Not many Citroens at RACV Classic
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Not many Citroens at RACV Classic

Default Not many Citroens at RACV Classic

I was wondering why only 3 Citroens turned up in the large space reserved for the club at last Sunday/s European Classic show at Flemington Racecourse .

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Julian I guess the RACV Classic is mid way between the COCOA/CCCV concours earlier in Mar and the Easter Cit-in. Sadly depending on personal circumstances there's only so much free time and weekend time to even visit or exhibit. There's a lot in modern life competing for our leisure time..

Whether or not there would a case from time to time to do the Vic concours within the RACV event.. cannot say.

Cheers John

Icon6

G'day,
    I assume there was the usual multitude of Peugeots. We will appear at any gathering.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

My guess would be that there was a total of 3 Citroen enthusiasts that knew the event was on.

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    My guess would be that there was a total of 3 Citroen enthusiasts that knew the event was on.
    Notwithstanding, RACV?? That's and insurance company is it not - little to do with motor cars.

John

I WANTED to GO but weather people predicted rain and thunder storm night before so I did not set alarm! Next year for sure!
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Fellow Frogger!

John and I and brother Hans, who bought a P6 Rover recently, set up our picnic table amongst the Rover enthusiasts. With our partners and our sister from Hamilton, it was a real "BUZZ".
    John and I have really pushed, through this forum, that the Citroen enthusiasts make an effort to come to this wonderful event in the past. We discussed amongst ourselves, if to take a Citroen convoy this time but with such lack of interest, we decided to take our British Cars.
    Three Citroens sitting there, within a large allocated space was an embarrassing sight.
    Enjoying the atmosphere as we made our way among the varied makes we came across Tim Cottrell. It was good to catch up.
    It was interesting to meet the new owner of the salmon/pink "Movie" 1967 DS21 Citroen that we once owned. This was one of the three Citroens present on the day.
    When we've taken our Citroens in the past, it is rewarded by people reminiscing, the days they owned a Citroen. Then the kids that are in awe of the shape and the way "they go up and down" and more importantly the ones that have always wanted to own one of these oddities. We hope that as the day draws to a close that maybe, there will one day, out of these enlightened people, be a new owner to relieve us of a car that is waiting to "live again".
    Michael

That's a pity to hear how so few rolled up. The only way to keep the classics in the eye of the curious is to have them on show. Tim's old ID always gets attention from the men and women who knew them in the 50's and 60's - the doctor down the street, the teacher from school, etc.

I hope this year's RACQ Motorfest will have a healthy display of CitroŽns. I couldn't go to the last one due to work commitments but the year before had about 5 cars on show - one SM, two ID 19's and DSpecials respectively.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

I go every year and did this year but with two cars off the road and a family event to rush to, it was not possible to show a car. Also noticed a very poor turn out at the Concours day. Past years have been better attended.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Fellow Frogger!

Yes it's true that this years concours at Como Park the number may not have been normal (Where were any of Tractions, XMs, etc)

But speaking personally those of us that did go had a great time and it may have been quality over quantity. And perhaps the 2013 concours followed by the French Car show at Williamstown in Oct, the 2014 concours and Cit-in are too much for we poor Mexicans. (Williamstown was a great day and of course being almost in the middle of the main drag, plenty of nice restaurants and coffee shops across the road)

It would be good to have had something like a HY van or similar onsite for catering. Kanteen across the road is ok and some of the items on their menu are good. But think French, think crepes, pancakes, French food... that was missing. Where was Manu or Gabriel Gate when you need them?
    Of course Gabriel was at Williamstown.

John

Fellow Frogger!

I have been a serial attendee at the Melbourne Citroen concours for more years than I care to remember. However, for whatever reason, the clubs decided to move the event from it's traditional late year timing to early in the year. I guess that at my age I'm resistant to change but I just couldn't get enthused to make the effort.
    The Flemington RACV event is not one which I try to attend regularily, I think my first was in the early '70s. I was aware that it was on but hacking down the Calder, flogging across to Flemington and then paying $15 to display the car didn't really appeal.
    roger

In my opinion it is good that the variety and number of cars changes from year to year or else it gets boring. It is easy these days to get classic car overload - go to a couple of gigs within a few months and you have had your fill for a while. Leave it for a year or two then bingo, fully enthused again and ready to enjoy some old favorites, a few cars you haven't seen before, or the remarkable restoration of a previously tatty old rust bucket. If it was the same cars year after year then what's the point.

cheers Tony

Fellow Frogger!

A definite highlight this year was the 2CV under restoration, almost finished bar the 4 doors, bonnet, front guards. Apart from being in great condition it was entertaining to see it driven off its trailer and do a small run around the park! And seeing Lamoors GS.

So 2014 was the year of the air cooled & turbocharged Cits..

Fellow Frogger!

OK it is complicated.

I am just back on CCOCA committee so was not involved in last years decisions. From what I know the Renault club wanted to move the FCF to October 2013 which is historically when CCCV /CCOCA run their own Concourse.

The CCOCA/CCCV committees of the period agreed to this proposal ( although CCCV did run a small Concourse by itself in March 2013 just to confuse matters ) to support the Renault club and make the FCF as big and good as it was. In 2013 it had been CCOCA's turn to run the joint Citroen clubs' Concourse event which was conducted within the FCF. It was overwhelmed by the main event though.

So in 2014 it was CCCV's turn again and for some reason ( not known to me ) they once again kept the event in March and ignored the traditional October timeframe. As a consequence it was not well attended but all of us there had a good time.

The main lesson to learn could be not to meddle with traditional event dates in future. It remains to be seen if we can get our traditional October venue back next year - I personally hope so. I also hope both CCCV and CCOCA can agree on a return to the October Concourse format permanently.

Hawk (Ted Cross)

Thread Information