 2CV and would be willing to let me do a Drive Thru review for AUSmotive please let me or Stu/Mi16 Man know.

  4. #4
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,518

    Default

    Thank God he is a nutter. They are the only ones that should be allowed to drive a 2CV.

    John

  5. #5
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,749

    Default

    That's hilarious, i didn't realise how bad they were compared to the "big bore" 602cc version
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  6. #6
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    That's hilarious, i didn't realise how bad they were compared to the "big bore" 602cc version
    You think a 435cc 12hp is slow? Try a 375cc 9hp. You quickly learn just how interchangeably similar 'momentum' and 'merde' are.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  7. #7
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    You think a 435cc 12hp is slow? Try a 375cc 9hp. You quickly learn just how interchangeably similar 'momentum' and 'merde' are.
    Yeah, but anyone with a 9hp version won't take a "fat #$%$" camera man with them I have this urge to go steal my mothers 2cv for a few days............ She'd never notice it missing from the shed right They after all don't stand out at all

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! renault12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    430

    Default

    What a fantastic homage to a truly amazing car!

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    You think a 435cc 12hp is slow? Try a 375cc 9hp. You quickly learn just how interchangeably similar 'momentum' and 'merde' are.
    Actually the clip was talking of the 425cc 12 hp motor as it was 6 volt. The 435 was later on, as the smaller engine version to the 602 and usually had 12 volt and 18 hp.
    The ex La Poste van we have is a 425cc 6 volt version (AZ UA), it retained the 425 cc engine at that time (1970-71) as a special contract for La Poste, as only 435cc were availaible to the general public - goodness knows why? Perhaps they had too many spares.
    Anyway we can get around 50 mph (80 kph) out of the little van, and believe me it is nowhere as aerodynamic as the sedan. Think there must be something a little out of tune with Mr Harris's car as it should do better than the clip showed.

    Mmmn now there is something I would never have thought I would connect, a 2CV and aerodynamic in the same sentence, without it being a negative
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    That's hilarious, i didn't realise how bad they were compared to the "big bore" 602cc version
    I think I resemble that remark
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

  11. #11
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post
    Anyway we can get around 50 mph (80 kph) out of the little van, and believe me it is nowhere as aerodynamic as the sedan. Think there must be something a little out of tune with Mr Harris's car as it should do better than the clip showed.

    Mmmn now there is something I would never have thought I would connect, a 2CV and aerodynamic in the same sentence, without it being a negative
    In 2008, I drove from Uluru to Perth in company with Acadiane (2CV van with 602cc motor). From Kalgoorlie to Perth, the van was really being affected by the wind. I ended up getting the van to sit in the slipstream of my 2CV and "towed" us both to Perth. I could feel the 2CV lurch forwards when the van dropped back too far and the tug was broken.

    John

  12. #12
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Yeah, but anyone with a 9hp version won't take a "fat #$%$" camera man with them I have this urge to go steal my mothers 2cv for a few days............ She'd never notice it missing from the shed right They after all don't stand out at all

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    If its a corrugated iron shed, she won't notice the corrugated cars absence.

    John

  13. #13
    the famous 18E pug206gti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    11,055

    Icon6

    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    In 2008, I drove from Uluru to Perth in company with Acadiane (2CV van with 602cc motor). From Kalgoorlie to Perth, the van was really being affected by the wind. I ended up getting the van to sit in the slipstream of my 2CV and "towed" us both to Perth. I could feel the 2CV lurch forwards when the van dropped back too far and the tug was broken.
    John


    G'day,
    this is just begging for a smart response, but I can't think of one.
    regards,
    Les W.


    206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?








  14. #14
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    If its a corrugated iron shed, she won't notice the corrugated cars absence.

    John
    Nah it's a later one.... It's a hilarious car to drive, and amazingly holds the road and drives incredibly well. I love the way you turn the steering wheel at 60mph .... but the car doesn't really turn, it's angle just changes, so you keep turning the steering wheel until the body stop rolling and the car starts turning This one is a 602cc "big bore" motor, and will happily wind itself out to 70mph on the flat from memory .... Infact it's performance is quite amazing given the "modest" engine size.

    Just for a joke I started it when I was up there tonight ( I assumed it's battery would be dead flat).... I'll be damned if it didn't start on the 2nd kick...................Gee's the smell of stale petrol just about choked me out of the shed though so I turned it straight back off. It stinks in a similar fashion to a mower that's sat for 12months that won't start when you pull the string(not quite that bad, but it's a very distinctive memorable stench). Gee modern fuel goes off quickly.

    I might steal the petrol out of it if I can be bothered at some point and put it 4litres at a time into the ID19's... There compression ratio is so low in them they'll run happily on anything. Knowing me I'll never get around to it though. Some fresh 98 in it would probably do it the world of good. It's what a 20litre tank ?? So would cost a whole $30 to fill with fresh fuel I ran the Range Rover out of fuel today by accident and $40 of fuel almost lifted it's fuel gauge to 1/4 of a tank. It might even get me the 3km back to the petrol station................. but only if I drive gently

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  15. #15
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post
    Actually the clip was talking of the 425cc 12 hp motor as it was 6 volt. The 435 was later on, as the smaller engine version to the 602 and usually had 12 volt and 18 hp.
    The ex La Poste van we have is a 425cc 6 volt version (AZ UA), it retained the 425 cc engine at that time (1970-71) as a special contract for La Poste, as only 435cc were availaible to the general public - goodness knows why? Perhaps they had too many spares.
    Anyway we can get around 50 mph (80 kph) out of the little van, and believe me it is nowhere as aerodynamic as the sedan. Think there must be something a little out of tune with Mr Harris's car as it should do better than the clip showed.

    Mmmn now there is something I would never have thought I would connect, a 2CV and aerodynamic in the same sentence, without it being a negative

    Fumbly fingers strike again. Yah, 425. My '63 2CV was a 435cc 18hp. A genuine ground pounder, that was. I used that thing as a daily driver all over San Diego for years, until I got the 602cc 32hp Dyane. Then I thought I had won the lottery and went looking for Dodge Daytona Chargers to be humiliated by.

    I think the transmission ratios for the vans was a little different. I don't remember for sure, but it may have used the 435 Dyane transmission, giving it a slight bit more ooomph. It's possible the contract for the 425 was because of that little better bit of fuel economy.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! IE23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    749


    Adrian

    _________________

    Current;

    Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000


    Past;

    CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Take another look at the original clip.... fast forward to about 9.30 ... look at the front wheel shimmy on the right side front wheel. maybe just as well the poor thing can only muster jogging speeds.

    What a treasure she is !

  18. #18
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,518

    Default

    Both my cars have front wheel shimmy on the right hand side. Lots of fun when you are screaming downhill through a left hander. The only solution is to accelerate which is very counter intuitive when you feel that you are moments away from death. I think my training as a military parachutist has given me an edge in pushing on when all my senses are say slow down or at least recite the Lord's Prayer.

    A couple of years ago at a Shannons Eastern Creek Classic Day, the Citroen Car Club had two laps around the circuit. I was driving Daffy Duck which is on the maximum recommended suspension height (needed for Raid ground clearance). Its tyres were also great for Raid but nothing like the skinny Michelin X on bitumen. A guy in a C4 VTS was impressed by the 115 kph down the main straight of the 602cc of unleashed fury. He was even more impressed by the lack of braking at the end of the straight as I went into the left hander. I just kept the foot flat to tame the wheel shimmy, no way I was going to back off and die.

    Thats the fun of driving a 2CV. Never know when you will be on your way to Heaven. I've reduce the Lord's Prayer to to a quick phrase that I can gasp if needed - "Jesus! Here I come!".

    John

  19. #19
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ballarat,Vic,Aust.
    Posts
    16,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Both my cars have front wheel shimmy on the right hand side. Lots of fun when you are screaming downhill through a left hander. The only solution is to accelerate which is very counter intuitive when you feel that you are moments away from death. I think my training as a military parachutist has given me an edge in pushing on when all my senses are say slow down or at least recite the Lord's Prayer.

    A couple of years ago at a Shannons Eastern Creek Classic Day, the Citroen Car Club had two laps around the circuit. I was driving Daffy Duck which is on the maximum recommended suspension height (needed for Raid ground clearance). Its tyres were also great for Raid but nothing like the skinny Michelin X on bitumen. A guy in a C4 VTS was impressed by the 115 kph down the main straight of the 602cc of unleashed fury. He was even more impressed by the lack of braking at the end of the straight as I went into the left hander. I just kept the foot flat to tame the wheel shimmy, no way I was going to back off and die.

    Thats the fun of driving a 2CV. Never know when you will be on your way to Heaven. I've reduce the Lord's Prayer to to a quick phrase that I can gasp if needed - "Jesus! Here I come!".

    John
    Wheel shimmy, I haven''t driven a 2cv much .... but I've never experianced that. The bit that impresses me the most is how it sits on the road. It drives arrow straight, you could take your hands off the steering wheel no problems and it'd run straight as an arrow. Absolutely zero slack in the steering........ The 2cv woudl be a revelation to drive for anyone that drives a small modern poogoe that always wants to head into the scenery unless you hold it running straight. Brakes are about a million times better than any modern poogoe too, no pedal slop, rock hard under foot, heaps of braking power ... none of the god awful "grabby" tendancies of modern poogoes .... And it handles like a car should (ie: it rolls onto it's door handles like proper citroens should )

    seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

    Yay ... No Slugomatics


    Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    922

    Default

    The straight line stability Shane speaks of is due to the extreme caster angles. Ever seen a 2CV at full lock ? The wheels look about to fall off ! That wheel shimmy in the video cannot be as factory intended. The left front wheel appears to be dead straight in its trajectory. I can only assume it is due to extreme wear in the steering linkages or rack. Either way I do not doubt the 2CV chassis as a wonderful creation.

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    The straight line stability Shane speaks of is due to the extreme caster angles. Ever seen a 2CV at full lock ? The wheels look about to fall off ! That wheel shimmy in the video cannot be as factory intended. The left front wheel appears to be dead straight in its trajectory. I can only assume it is due to extreme wear in the steering linkages or rack. Either way I do not doubt the 2CV chassis as a wonderful creation.
    I wonder whether or not the shimmy is due to wear in the fixing holes of the rim. If the wheel does not bolt up true on the studs with those strange oval shaped lug nuts the wheel will never run true. This is a problem suffered by 11B and 11Bl with the Michelin 'Bon Marche' rims. THE 2CV RIM IS ESSENTIALLY THE SAME STYLE BUT WITH ONLY 3 WHEEL STUDS! Wear in this case could be even more likely to occur! I know that for my 11Bl I need to take my rims to the experts and have all the holes welded up and then re drilled to the correct size and PCD.
    I had an 11B Normale many years ago with this problem and being less pecunious than now I solved the problem by fitting British rims and brass Lug nuts with the conical centring flanges!
    Cheers Gerry

  22. #22
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,518

    Default

    I think the 1930's technology kingpins have a lot to answer for. Just jack up a front wheel, put one hand on the top and one hand on the bottom and shake, rattle and roll. The 2CV was born just before Rock 'n' Roll.

    I have a new inner CV joint for the gearbox end of the driveshaft which I am about to instal. I will see if that is part of the problem.

    The next project will be to drill and tap a hole in the castle nut at the end of the track rod and put in a grease nipple. The knob on the end of the steering arm becomes oval over time and that could be another source of movement.

    Finally there is the option of replacing the kingpin.

    I am going to investigate all of these sources because Daffy Duck had kingpins replaced and steering arms replaced and steering rack refurbished about 40k ago. The inner CV joints wasn't replaced, just regreased and new bellows.

    My gut feeling is that replacing kingpins with ball joints would be the best solution, but that would be beyond my engineering skills.


    John

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger! Jinandfonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chermside West Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    456

    Default The World's Best Car Citroen 2CV

    There are lots of tame & sensible Electric 2CV conversions on YouTube, yet my favourite is the Aussie hoon:
    http://youtu.be/DLtltVFNYtI
    (For some reason the sound doesn't work on this forum imbedded version so view it in YouTube for best effect as it lays rubber purist warning, keep your eyes & ears covered...
    Last edited by Jinandfonic; 24th April 2014 at 12:41 AM.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •