Xantia "universal" muffler
  • Help

Default Xantia "universal" muffler

I'm told I could put a (shorter) universal muffler on the back of the Xantia at less than half the price of the standard replacement.
    Anyone done it, and does it make it much louder?
    The bloke at the muffler shop says car yards usually opt for the cheaper universal, but he has had new owners come in and then fork out for the standard replacement.
    I'm facing replacement on two, possibly three, Xantias but would prefer not to experiment.

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

you have a LOT of cars Bruce! Nothing to add unfortunately...

Fellow Frogger

1 out of 3 would prove the point one way or the other, but it seems you've talked yourself out of it. I can say that an XM with 'uni' mufflers welded in tends to boom unpleasantly going up a hill. I've encountered two like that where the middle muffler was a hotdog type thing and it let the car down. Fitting stainless parts can also alter the note. There must be a few being dismantled with decent factory exhaust parts remaining.

Milo tins and muffler bandages could be a workable plan B.
    Last edited by David S; 8th April 2014 at 11:27 PM.

There was one in Melbourne but whole car, maybe worth humbugging them, they wanted $1300 on Gumtree I think.
    Speaking of which I was toying getting a Xantia, what to watch out for? Nope that's another thread...

Bruce,

I had Rob Bliss put their biggest uni muffler on the rear of my Xantia Wagon. Can now hear the exhaust above the engine noise and it is almost annoying. Today I was toying with looking to see if the original joiner was still there so I could get one of those huge original rear mufflers to replace this one. The other interesting effect is that this straight through muffler when combined with the hi-flow catalytic converter (I am on my third with that car - buts that's another story), it has incredible response to light throttle - it is very lively. However, if you give it a bit of throttle, the engine seems to bog down and be quite disappointing through the rev range. I think the induction system doesn't like the low low back pressure exhaust.

John at DS says he always tries to stay original with replacement exhaust components as it makes the system easier to maintain for them. I think most of these cars are coming up for their first rear muffler change at about 250 - 300k km and 16 years inservice which you can't really complain about.

Cheers,

Ken W

Thanks for the feedback, seems to confirm what I was imagining.
    I've been using the Hobart Xantia with a patched muffler for two years now (strut tops and new tyres were a higher priority in the maintenance schedule), and the latest acquisition is booming and rattling though with no signs of holes. Mum's Xantia seemed a bit louder than usual last time I drove it as well, but that may just be that I've got so used to how quiet the DS3 is (at times you'd barely know it was running).
    I've floated the idea with mum of me putting a new original on her car, and putting her old muffler on my latest if it's not too far gone. I'll have to have a closer look and listen to see what her car's muffler is like.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, seems to confirm what I was imagining.
    I've been using the Hobart Xantia with a patched muffler for two years now (strut tops and new tyres were a higher priority in the maintenance schedule), and the latest acquisition is booming and rattling though with no signs of holes. Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H - I'm also in the market for Xantia mufflers. There are no holes but the baffles are gone, 160k - 14 year old Break. Its a bit like a Harley Davidson on the freeway, you zap it and people know you're making a move.

The muffler bloke said he can do a like replacement around $400. He suggested increasing the pipe to 2 inch? Reckons it will get the gases out quicker & improve fuel economy?

Should I replace the catalytic converter while I'm at it? It seems to be OK
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

I replaced mine with a universal/non original and its loader than the original. Was never happy with that decision. However for what little driving I do now it doesn't bother me and with the passage of time I've got used to it.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

A decatted Xantia 16V is noticeably faster than one with a blocked cat. The only real way to check pollutant load (other than when it's rattling audibly) is to splice in a back pressure gauge and test the car with a serious workout (eg, heavy trailer towing uphill). Or fit a hollow cat and monitor fuel usage for a month. I would be leery of generic cats myself - closest fit I've seen is a Magna-Flow and even it was not going to be perfect.

My European made "direct fit" rear muffler is slightly louder than original. Now the centre one has expired and I plan to use genuine for a replacement. This one does a lot of muffling, even though it's a straight through design.

I replaced our rear one a few years ago as I thought it was getting a bit loud. Was definitely right, the correct part will make the car drive as designed - quietly. Might cost a bit more but is worth it.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Might cost a bit more but is worth it. ...especially if it lasts 16 years! There will be no fossil fuel left in 16 years given the way the Chinese are taking up car driving.

Fellow Frogger!

I replaced the rear muffler on my '96 VSX a couple of years ago with an aftermarket one through my local exhaust crowd. Don't know the make, but he just looked it up in one of his regular muffler catalogues. Although it has a slightly different, louder note, it is not noticeable in the car, & for around $320.00, if I remember correctly, is perfectly acceptable.
    The centre muffler was replaced with a similar aftermarket job, & 12 months ago a universal cat. was adapted to fit , both working as good as original. Not being made from Aluminised steel, I guess they won't last like the originals though.

richard

Thread Information