Leather Interior for BX 16V
  • Help

Default Leather Interior for BX 16V

I am rebuilding our BX 16V, and wondered if this was ever offered with a Leather Interior in Australia. I recall seeing full leather in both NZ and GB cars, and would like to fit one into our BX

Advertisement
    DS Citroen 21 aka: Andrew and Leanne (plus Phillip and Ciaran).
    A DS 21 (Long Term Project), A BX GT 16v (Leanne's not mine), plus PABLO 0 (The C4 Picasso), A heavily modified Range Rover (towing and heavy duty) and some exotic members of Sir William Lyons' stable!!!.

I had my 1975 DS23 re-trimmed in leather, came up beautifully. Authenticity isn't that critical: if you re-did the DS (or a CX) in the original cloth, it would still only last a year or two

I've heard of maybe one or two mythical ones.
    By this age I'm sure they're looking pretty sad, especially with our Australian sun.
    You would do better as above to have a current one re-trimmed.

Also the original leather interior is not based on the 16 Valve bucket seats.
    As below:

Thanks Guys, I'll probably look into reinstating the original cloth interior.

Andy
    DS Citroen 21 aka: Andrew and Leanne (plus Phillip and Ciaran).
    A DS 21 (Long Term Project), A BX GT 16v (Leanne's not mine), plus PABLO 0 (The C4 Picasso), A heavily modified Range Rover (towing and heavy duty) and some exotic members of Sir William Lyons' stable!!!.

Fellow Frogger

One of the problems with old velour is that it's often a sandwich with a foam filling. On DS, CX and GS the foam turns to dust before the fabric fails. I've seen NOS DS trim that was rendered useless for this reason. The fabrics used for late CX, BX and XM onwards seem better in this regard. Leather is probably a simpler choice compared to trying to find the original pattern fabric.

I've bought some seat base covers last year from the UK that were second hand and in OK condition, though I only put them in once a year for FCD. They do suffer from the issues David S describes.

With the 16 Valves there were two fabrics, Le Mans on the later phase two's (1990's) and Monza on the phase 1 and early phase 2's.

The Le Mans fabric is actually a thicker, harder wearing fabric (velour?) than the earlier Monza velour. In this way it also makes the seats feel a touch firmer. I like the look of the earlier Monza trim better though.

Le Mans (and Momo steering wheel)

Monza

Thread Information