DS Safari Towing Capacity
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Default DS Safari Towing Capacity

I've sourced a tow bar for my DS23 Safari (not the tongue, though). So, after some advice from the brains trust : what kind of weight could the car comfortably pull?

Advertisement

Thanks in advance.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

What's your definition of "comfortably" ? They can legally tow 1800kg ............. Could you imagine how slow it would be
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    What's your definition of "comfortably" ? They can legally tow 1800kg ............. Could you imagine how slow it would be
    Wow, that much!? 1800kg would be with trailer brakes I guess. Though I'd still pity the poor thing's clutch etc etc and couldn't do it.

So, assume no trailer brakes, and "moderate" impact on performance and levels of stress for the car and the driver! I'm thinking camper trailer or small caravan.

Still have to sort out the tongue too; which looks like it will almost sit on the ground, when lowered, after clearing the tail gate.

Towing with the ID21F is exactly why GM makes the Suburban.
    1000 kilos is about the max I would do.
    The ID21F just does not have the grunt required to get the load rolling.

Via the aussiefrogs App

When I was a kid, my dad used his ID21F to tow our two horses in a float all over the place. At least 2000kg of lightly braked highly mobile insanity. It wasn't the slowest thing on the road, but I suspect pretty close. The brakes seemed to cope, and the clutch didn't need replacing for a fair few years. But heavy trailers and fwd is a bad combo.

In summary, it'll tow whatever you throw at it, but don't expect it to perform very well or come out unscathed if the load is heavy!

Fellow Frogger!

Years ago I towed a Lt15 filled with spares on a 4 wheel car trailer using my '61 ID19, from Melbourne to Lawson in the Blue Mountains. I'm sure you can guess what that weighed. Would reach 110 Km/Hr. in 3rd gear, slowing to 100 Km/Hr over the next 5 Km on the level,unless in the wake of a semi trailer. 1st gear up Mt Victoria & I wouldn't have liked to try a restart there. My only problem was the broken windscreen just out of Albury in the September night air. I froze !
    Make sure the tow bar tongue is set to allow a slight fall for the trailer coupling. I had to have mine modified because the guy who made the tongue allowed for the car to drop under load which, of course, the ID didn't ,& initially with the trailer nose high, it was virtually undriveable at anything over 50 Km/Hr.,even with heaps of weight forward. Wonderfully stable at any attainable speed after modification.
    Your Safari would have to be a brilliant tow vehicle for any legal weight.

Have fun,
    Richard

1000+ Posts

I towed a large caravan from Iluka to Laurieton behind my 74 safari. Being ignorant of speed restrictions on towing vans I cruised as though I was only in the car with no van on the back;comfotably passing all and sundry. The car did it effortlessly,Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Clouseau View Post

So, assume no trailer brakes....
    You'd be looking at under 750 kg.

Jo

Thanks for the replies - really worthwhile info. I thought it would pull a lot less but I take the point that it is no tractor. And I never would have thought of the issue re the height not dropping under load, so thanks Richard. I think I can work with < 750 Kg. Looks like it might be best to do the tongue after finding the trailer/van.

Cheers

Thread Information