C5 Hdi 2010 Auto transmission quirk
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: C5 Hdi 2010 Auto transmission quirk

Tadpole

Default C5 Hdi 2010 Auto transmission quirk

I bought a beautiful red C5 Hdi auto (120 kW) last July. It seems to have a quirk with the auto trans which is very annoying. If I accelerate up to 100+ kmh at a slow/moderate rate, everything works perfectly and it drops into 6th at about 80 kmh.

Advertisement

However if I put my foot down to accelerate quickly from a standing start, it refuses to drop into 6th even when I've levelled out at 100kmh and even if I'm coasting downhill; it sticks obstinately in 5th.

The same thing happens on fast acceleration from a rolling start. Eg, if I've been stuck behind a slow vehicle in 4th and I put the foot down to overtake it, the trans sticks in 5th even when I've levelled out again at cruising speed.

Is this an issue peculiar to my car, or is it general?

If anyone has a cure, I'll be very grateful. The only cure I've found is to stop and pull off again from a standing start, accelerating very moderately.

1000+ Posts

It's an adaptive box. When you drive in a "spirited" fashion, it will leave you in a faster accelerating gear, to suit the way you have been driving. 100 kph is a long way short of it having to go into 6th.

Tadpole

Default C5 Hdi 2010 Auto transmission quirk

Thanks for that. Is there something I can do to tell it I've lost my spiritednessand become calm again, so that it will drop into 6th? My car stays in 5th even after 5+ minutes of steady 100 kph on level ground.

UFO

You could flick the lever to the left and push forward thereby putting it in the next gear up (eg 6th) then flick the lever back to the right.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

My 308 has the same gearbox and occasionally has the same issue. The manual override mentioned above sorts it out, and the ECU seems to remember for the next time.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

This happens to my 2007 TD with the AL6 gearbox couple of times on really hot days. It would not kick down when it should have. I just used it in manual a couple of times and it got better...

Thread Information