Traction Avant Hydraulique.
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Traction Avant Hydraulique.

mnm

Default Traction Avant Hydraulique.

Hello

are there any of these in Australia? I've never seen the engine bay set up before, just curious.

Advertisement

Matthew

UFO

Yes. At least two that I know of. One may be finished its looooooooooooong term resto one day. Bill?....
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I know of three in Queensland, so they're around.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

At least two in Victoria including one I used to own, now in Shepparton! A Black one that used to belong to Wal Burhardt and a red one with a sliding roof that was owned by Derek Moore!
    I believe that 8 were imported---All slough models
    Cheers Gerry

mnm

Ok, so what was the ride like? Does the rear float up and down while the front is firm?

Matthew

Traction Avant Hydraulique.-img_2302.jpgTraction Avant Hydraulique.-img_4531.jpgThis is my fathers last project. A big 6 H. Still incomplete but taken on by me and my brother Al.
    When it is finished Alan will be it's custodian.
    One day soon Craig.

Hi Matthew , No the front had the torsion bars lengthened to allow a softer suspension to match the rears. The sphere pressure was set higher than the DS sedans but not as high as the Safari. It rode quite well! But the Slough version had an annoying foible, in that there was no isolating lock on the rear suspension that was applied when the hand brake was used.
    Strange things happened when hand brake starts were attempted on up hill slopes. The rear would rise due to weight transference caused by the hand brake application.
    THEN THE HEIGHT CORRECTOR WOULD BLEED OFF PRESSURE TO CORRECT THE HEIGHT. As soon as the hand brake was released the rear would crash down onto the bump stops before the height corrector had a chance to compensate.
    GOOD FUN TO WATCH THE FACES OF THE OCCUPANTS OF THE FOLLOWING CAR>
    The Paris built version was fitted with the hand brake operated isolation valve! That version would not have caused nearly as much consternation from other road users!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

I had a silver grey '54 6H in the early '70s, which I passed on to my brother,but now awaiting restoration by the Gayndah boys, I believe. It had been resprayed by the previous owner who disliked the beautiful, original, metallic teal blue.
    It really was a magnificent car, especially suited to touring but, like all Big Sixes, less happy in city driving. The suspension frequencies were indeed well matched, with a superbly level & quiet ride, which shrugged off most road irregularities with disdain. On a trip to an Easter Citin at Adelong I took my parents with me, & my very nervous mother declared it the best car ever. The poor dear had no idea she'd been travelling regularly at an indicated 80mph.
    The particular handbrake problem mentioned by Jerry I don't recall, but the way the cables were arranged meant that, as the hydraulic suspension settled when parked, it tightened the cables making it difficult to release the handbrake & permanently stretching the cables.
    As with all the sixes, steering when manoeuvring like a ten ton truck, with a turning circle to match, was par for the course, but great under way.
    The six had loads of torque which compensated for the three speed 'box, which had a 2nd gear capable of well over sixty mph. An acquaintance at the time claimed that once moving, he could do Sydney to Newcastle in top gear.

Wish I had it now !

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    I had a silver grey '54 6H in the early '70s, which I passed on to my brother,but now awaiting restoration by the Gayndah boys, I believe. It had been resprayed by the previous owner who disliked the beautiful, original, metallic teal blue.
    It really was a magnificent car, especially suited to touring but, like all Big Sixes, less happy in city driving. The suspension frequencies were indeed well matched, with a superbly level & quiet ride, which shrugged off most road irregularities with disdain. On a trip to an Easter Citin at Adelong I took my parents with me, & my very nervous mother declared it the best car ever. The poor dear had no idea she'd been travelling regularly at an indicated 80mph.
    The particular handbrake problem mentioned by Jerry I don't recall, but the way the cables were arranged meant that, as the hydraulic suspension settled when parked, it tightened the cables making it difficult to release the handbrake & permanently stretching the cables.
    As with all the sixes, steering when manoeuvring like a ten ton truck, with a turning circle to match, was par for the course, but great under way.
    The six had loads of torque which compensated for the three speed 'box, which had a 2nd gear capable of well over sixty mph. An acquaintance at the time claimed that once moving, he could do Sydney to Newcastle in top gear.

Wish I had it now !

Richard
    Richard, I remember that car very well from that Adelong meet!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger

For those after some more detailed info on the 6H and Tractions generally, Tony Jackson's Citroen publications list is here: https://sites.google.com/site/citroenpublicationslist/

It links to pages on this website for some of the Traction material: :: WWW.TRACTION.FR :: CITROEN TRACTION AVANT :: TECHNIQUE
    In particular, you can find the French version of the Six parts catalogue and the Slough Six handbook with a short 6H supplement.

For the 6H, the French versions of the parts list and pictures from the workshop manual supplement are available as pdf and you'd want 431-6 and 459 from the listing. The text/instructions are not available as far as I can see.

There was a Slough version of the Six parts manual, but I don't think it has become available as a pdf.

A supplement to the Slough version of the Six workshop manual was also released for the 6H. It isn't available as a pdf like the regular manual, but it looks like this copy that sold via UK eBay recently:

Traction Avant Hydraulique.-6h_20140107_p1.jpgTraction Avant Hydraulique.-6h_20140107_cover.jpgTraction Avant Hydraulique.-6h_20140107_open1.jpgTraction Avant Hydraulique.-6h_20140107_open2.jpg

Does any one have a copy of this supplement and the Slough parts book? One of the club libraries perhaps?
    Last edited by David S; 26th April 2014 at 02:51 PM.

Fellow Frogger

... and here is a Slough 6H that went to auction in the UK in 2013.
    Bonhams : 1954 CitroŽn Model 6H 'Big Six' Saloon Chassis no. 9/557508 Engine no. W01451

Fellow Frogger!

What a pity that car was modded with an alternator. The original set up with a big cast alloy fan at the front of the water pump was far more dramatic. The alternator looks really wrong ! Yet on another thread we have people wanting to hide modern voltage regulators inside old style casings. The ^H would have been far more a period piece with its original fittings.

At least it has the original pump and regulator!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    For those after some more detailed info on the 6H and Tractions generally, Tony Jackson's Citroen publications list is here: https://sites.google.com/site/citroenpublicationslist/

It links to pages on this website for some of the Traction material: :: WWW.TRACTION.FR :: CITROEN TRACTION AVANT :: TECHNIQUE
    In particular, you can find the French version of the Six parts catalogue and the Slough Six handbook with a short 6H supplement.

For the 6H, the French versions of the parts list and pictures from the workshop manual supplement are available as pdf and you'd want 431-6 and 459 from the listing. The text/instructions are not available as far as I can see.

There was a Slough version of the Six parts manual, but I don't think it has become available as a pdf.

A supplement to the Slough version of the Six workshop manual was also released for the 6H. It isn't available as a pdf like the regular manual, but it looks like this copy that sold via UK eBay recently:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6H_20140107_p1.JPG 
Views:	262 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	55467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6H_20140107_Cover.JPG 
Views:	302 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	55468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6H_20140107_Open1.JPG 
Views:	382 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	55469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6H_20140107_Open2.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	55470

Does any one have a copy of this supplement and the Slough parts book? One of the club libraries perhaps?
    cost me a pretty penny too.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    Yes, some strong bidding on both copies he had for sale. My solid bid didn't stand for more than a nano-second! I can imagine the print run wasn't a large one.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tractionfan View Post
    Your going to scan it for "all" the big 6H owners right
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information