DS Front Wheel Bearing
  • Help

Default DS Front Wheel Bearing

Hi
    After being off the road for three years the time has come to get my D moving again. One of the front wheel bearings is rumbling and I've been told it will need to be fixed for a WoF.
    Im trying to weigh up my options here; I do have one NOS front wheel bearing which if I was to source a second one could be fitted, and I would never have to worry about it again during the ownership of the D. Then there is the possibility that the seals will be damaged and need replacing, etc, so it might just end up opening a can of worms?

Advertisement

Another option would be to source another used front hub assembly and fit it as a unit. This may also provide me with many trouble free miles of motoring, but then again it may not as it would be of unknown history / condition. The unfortunate thing is that I used to have a few spare hubs but they got sent to the scrap metal man when we shifted house.

Can anyone please comment on the logistics of replacing the bearings? Is it the sort of job that someone with basic mechanical skills and tools can safely undertake? I have spoken to a local well respected D mechanic and I could almost hear him shaking his head over the phone! He said he's only done a few and it was a rather unpleasant experience (my words- his actual description of the job was a little too colourful to reprint here!).
    Last edited by cresco750; 4th April 2014 at 09:26 AM.

They almost never wear out. Install a good used one and be done with it. Chance of success is near 100 percent.

Via the aussiefrogs App

The bearing itself is quite the engineered device. Carter Willey undertook a teardown and assessment and chronicled it on one of the Yahoo ds lists.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    The bearing itself is quite the engineered device. Carter Willey undertook a teardown and assessment and chronicled it on one of the Yahoo ds lists.

Via the aussiefrogs App

I also have experience in this area, one quiet New Years Eve with a highly skilled instrument maker.
    Carter was advised and complimented us on the clever tool, the method and the fact the process did not damage anything. Carters endeavours were less successful in the latter area.

My advice concurs with Daffy, replace with a decent used one, much easier and the aforementioned process is not for the inexperienced. Sometimes identifying a good used one can be difficult, don't ask me how I know.
    However, the replacement process of a full assembly is easy.
    Last edited by richo; 4th April 2014 at 11:58 AM.

Is it worth shoving some grease in to see if that makes a difference for starters?
    You can buy new ones but I think they're around 400Ä?

Thanks for the responses, guys. Well, I'm convinced that bearing replacement isn't a practical option and I'm now in the process of sourcing a suitable used unit. Am I correct in thinking that the housing must be drilled somehow in order to grease / oil the bearings?
    As a general rule, is the whole hub and drive installed as a unit?

Fellow Frogger!

I fully concur with the above regarding the wheel bearings,however the ball joints are another matter,neglected ball joints wear out but are a relatively minor challenge to replace.I have about 10 hubs here with good wheel bearings but none with 2 good ball joints.
    Woody

Thread Information