DS Road Trip Lesson
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: DS Road Trip Lesson

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Default DS Road Trip Lesson

After a couple of years of looking at the DS23 Safari in the shed, with the occasional brief outing, I now have some serious road miles under my belt - just returned from a 4,500 Km trip to Adelaide in the 40 year old beauty.

The journey was relatively uneventful (thanks to Lance at DS Motors). Most dramatic event was a floodway between Tamworth and Dunedoo that snuck up on me: bottomed out the front of the car, accompanied by the smell of burning rubber. Immediately pulled over but all I could find were a few almost imperceptible scratches on the bottom of a rubber over rider and nothing else. Bizarrely I've read of Froggers removing them . My advice: they serve another purpose than just protecting the bumper and banging shins!

Advertisement

Another observation was how lovely it is travelling with both front windows wide open, being able to talk without yelling, and listening to music all without being buffeted by the wind. That's what I call aerodynamics.

ah, got to love a safari, the best car in the world.

cheers Tony

Aerodynamics? Roof Racks? Open windows? Hmmmmm.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    ah, got to love a safari, the best car in the world.
    That car looks even better now without its over-riders.

One day it might even receive its old number plates back.

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Clouseau View Post
    The journey was relatively uneventful (thanks to Lance at DS Motors). Most dramatic event was a floodway between Tamworth and Dunedoo that snuck up on me: bottomed out the front of the car, accompanied by the smell of burning rubber. Immediately pulled over but all I could find were a few almost imperceptible scratches on the bottom of a rubber over rider and nothing else. Bizarrely I've read of Froggers removing them . My advice: they serve another purpose than just protecting the bumper and banging shins!
    Was the floodway wet ? Likely it picked up a mouth full of water causing the fan belt to slip. Your lucky the fan didn't drown the entire ignition system. You need to unzip the radiator chute before you go wading

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The floodway was dry and I hit it at around 90kmh. Definitely the over rider saved the day.

Good work Inspector. I take my D Special from Brisbane to Jindayne (fishing); back to Tumut and then to Junee (visit Dad) then back to Brisbane. I give the Werris Creek / Premer road a miss because of its poor condition (last trip across there was 2005).

My favourite part of that trip is Adaminaby - Tumut and Gundagai-Junee.

All very satisfying and I totally endorse your remarks about Lance (and John) at DS Motors.

Kevin
    Last edited by k eeles; 27th March 2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: incomplete

Gundagai to Junee is a cracking drive.

Addo
    I learnt to 'drive' on that road. firstly in my Simca Aronde and later in MGBs. I still cannot go back 'home' to Junee without at least one return trip in either the C5 or the D. The last trip was in my sisters borrowed Camery. Nothing like the real thing and only one way.

Cheers.

Fellow Frogger!

Anyone going south ( or north) between Wagga Wagga and Goulburn there is an excellent alternate route to the Human Highway. With excellent scenery, no cops (?), local traffic only (read farmers) and many windy sections strung together ( 65-75kph). I did it last Tuesday and had a hoot. It is all tarred now.
    North= Wagga to Junee to Cootamundra to Wallanbeen to Harden- (approx 10 km Yass side of Harden) turn left at railway siding to Boorowa. Then via Rugby on to Crookwell then Goulburn. While not as fast as the Hume, definitely more fun and only about 40 km further

After a couple of years of looking at the DS23 Safari in the shed, with the occasional brief outing, I now have some serious road miles under my belt - just returned from a 4,500 Km trip to Adelaide in the 40 year old beauty.

Another observation was how lovely it is travelling with both front windows wide open, being able to talk without yelling, and listening to music all without being buffeted by the wind. That's what I call aerodynamics.
    Congratulations.

And Inspector, just what spares and tools did you take with you for such a journey? You may dispell or confirm the essential tools and spares myth for interstate travel in a D.

(There's no substitute for a well prepared vehicle I reckon.)

John

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    Congratulations.

And Inspector, just what spares and tools did you take with you for such a journey? You may dispell or confirm the essential tools and spares myth for interstate travel in a D.

(There's no substitute for a well prepared vehicle I reckon.)

John
    Took spare LHM, engine oil and some distilled water just in case, a tool box and crossed my fingers! Fortunately no significant dramas to rectify or oils to top up. The car was well prepared and had a 123 installed just prior to departure.

When I say no dramas I neglect to mention one very hot 35 + degree day in Adelaide where we drove from Gawler to the Adelaide hills. The old road to Eagle on the Hill has been replaced with one that just goes up and up. Got to a point just short of the summit and the panic light came on. Pulled up and waited for ten minutes and proceeded without problem. Probably used around 200ml of coolant so topped up at a friend's place who had the same brand (I should have taken some but had water). I now know that Ds don't like stop start, steep hot conditions as the "cooling" air is drawn from close to the scorched asphalt. Wonder if I would have made the summit if I'd raised the car a little?

Probably the worst thing on the whole trip was the indignity of having to pull over on the hill with all the passing motorists thinking "sucker in a Citroen"! I can't think of another 40 year old car doing a trip like that so comfortably and, Adelaide hills aside, so effortlessly.

That would have been a great trip. Quite brave regarding the backup, I reckon. When I take my Renault R8 on the occasional long trip (Perth to Junee and return last year), I carry a small, tightly-packed carboard box with things like a spare distributor, fuel pump and water pump, spark plugs, assorted nuts and bolts and a few globes, radiator hoses, a fan belt, brake hoses and so forth. I've never had a major problem (preparation!) but you can be stuck for a while if something silly fails. I guess NSW to Adelaide is a lot more closely settled than Perth to Port Augusta though.

Good on you.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

I would have thought a plentiful supply of cigars is all that is needed for a D to travel the World.

John

Took spare LHM, engine oil and some distilled water just in case, a tool box and crossed my fingers! Fortunately no significant dramas to rectify or oils to top up. The car was well prepared and had a 123 installed just prior to departure.

When I say no dramas I neglect to mention one very hot 35 + degree day in Adelaide where we drove from Gawler to the Adelaide hills. The old road to Eagle on the Hill has been replaced with one that just goes up and up. Got to a point just short of the summit and the panic light came on. Pulled up and waited for ten minutes and proceeded without problem. Probably used around 200ml of coolant so topped up at a friend's place who had the same brand (I should have taken some but had water). I now know that Ds don't like stop start, steep hot conditions as the "cooling" air is drawn from close to the scorched asphalt. Wonder if I would have made the summit if I'd raised the car a little?

Probably the worst thing on the whole trip was the indignity of having to pull over on the hill with all the passing motorists thinking "sucker in a Citroen"! I can't think of another 40 year old car doing a trip like that so comfortably and, Adelaide hills aside, so effortlessly.

A whole 200ml of coolant! You and the D had done very well!

(Did you notice very few German luxury vehicles venture out of the comfort of the big smoke?)

Maybe we can pinch the old slogan from one of my early vehicles - "Some Car this Citroen"

John

JAJEA.
    On our 15,000km trip last year to the west,including Exmouth ( Ningaloo ) in our x7 C5, there was a very noticeable lack of all up market cars on the road. When it comes to touring, the lack of the GRAND TOURERS on the road is surprising. I guess their owners are too busy making money to pay for their cars or they tour overseas.
    The dominance of LARGE 4WD's with their massive vans in tow is incredible. I reckon they must use at least 15 to 20 litres / 100km which makes for a pretty expensive road trip. Even the larger diesel camper vans are reckoned to use 17l / 100km. At an average of $1.80 / litre ( hope my calculations are OK ) this would be $4590 in fuel alone for this trip. We averaged 6.5l /100 so the cost was $1755.

Quote Originally Posted by tasie C5 View Post
    JAJEA.
    On our 15,000km trip last year to the west,including Exmouth ( Ningaloo ) in our x7 C5, there was a very noticeable lack of all up market cars on the road. When it comes to touring, the lack of the GRAND TOURERS on the road is surprising. I guess their owners are too busy making money to pay for their cars or they tour overseas.
    The dominance of LARGE 4WD's with their massive vans in tow is incredible. I reckon they must use at least 15 to 20 litres / 100km which makes for a pretty expensive road trip. Even the larger diesel camper vans are reckoned to use 17l / 100km. At an average of $1.80 / litre ( hope my calculations are OK ) this would be $4590 in fuel alone for this trip. We averaged 6.5l /100 so the cost was $1755.
    Yes, I agree with you. Your trip was classic "grey nomad" territory I reckon. On our Renault R8 trip from Perth to Junee it was much the same until we left the main road in South Australia and drove from Port Augusta through Horrock's Pass to Peterborough and across to Morgan, on the River Murray. And yes, now I come to think of it, not too many of the much-vaunted Audi/Benz/BMW brigade. They fly. I must admit we fly too as a rule, if heading over East, . It's cheaper these days and we've done the Nullarbor a few times.

Like you, I'm staggered at the cost of those big 4WD and caravans, both capital and running.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

Like you, I'm staggered at the cost of those big 4WD and caravans, both capital and running.
    That pays for a shedload of hotel rooms and you can park anywhere you can fit your car.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Or do it the old fashioned way and camp; wherever you like. You can fit a good tent in the boot of a CX and therefore a D
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Interesting thought re the lack of German cars out back, especially old ones. I think it's true. Though I dare say there are some very nice ones that would be fun to take on a trip. Speaking of which I was lucky enough to be sight seeing at Port Elliot. Never got to see the sights because we pulled up in a friend's car to see what was the most impressive Mercedes Benz I have ever seen. It had been owned by Argentinian President Juan Peron, and wife Eva had travelled in it. It was beautifully restored by the owner who kindly responded to our pleas to give it the once over. And it was being used, albeit housed relatively close by. Amazing looking car. It's had an interesting history and has been lovingly restored by the owner, who has personally gone to great pains to do it justice. Thanks John. Not French - forgive me - but still very special.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226314999037

Default Road Trip

Finished the road trip. Only those of us who have ridden long trips in a D will know the feeling of satisfaction.

Brisbane Texas Inverell Manilla Wellington Junee Canberra Junee Wagga Junee Gundagai Tumut, Adaminaby, Jindabyne, Bathurst Armidale Brisbane. 4400 kms.

The car did not miss a beat. Thanks Lance and John (DS Motors) for your skills and fastidious preparation.

Transported my niece for her wedding in Canberra. Car looked great. Didn't win the fishing competition in fact I have to admit that the fish won by a mile.

Car is now filthy; covered in mud and dust (inside) and...... I'm not looking forward to the cleaning!

DS Road Trip Lesson-img_2232.jpg Outside Canberra Rex

DS Road Trip Lesson-img_2264.jpg Sawyers Hill Hut
    Last edited by k eeles; 13th November 2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: add photo

Well done! (But don't you know forums are for arguing, not doing? )

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Well done! (But don't you know forums are for arguing, not doing? )
    Addo, arguing is for blokes who have nothing better to do with their time: I'm ''doing' while there is still time! Who know what is around the next bend.

I also drove around Old Junee but no sign of Fingers

No, but I did spot a QLD registered D in Junee on the 21st of October (the two occupants walked into the caravan park as I pulled up and took a photo)

Fellow Frogger!

Re the scarcity of prestige Euro vehicles in the bush. Last year I drove the Strezlecki track and the Birdsville track in my Mitsubishi Challenger, in convoy with a GREAT WALL ( which had only one problem..dust sealing and the rear vision camera got dusted and became blind ). The absolute lack of JEEP product was really evident. At the time my son was "experiencing" a Wrangler ( our worst motoring experience EVER !! ), and at the time I was on first name basis with Chrysler/Jeep's customer service people in Melbourne. My advice to them was not to advertise with slogans like "There is only one Jeep"...because west of the Great Dividing Range that is the truth...and to keep away from Packard's line "Ask the man who owns one". Old safaris pop up in the wierdest places.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information