C5 Hdi glowplugs info without kewpie doll prize
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 Hdi glowplugs info without kewpie doll prize

Anyone familiar with C5 Hdi glowplug operating system? Discovered a curly one on mine. Normal glow plug operation as wot we learned was, key on glow position, glowplugs and dash indicator light receive current via a preset timer relay. Once engine started and system voltage increased to 14.2 the glow relay would no longer operate. This happened hot or cold on most compression ignition bangers. But there were exceptions. However the modern automotive glow system has become automatic now-a-days so hence my questions. It's not a trick and there's no prize for solving the problem. Except maybe a nose lick from my dog.

On my C5 with key on, the dash glow indicator decided it doesn't want to play anymore [reason for my taking a peek under the front thingy] but voltage to the glowplugs is 4v. So start the engine and the glowplug voltage rises to 14.7 for 22 secs, after which it again drops to 4v. This low voltage is maintained for as long as the engine is running. Turn off the engine and the glowplug voltage is still 4v for a further 11secs until the relay drops out. Tried a new relay, didn't do no good no how. Any ideas gratefully accepted before I go wiring.
    An interesting point, if the glowplug wire is disconnected and the Ign is turned on, the dash info screen has to be reset all over again. Didn't know the two were related. Don't suggest insuring etc I just may be tempted. [joke]

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

The old-style diesel plugs that worked on a manual switch left the exhaust smoking away until the engine warmed up. Things have changed.

The figures here apply to the early DW10 motor. I don't have values for the DW10C.

The heater and the indicator light times in seconds, based on coolant temperature are:
    -30C 20
    -10C 5
    0C 0.5
    +18C 0

After the light goes out, if the starter still isn't used, the plugs remain on for 10 secs maximum.

When the starter is operated, the plugs will stay on if the coolant is under 20 and the motor turns at 70 rpm for 0.2 secs.

Once the engine has started, post-heating continues for up to 60 seconds. It will stop if the water temperature is over 20, or if the engine is turning at 2000 rpm, or the injection computer has reached sufficient fuel volume.

Pre- and post-heating plugs have two filaments wired in series, a current control coil and a high temperature ignition coil. The control coil resistance rises steeply with temperature, unlike the hight temperature coil. They can then run for these long periods at extreme temperatures without being wrecked.

Fellow Frogger!

So, Friday morning and full of enthusiasm I decided to look at this glow plug problem rather than just chuck a meter in the general direction of the engine. Found two glow plugs non functional, so replaced all four. Thought that's it, but it wasn't it. The dash light still doesn't work. But at least the G/plug voltage is reading somewhere near where I think it should be, but alas no preheat. With key on, voltage 0. Engine running post heat voltage, 14v for 22sec then drops to zero. So that part seems Ok, but the key on pre start voltage from the ECU is now only 4v, not enough to activate the relay. So more work to do, maybe ECU fault? or I may wait until winter and lower ambient temperatures. Jeez it's hard to get good staff.

Could it be a coolant temp sensor issue?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Could it be a coolant temp sensor issue?
    Yes it may be. More investigation needed for sure.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Yes it may be. More investigation needed for sure.
    So did investigate and disconnected the coolant temp, Dash readout screamed water temp too high and the GLOW WARNING LIGHT CAME ON. I know it's a generic system failure warning but why would anyone want the glow plugs activated with an overheated engine. Crazy baby. More proof that these C5 electrics were based around the thoughts of a Chinese shepherd studying goat entrails.
    Anyway ordered a sender from Pommie land, cheap it were. We'll see if that be problem.

Thread Information