New member, first CX.
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New member, first CX.

Tadpole

Default New member, first CX.

Hi All,

Advertisement

New to the forums, just bought my first ever French car - a Blue 81 CX 2400 Pallas 5 Speed manual, so thought I'd introduce myself.

Up till now I've mostly been focused on vehicles from the other side of the channel, with a selection of Jags, Bentleys and the like with occasional German intruder making up my collection. The CX definitely appealed from the crazy design and hydraulics that a lot of people seem to run a mile from but for me are a big attraction.

Anyway, I picked up this particular CX from an enthusiast in Wollongong on Saturday morning having bought it sight-unseen off eBay, with the (in hindsight misguided) intention of driving it back to Melbourne the same day. Alas this did not go to plan with the car exhibiting a worsening misfire under load that resulted in me limping in to Canberra instead, leaving it in the capable hands of the NRMA there and flying back to Melbourne.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be something reasonably minor to sort however, fuel or ignition related, but I didn't fancy trying to make it 700km further home with it playing up. Otherwise it's in reasonable condition body wise, rust in the bottoms of the passenger side doors, bonnet in need of repair and respray and an old repair to the A pillar on the drivers side in need of attention. Interior is pretty good with only the drivers seat deteriorated, fuel and oil pressure gauge not working properly, and some wiring issues needing resolved but excellent door cards, dash and rest of the seats. On the downside it also appears to be home to a colony of biting ants, which was rather less than pleasant to discover at 100kph on the freeway when they woke up.

The clutch was also interesting, bite point is razor sharp and right down on the floor, I'm hoping this is just the cable needing adjustment/replacement rather than the clutch itself as that looks like a monster of a job.

So all going well I should get it home to Melbourne over the next week or so to get it up on the hoist and have a proper look at what needs attention and get some pics up etc.

Anyway, Hi from me and looking forward to no doubt coming up with a range of questions (silly and otherwise) as I get to grips with my most recent purchase.

Rgds,

Al

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

The mis-firing is likely to be something really simple. There an incredibly hardy old motor ... Just check "the usual".. ie: plugs, points, leads, ballast resistor, but most importantly the fuse, intermittent fuse connections will likely lead to miss-firing and cuttout. Don't forget the coil that may be old and heat sensitive.

Many years ago we converted my mother Citroen CX to a manual gearbox. It's clutch was exactly as you describe ( maybe it's a clutch kit out there that has that behavior Because it's not normal). It was literately ON/OFF, you could get it to disengage in a reasonable fashion by resting your heal on the floor and easing the pedal up a millimeter at a time at it's bite point. We got used to it after a while and considered it normal

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Could be fuel if she hasn't been driven for a while and dirt getting into the carby. However I agree with Double Chevron, they are a bullet proof old motor, should be easy to get it ready for the Melbourne trip. Welcome to the forum and hope you get to enjoy one of the best cars, if not the best ever.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger

I had a CX that collected water in the bottom of the filler neck. Once enough had accumulated, filling the tank pushed some over into the tank and it then caused a misfire and eventual stop. In another irritating CX adventure, the intermittent misfire and occasional dead stop / refusal to proceed was due to a hairline crack in the rotor that shorted the ignition out. The rotor and cap are not unique to the CX and should be easy enough to find. Another thing you could check, assuming it has a point distributor is the state of the capacitor and also whether the wire running across the front of the engine from the coil to the distributor hasn't had it's insulation burnt away, allowing it to short on the exhaust manifold and stop the car.

UFO

Blue CX 2400 in Wollongong belonging to an enthusiast. No enthusiast that I know of in the area. Best of luck with it. You already have some of the CXperts proffering experienced advice.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Blue CX 2400 in Wollongong belonging to an enthusiast. No enthusiast that I know of in the area. Best of luck with it. You already have some of the CXperts proffering experienced advice.
    I think he was that Malaysian student who introduced himself on here a couple of years ago ...and then vanished.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger

Perhaps the same beast ...
    1981 Citroen CX Manual (not C-matic)

Welcome Al, and congratulations.

Great to see new interest in the magnificent CX. I hope you restore the car well. This forum is a great place for discussion, advice and opinions.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Tadpole

Hey,

Thanks all for the info and advice, that is indeed the car and enthusiastic overseas student Wollongong based seller in question. Going from the old thread above it looks like he has certainly done a good bit of cosmetic tidying to it and the receipts he has supplied correlate with the mechanical work he said has been done in his ownership.

I don't think the issues I have experienced are anything he knew about or was purposefully concealing. Just one of those things really buying a 33 year old car sight unseen and immediately setting off on a 900Km journey in it...

As soon as I get it down to Melbourne (going to be transported down by the RACV they've confirmed yesterday - their service really has been fantastic) I'll get stuck in to plugs, leads, points, coil, check the wiring, drain the fuel, change the filters etc and see how it goes. Looks like it will take them a while to get it moved though, so I'm not expecting it much before the end of the month.

Given the car was quite full of nature I'm thinking it's very likely stale/water contaminated fuel as I don't think it had been used overly much of late, but time will tell. Once it's running right and I've had a look at the clutch and other assorted jobs I'll see where plans take it, at the moment I'm thinking track down a couple of replacement doors, a bonnet and then give it a respray - hopefully not finding additional rust in the stripdown.

Here's how it's looking nowadays.

New member, first CX.-img_20140405_1527382.jpg

Rgds,

Al

A CitroŽn 147!

I have a set of spare doors. PM me if interested.

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Welcome and nice drive when she's sorted. You sound very happy even with the breakdown, you are the right kind of Citroen owner. Long may you enjoy her.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Seems it's infectious. Here's one I bought a little while ago and finally got around to picking it up last Friday. 79 Pallas. Nice runner but needs spheres all round.

New member, first CX.-p1030335.jpg
    Out of the 1992 Saab 900 turbo and into
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Nice ... If you guys have't figured it out yet, CX's need to be kept under cover, if you don't have a carport of garage they disintegrate before you eyes The ones still about are the survivors that have lived under cover for most of there life!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

I think mine has been outside for the last couple of years, although it was somewhat under cover when I went to collect it in a sheltered spot behind a block of units and I think the chap kept it under a car cover.

It can look forward to a nice warm garage when it gets to Melbourne so long as it doesn't crumble to dust before it makes its way down from Canberra, as I suspect it's sleeping outside in a workshop compound until the transport company collect it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Nice ... If you guys have't figured it out yet, CX's need to be kept under cover, if you don't have a carport of garage they disintegrate before you eyes The ones still about are the survivors that have lived under cover for most of there life!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    A carport like this perhaps?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New member, first CX.-image.jpg   New member, first CX.-image.jpg  

Adrian

Current;

Past;

DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Quote Originally Posted by ariddell
    ...after it got dropped off the truck I noticed a bag of chips I had left in the door pocket 3 weeks ago was mysteriously shredded and all over the floor.... Further inspection revealed a bottle of water gnawed on, and a section of foam shredded around the rear seat...
    Are you sure it was a rat, and not the haulage contractor?

Tadpole

Unfortunately much as I want it to the CX has alas been failing to gain my affection, it's running well now I've replaced the carby and seems generally mechanically sound but just hasn't sold itself to me.

As such, it's up on Gumtree if anyone fancies a cheap project. Think I'll hang off till I can find a good late S2 turbo some time in the future instead.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chelt...ual/1047054604
    Last edited by ariddell; 20th May 2014 at 05:21 PM.

Thread Information