Out of warranty DS3 claim- what are my chances?
  • Help

Default Out of warranty DS3 claim- what are my chances?

The door tape on my DS3, already replaced once under warranty, has again lifted but is now out of its 12 month parts warranty. The car is also out of warranty.
    Yesterday I was told it would not be replaced under warranty nor "goodwill".
    As this item has a life of less than 18 months when fitted to my vehicle, to me it would be obvious it is not of merchantable quality, particularly given that a tape fulfilling an identical cosmetic purpose fitted to my previous Xsara lasted at least 9 years when used under identical conditions. The DS vehicles are a "premium" product?
    What do you reckon my chances are of getting a satisfactory resolution?

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Look up the ACCC website and see where you stand on the matter. Usually when you mention the ACCC in conversation, things tend to get resolved as it's cheaper to make you happy than for them to get hounded by the commish.

I always help out with factory or extended warranty claims at work after it's lapsed - even six months to a year afterward - it creates return customers. You'd think CitroŽn would have that kind of mentality!

Best of luck with it.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger

If a part is replaced under warranty, even a day before the warranty expires, it will be claimed it does not extend the warranty on the that part of the vehicle past the original warranty expiry date. So, if the tape was a warranty item, then don't expect that it has a parts warranty that is different to the car's warranty. If you bought it yourself, that's a different matter. I'm sure you will find this in the terms in the handbook.

If the warranty has expired and the current problem was not reported before it expired, then it obviously won't be covered. I'd say you have no chance of a goodwill claim if the dealer is not prepared to either pay this themselves or try a claim from the importer / manufacturer. Whether you take it any further depends on how strongly you feel about chasing it and how much is involved.

Out of interest, what exactly do you mean by 'door tape'?
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

The matt stick-on panels forward and aft of the glass. Originally I was told they had lifted because the window channel had shrunk/ moved, pulling the tape away with it. This time I'm being told the glue is giving way.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Goes to show that ""They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To".
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Check out how the British are handling this failure as i do not believe its isolated. Everything Citroen C4 and DS4 - C4 - DS4 Owners is where you will find out.

1000+ Posts

Sounds like as stated a quality issue & Citroen H.O. should at least notified so that future problem can be avoided.

Bruce,
    Are these panels on the outside of the car? Similar to the Windscreen side trim problems with the C5 X7s.
    CitroŽn?C5 (X7) Vehicles?Windscreen side trim
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

It's the B pillar of the door.

As well as being a design feature (to "black out" the door pillar) I've always figured it was designed as a "scratch-proof" thing, as this is a high use area (especially for people with rings and car keys).

My 306, both my 206s and my 207 all had this tape, along with my current DS3. On the DS3 it is also forward of the side window at the A pillar, though some of the stuff forward is plastic panels.

Thankfully, none of them have had an issue. The second 206 even had it replaced as part of a break-in repair and the replacement tape lasted until I sold the car at least.

Perhaps the dealers are not using the correct prep and glue?

Out of warranty DS3 claim- what are my chances?-ds3-door-tape.jpg
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Dealer had to special order the appropriate prep when it was first done, I remember having to wait to have the job done until it arrived. Doesn't really explain why the first lot moved, but certainly given that the window channel hasn't moved again it would imply it's just the glue giving way this time.

Simon, do you use the windows much on your DS3? I'm wondering if the channel on mine moved originally as I tend to use the windows rather than the a/c, plus I have a dark colour that is parked in sun most the day so temps get rather high.
    Last edited by Bruce H; 11th April 2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Bruce H

Mine has lifted just a tiny bit, but not too worried about it and is out of warranty. If it needs replacing at some point I might give plastidip a go, depending on what the surface under the tape is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Simon, do you use the windows much on your DS3? I'm wondering if the channel on mine moved originally as I tend to use the windows rather than the a/c, plus I have a dark colour that is parked in sun most the day so temps get rather high.
    I'd have to say no, although I usually have the window open when driving through a carpark or using a carpark pass at work, etc.

I don't have any undercover parking at work (but do at home) and the car is red with a black roof. I might have to have a good look at it, as my warranty is due to expire in a few months.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information