DS5 - what do you think?
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DS5 - what do you think?

TRT

Default DS5 - what do you think?

Was looking at a DS5 today. Looks interesting (OK, quirky). Comes with 6 year warranty and capped servicing. Anyone know much about it.

I see it got a Top Gear award for family car - I think mainly from Jeremy by the wording. But mainly because it was a "brave" departure form the offerings of other Frogs and Germans.

Any views?

TRT

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Fun to play with, but I haven't driven one far enough to comment. C5 motor and gearbox, but the body sits on the new extended PF2 platform, so no C5 suspension.

It took my eye in the showroom, too.

It felt/looked more like a Citroen than some of the others, but as yet, I haven't driven one.
    The reviews have been pretty ordinary, but I guess one should DIY before forming an opinion.

One day, I will indeed take one to the tarmac ...

UFO

Correct that to no suspension seasink. Big wheels, rubber band tyres - YUCK!

I thought the C5 X7 was tight in the back seat space. The DS5 seems tighter.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Frťdťric Banzet, the Director General of CitroŽn was reported in Autocar as saying that the LS5 version built in China was of better quality than the French version.

As the PSA strategy moves east and the Chinese will slowly turn to export, Australia could be well placed to get the products from the most modern of the PSA factories.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

TRT

Thanks all for that.

I went for a test drive the other day. My observations:
    DS5 is higher but shorter and narrower that the C5. And rear passenger room is restricted. But nice to ride so high up in traffic.
    Front seats are not as adjustable as C5, but otherwise OK - there is a seat extension so people like me (193cm) can almost fit.
    I liked the retractable head-up display.
    And the cruise control is a lot more reliable than the C5.
    Cockpit is fun - huge number of gadgets. Analog clock is stylish.
    But power/torque is a real come-down from the 2.2 C5 that I drive. And I'd forgotten the turbo lag is a lot more pronounced on the single turbo 2.0.
    Not bad overall. While it's gimmicky I'm not so sure I want to leave my C5.

TRT

Interesting assessment. The DS range is meant to be the premium end of town but your observations would suggest otherwise in my book. I'm tickled pink with my C5. The DS sans 'proper' suspension was never an option.

One question, purely out of curiosity, how is the cruise control more reliable in the DS?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

I ask the same as boy racer. The cruse on my X7, C5 is v good compared with my previous VW.

TRT

When in cruise control going up a hill, the C5 loses 2-3 km/hour, despite 450 Nm of torque. My C4 on the other hand goes up a cliff without departing from the exact set speed. The DS5 cruise control appears more like the C4 that the C5, notwithstanding the lack of power from the 2.0 motor.

I'm with the others on this - my cruise control works extremely well going uphill and has never given me cause to worry.
    Maybe it's worth getting yours checked.
    On the original topic, I'm wondering whether the DS5 might be the only larger Cit on offer in a few years' time.
    Tests I've read are very critical of the suspension, steering and handling in town.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by TRT View Post
    When in cruise control going up a hill, the C5 loses 2-3 km/hour, despite 450 Nm of torque. My C4 on the other hand goes up a cliff without departing from the exact set speed. The DS5 cruise control appears more like the C4 that the C5, notwithstanding the lack of power from the 2.0 motor.
    Three years ago my C4 had a suggested ECU upgrade to solve a pausing issue which left the CC dropping 5kmh before it would respond. No way to undo that.

All other modern Pugs and Cits I have driven have had spot-on-accurate cruise control.

The cruise control in my C5 has been perfect. I've had no problems going up hills, but there have been a few times when it hasn't held the speed in check going downhill. I've learnt to keep an eye on it.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

TRT

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    Three years ago my C4 had a suggested ECU upgrade to solve a pausing issue which left the CC dropping 5kmh before it would respond. No way to undo that.

All other modern Pugs and Cits I have driven have had spot-on-accurate cruise control.
    The speed setting is fine - it just drops a km or 2 when i start going up a steep hill. it returns within a few seconds to the set speed - sometimes takes 3-4 seconds to get back to set speed on a really steep hill. i presumed this was just because it was such a heavy car, but if others don't experience this i might have it checked. C4 on the other hand doesn't deviate from set speed no matter how steep the hill.

Thread Information