1993 Citroen BX16v instrument panel problem
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 1993 Citroen BX16v instrument panel problem

I have noticed a few nights ago that I have lost the lighting to the LHS of my instrument panel
    Not just one or two bulbs but the whole lot.
    Looking at the Haynes book of fairy tales wiring diagram only shows the power into a line of light bulbs through to the earth. I have power at the wire shown in the Cct diagram, and an earth.
    What I need is a Cct diagram for the instrument panel - anyone got one??
    I have checked the earth point on the steering column; its OK. I have even added an extra main body earth lead.
    Nothing appears to be unplugged; but it is a bit hard trying to look under the dash. I have removed and bypassed the dimmer. The dimmer works for the RHS of the instrument panel and the heater/cigarette/clock etc. There are no blown fuses. I have removed and refitted all the milti plugs, and checked the bulbs for continuity.
    Main worry is that this is the speedo side; as well as the fuel gauge and oil pressure.
    Got me stuffed I figure it will be a disconnected/lose wire as it just happened.
    Cheers
    Michael

Advertisement

No idea if it's the same issue you have, but I have encountered issues with dash electronics on BXs being caused by cracks in the printed circuit board. You'd need to remove the stupid dash pod thing and extract the instrument cluster, then examine the circuit board for damage. I then soldered in a small piece of wire to repair the connection.

On the bright side, the PCB is fairly simple and this makes it easy to follow the circuits!

Fellow Frogger!

Well I have fixed it. A long'ish story, so read on if you are interested.
    First up it was me who most probably caused the problem in the beginning. I had the instrument panel and under dash wires out/disturbed when chasing a oil pressure gauge and cruise control problem.
    So; I have a spare instrument panel and as I was not getting anywhere with the Haynes manual I decided to start using the spare as a test unit. First I removed all the bulbs from the test panel. Then I shone a small torch into each bulb hole and noted where the "lighted" area was. Now this may seem a funny thing to do - surely the bulb shines straight to the front. No. There are "light baffles" inside the panel that direct the light to various areas. Also there are some bulb spots blanked off, or not used. Anyway I found out the bulb locations for the panel lighting. Then I looked at the printed Cct boards - BOARDS! There are 3 overlayed on each other. To get to this Cct board and 2 of the bulbs out, you have to remove another small box from the back of the panel. It has a 3 pin plug on the outside and a 6 pin one underneath so care is needed on removal. Now, as I had found the lighting bulb locations I knew which Cct board powered the bulbs, and was able to trace it back to a plug. It is the one shown in the Haynes manual - imagine that
    Having gleaned all this from the test instrument panel I went back to the car. I am now very adept at removing the instrument panel from a BX. In fact this can be done without fully removing the panel. Just disconnect and tilt it back. So I removed the bulbs and tested them. WELL. The ones on the LHS were all blown I tested the power at all the bulb points on the Cct board and the earth on the earth side. All good. So I replaced the 4 blown bulbs and it all works.
    Why did all 4 blow at once - would not have a clue. I think I did/shorted something when I was working in that area last week. Actually do not care as it is now fixed and I have gained a lot of knowledge on the way it is layed out and now consider myself an expert on BX instrument removal.
    There, told you it was long - ish
    Cheers
    Michael

Michael,

I have been putting white LED bulbs that I bought from Jaycar to light my BX dash. Hopefully these won't blow again. It is nice to see the speedo again at night and wow that blue LED high beam light is bright now.

Cheers,

Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Michael,

I have been putting white LED bulbs that I bought from Jaycar to light my BX dash. Hopefully these won't blow again. It is nice to see the speedo again at night and wow that blue LED high beam light is bright now.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Hi Ken
    The little bulbs have a variable life, but I am now an expert at replacement 😀
    Are the LED bulbs you have soldered in, and are they still to be dimmed?
    Cheers
    Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Have written a thread on replacing instrument lamps in a Xantia which I think is similar, can't find it in archives. But the problem in my case was not the lamps themselves failing but the contact between the printed circuit track & the lamp contacts was just dodgy with age putting out the lamp. Soldered small white leds with their dropping resister directly on to the printed circuit board, worked a treat. Give the track surface a bit of a clean & then use a circuit cleaning "pen" to help the surface before soldering. General panel lamps look good & are still dimmable. I used coloured leds for the specific warning lamps. I tried each led/resistor in its hole with power on to make sure the polarity is correct, turn off power, then solder. The panel voltage is too low to damage the led if it is in back the front so don't worry about checking that way. You may have to point the led in the correct direction by bending its leads in some cases where the panel illumination is required in a specific direction.

Do it now while the panel is out, saves problems down the track.

Regards

agd123

Thread Information