wiring harness and a couple of panels
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: wiring harness and a couple of panels

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default wiring harness and a couple of panels

Hi everyone;
    I have a 1985 CX 2500 GTI ( non-turbo) and, I would like to get hold of a complete wiring harness off someones donor car so that I can use it as a template for a new harness (yep, it has a rats nest so messy that I cannot see the Battery and, it is in dire need of a new one.

Also, at sometime in its' live it has had an accident. Whoever repaired it used a non standard Bonnet, front grill, and lefthand wing (sitting in the car).

Can anyone who has a "donor" GTI please contact me if you are willing to sell me the parts. I am renting and, I would probably get in trouble with the landlord if I had a car on the front yard. Having said that, could ask my brother if I could keep a donor in one of his sheds... but, I may have to grovel...

Advertisement

ThanWarren

You can buy new ones surely?
    I bought a DS one from a guy in Germany although he hit me up for VAT which is unacceptable given it was export. He did a good job though, lot more time/cost effective than spending all that time doing it yourself.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I spoke to Andre at Citroen Andre and, he did not have one - also said that they cost around 500euro.
    I have been thinking about a donor car and, decided that, if I can get one, I can put it in the garage and just park the C5 and CX in the driveway

Can you give me the name of the chap in Germany?

thanks

Warren

His name is Christian, www.oldtimer-electrique.de He will charge you VAT which he shouldn't because the product would be exported out of the EU and hence the 19% you will get slugged with is NOT applicable. I got stung after I paid upfront, he emailed me demanding the added VAT. Totally suss in my opinion. Also he was very unprofessional in relaying a receipt etc. Didn't answer emails. So yeah he's good but crap at customer service. Citroen Andre is of course the complete opposite customer wise, thorough and professional.
    So there you go.

You'll also have to do IBAN transfer as he has ditched Paypal. Stupid to some, sensible to others...
    He's probably sore about losing WW2.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 14th April 2014 at 08:23 AM.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Interesting, I bought some bits from him about 10 years ago and had no problems. Sounds like he is getting greedy....

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Are the remains of the wires still there ?? It's probably going to be simpler to replace the wires on at a time. It's unlikely you'll find another CX with a matching wiring harness. I'm convinced they made every car "unique" just to frustrate owners in the future

seeya,
    Shane L.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

It's often a dog's breakfast in that corner of a CX because numerous previous bodgers have had a go at dealing with cooked relays, adding a remote voltage regulator and/or dealing with that large black plastic +ve supply connector. The rest of the loom is probably OK and it presumably works as is, so maybe splicing in some new wires could be the pragmatic solution.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi Dave,

I know that the multi-relay corner turns into a rats nest on most cars but, The issue is that there is also a lot of wiring that is not covered in other parts of the loom that may have been done by Citroen as standard. I am also a perfectionist* (*perfectionist - a person who has his head firmly and permanently shoved up his own arse... ) and would like to build a complete loom sealed in heat-shrink tubing. So, I really, any harness that comes a 2400 or 2500 would do. I can workout the Airco, electric windows and driving lights myself using the diagrams in the Haynes manual (when I buy magnifying glass). The headlight switch is hilarious, when you first turn them on, the sidelight setting brings doesn't work and, the headlight com on in high beam mode. You then have to click on the high beam switch and they come down to normal and, if you only want sidelights , you can move the switch to that position and they work again. As long as you don't turn them off again, they all do what they are supposed to do!!!! Whoever set this up really should get some kind of medal.Oh, and I made the mistake of lifting (only a little) the rats nest so I could see the battery and, now it doesn't start at all. This is really going to be a lot of fun..........

Fellow Frogger

The odds are very good that whatever donor you find will have differences in the loom to what you actually have. It would be very frustrating for you to make your new loom only to find it's beautifully terminated and wrapped yet wrong. Certainly, the Haynes wiring diagram is not quite correct in a few details for an earlier Australian market c-matic. Perhaps, the best option would be to make what you have function correctly and then replicate it to whatever standard pleases you?

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

sounds like a plan David - if I can trace and measure all ot the looms then, I can build one from scatch that I will be happy with. I have the C5 so, I won't need to drive CX for a while...

Thread Information