C5 key remote failing !
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default C5 key remote failing !

Hi
    My 2001 C5 key remote has failed. I have replaced the battery. Also did a recognition by putting it in the lock turning on and pressing lock button, until--- nothing happened ! Also a reboot by disconnecting the car battery etc.

What next ?? It has been working on and off for a while, perhaps two months +, looking back ! Thought it was just the battery failing. Been extremely busy over that time. Sometimes worked after manually unlocking the car. But now nothing. It seemed to work OK for a short while when i replaced the battery. Then also after I rechecked the new battery voltage twice and cleaned the contacts etc. At one stage it seemed to be hypersenstive to the slightest press on the buttons ?? Now nothing The solder joints and the board looks OK under a magnifying glass. Simple enough board. Who knows what the chips are?

Advertisement

Any suggestions . It is one of the best features of the car.
    Jaahn
    PS there is provision for 4 buttons on the board ? What uses the other one and what for ?

Some seem to die; seen this with both marques. Maybe corrosion of the printed circuit antenna?

Fortunately they are still quite cheap new.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Some seem to die; seen this with both marques. Maybe corrosion of the printed circuit antenna?

Fortunately they are still quite cheap new.
    Hi addo,
    The remote just worked when I came home a few minutes ago !! Not totally dead yet.
    Is there a chance the receiver in the car has a bad connection ? I understand it is part of or in the comm 2000 unit. Surley this is prone to fail like other bits of this dodgey thing.

No corrosion evident on the board. The antenna is obvious. How to check the operation ? I suppose if I get a new remote I will have to get a Lexia
    Cheers jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi addo,
    The remote just worked when I came home a few minutes ago !! Not totally dead yet.
    Is there a chance the receiver in the car has a bad connection ? I understand it is part of or in the comm 2000 unit. Surley this is prone to fail like other bits of this dodgey thing.

No corrosion evident on the board. The antenna is obvious. How to check the operation ? I suppose if I get a new remote I will have to get a Lexia
    Cheers jaahn
    Hi Jaahn,
    When you get your Lexia and get it working can you let me know the details. I read somewhere that the pre-2002 models were picky about which Lexia or perhaps which Lexia software they would respond to.

SF

IWS

Maybe check out this mob?

Citroen remote key repair

I think that so long as you keep the key and immobiliser chip together, you can usually relearn the remote controls without a Lexia. If you look around on the internet, there are instructions for the different models and types of key systems. I think you only need a Lexia if you want to learn new transponder chips and you will need to know the 4 letter security code to do this and it relearns all the keys you want to use.

Cheers,

Ken W

I found with late 306s you couldn't re-learn the remotes without the code. This despite having a Texton box like the Xantia - must be a very slight tweak to the firmware.

With Lexia you can at least see if it's receiving a signal.

Thread Information