Xantia AL4 change-up points, 50/60/70 kph revs
  • Help

Default Xantia AL4 change-up points, 50/60/70 kph revs

Still trying to work out how the gearbox should be behaving (which I know is adaptive, but ....)
    At what speed does your AL4 typically change up through gears?
    What gear would you be in / revs be at 50kph / 60kph / 70 kph?
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

It depends, depends. The only thing fixed is that it won't change into 4th below 70km. We then have 2nd, 2nd lockup, 3rd, 3rd lockup. You have to be accelerating slowly to notice the lockup. Generally 2 to 3 at about 50km/hr, 1 to 2 about 20km/hr. It depends on a lot of things, what law the computer is in at the time. After a while it will have taught you how to drive it
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thanks Greg
    Not sure I yet understand how to determine what lockup is doing/ when it is occurring? Ken W told me I could determine if lockup was working by getting onto a bit of cruising road, then lifting off and listening to what the gearbox did. Still haven't been in a traffic situation where I could try this.
    Presently getting 4th at about 72kph.
    Have an annoying bit of road I travel everyday that's 50kph, flat for about 200m, short steep downhill, then undulating for about half a k, where the car only ever drops below 22 revs about 15 metres before the end of the road. In the DS3 I just slot the AL4 into 4th before (or after depending on speed / traffic) the downhill where it stays unless I have to slow, otherwise it will usually sit in 3rd on this bit of road.
    The Xantia has a loud exhaust (not holed) and 22 revs is just a bit too resonant for my liking. If I sort the gearbox without too much cost I'll look for a quieter exhaust system.
    Last edited by Bruce H; 28th March 2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: typo
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Hi Bruce

that sounds about right to me. It will keep the engine at 2k - 2.5k all the time if it can. If there is any resonant issue give her a new rear muffler. What colour was the oil you got out of the box?
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

It's still dribbling out as I type - a blackish grey colour, so I assume due for a change.
    I removed the drain plug using the 19 (and my largest socket) that's obviously the level plug, but it's so firmly stuck in the larger plug the two came out together.
    Last edited by Bruce H; 5th April 2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Bruce H

You have to get it on the bench and separate those two. I had a bit of a fight with ours. Then you put them back, put 4 litres of fresh oil in, start engine, put the gearbox through all gears, leave the engine running for a while (10 mins) with the gearbox in drive to heat the oil up a bit then undo the level plug only and some should run out. When it slows to a dribble put the level plug back and you are done. The car should be level during this operation. If you don't have a hoist, I don't, run the car up on ramps put to high, put stands under the back jacking points, put car to low and then a Xantia at least will be pretty level.

You probably know all of the above but it doesn't hurt to re-enforce. If the oil is dirty I would do 1,000 km changes until it comes out cleaner. 3 changes should get you there.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thread Information