CX about to become appreciated???
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IE23

Thread: CX about to become appreciated???

Default CX about to become appreciated???

An accessible fantasy | ClassicCarsForSale.co.uk

Advertisement
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

It says fewer than 200 survive on the road in the UK today. Surely there'd be more than that in Australia. Despite our lower population, and higher prices when new, our climate has well and truly worked in our favor.

Nice of them to feature our car, or its double!! Thanks for the information - now to find the magazine. Why these guys sell the April edition in March is a different matter....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

Sadly the CX rusted very badly in the UK. There was a young lady owner of a CX Safari in the Citroen Car Club there. The car (fortunately) was that rusty brown colour so the rust didn't stand out so much. However, the bottom 6" of the outer door skin was completely rusted away. You could see the door card, which didn't rust.

I had a silver (gris perle) CX25IE in the UK. A very practical colour to have. It meant that the big holes rusted out in the plenum chamber (near the A pillars) could be "restored" with judicious application of silver gaffa tape. The same gaffa tape hid some boot problems. I loved the car. It cost me 1200 pound and I sold it for the same 3 years later. I admit I did throw a bit of money at it, like 4 new TRX tyres, new spheres all round, replaced rear arm bearings, replaced all discs.

I kept it washed and polished which singled me out as an Orstralian, but it looked great. Probably the nicest silver Citroen ever had, like real silver, not just metallic grey.

John

Wonderful cars, I still remember mine. Getting in it always felt like an adventure even on short drives.
    Regards,

George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

No need to convince me. Mine has been put to work this week. The Xantia broke the DS front window regulator system so the window was stuck fully open, can't be left out like that. So it is in the garage, the wife has the Prius and I am back to driving the CX the 40km to work. Foul weather it has been, not a problem, it has to be the best car in wet weather I have ever owned. I have been getting more into the groove as the week progressed, on Friday I gave a lift to one of my coworkers, a young guy and as we are walking down the road to where the car was parked, he expects it will be a Prius trip but when he spies the CX he says, 'Oh you have that car, I love that car. I suppose you like it too' No Comment. Halfway home, I go around a tight right hander a bit quick and the washer leaks onto the window. He says, 'Is that supposed to leak?' I just hit the wiper and he says 'Oh that's right it only has one, I love that' How many do you really need?

It is the single mindedness of the design, it is so right, I can't think of anything needed to improve it. You can't say that about many cars
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

Well put Greg. Single wiper. Ergonomic controls. Diravi steering lets you hit standing water at any speed and holds the car wheels at the angle the driver (rather than the conditions) dictate. Backlit speedo/tacho always visible.

Plus they look great. The only addition that should be added is the golf ball ashtray. It should have been standard on all series 1 CXs. Goes with the dash and the single spoke wheel to announce that this car is a CITROEN.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Well put Greg. Single wiper. Ergonomic controls. Diravi steering lets you hit standing water at any speed and holds the car wheels at the angle the driver (rather than the conditions) dictate. Backlit speedo/tacho always visible.

Plus they look great. The only addition that should be added is the golf ball ashtray. It should have been standard on all series 1 CXs. Goes with the dash and the single spoke wheel to announce that this car is a CITROEN.

John
    So right. I'm in the CX this week. Lovely.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    The only addition that should be added is the golf ball ashtray. It should have been standard on all series 1 CXs.
    John
    Sorry, but I think the golf ball ashtray is just over the top and much prefer the earlier inconspicuous ashtray!
    Cheers Gerry

I agree, and have the radio vertical so you can't see the dial. Pure design for design's sake
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I agree, and have the radio vertical so you can't see the dial. Pure design for design's sake
    Yes! the vertical radio is a design flaw from visibility point of view! Also if changed to a CD player radio they mabe hindered by the lever on the vent immediately above the radio!
    Cheers Gerry

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Yes! the vertical radio is a design flaw from visibility point of view! Also if changed to a CD player radio they mabe hindered by the lever on the vent immediately above the radio!
    Don't worry, they fixed it with the Series II CX. It's now down between the front seats on the center console. An excellent spot to be impossible to look at when driving along, and it manages to attract every bit of dirt, dust and rat shit that's in the car .... down into the head unit. It also means you can't used a CD player as they don't like to be vertical. Is this day of MP3 players it doesn't matter at all any longer, you just fit an MP3 head unit with SD card built in.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

[QUOTE=DoubleChevron;1242798] dirt, dust and rat shit that's in the car

Shane, you need to keep those rats out of your car!

I run a bluetooth unit with my iPhone, bloody awesome. Now there is iTunes radio with various music genre so no need to buy or download if you don't wish to. Its chat free and so far mostly commercial free.
    ScotFrog likes this.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Thread Information