BX nightmare
  • Help

Thread: BX nightmare

Default BX nightmare

A while ago I replaced the octopus. Had a lot of woes starting - a whole sad story which I can bore people with if anyone is interested.
    BUT the current problem is absolutely no suspension on the back. The front went up quickly and the main accumulator is OK (new). Had the height lever up and down many times and the front reacts as it should. The car was on ramps for several months with the back obviously down low.
    Please Oh please don't tell me things about flow dividers, security valves, brake valves and other hydraulic mazes. A hammer blow on the rear height corrector would be welcome advice.
    Were it not for new tyres, new brake pads, a new octopus and other bits, the French tart would be heading for the crusher. The love/hate relationship is at the cliff edge.
    Any suggestions apart from increasing my ethanol intake would be most welcome.

rimzit.

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Linkages are probably off somewhere. Follow them under the car from the height control lever -> rear height corrector and see if they are displaced anywhere.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

My guess would be that the rear height corrector has seized whilst sitting on low suspension all that time. Remove it and free it up. If it is already free then look at the linkages!
    Cheers Gerry

Thank you Shane L and Gerry. The linkage at the rear corrector was off, that is the little ball attached to the corrector was not engaged. Now why did it slip out and should the movement be finger free. To take the bloody thing out is not an option at this stage.
    The left back wheel is on a ramp - took all morning to get it in that position.
    Once again, thanks guys.
    Rim.Z

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rimzit View Post
    Thank you Shane L and Gerry. The linkage at the rear corrector was off, that is the little ball attached to the corrector was not engaged. Now why did it slip out and should the movement be finger free. To take the bloody thing out is not an option at this stage.
    The left back wheel is on a ramp - took all morning to get it in that position.
    Once again, thanks guys.
    Rim.Z
    The height corrector is probably full of black sludge, so it's starting to seize up internally (to the point where it's that hard to move, the linkages pop apart first). If this is the case, just whip the height corrector out, strip it down and wash it in petrol the re-fit. It costs nothing other than a small amount of time.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The problem is that the "U" shaped section that connects to the little ball of the corrector pops out at the extreme settings. I could use the normal and high road settings but the bottom and the tyre change settings would pop the connection. I feel that the "U" shaped bracket needs to be bent a little towards the ball. I cannot see how the whole "cage" can be taken out since it is welded to the bracket around the torsion bar and the bracket cannot be taken off.
    Any comments from anyone who has had a similar problem would be welcome.
    Rim. Z

JBN

If you do decide to clean the height corrector, this is a good description with photos on how to do it. Its actually a Xantia height corrector but the procedure is the same.

Xantia Height Corrector Overhaul: Page 1

John

Thanks a lot John. The link is excellent and some aspects of life would be a lot easier with a good handbook or circuit diagram.
    I have box full of BX bits saved from previous cars and that includes height correctors. I'll clean one and replace it sometime in the future. The current problem was solved by simply moving the clamp along the torsion bar so that the bracket at the height corrector would not pop off the ball.
    Once again many thanks.
    Rim.Z

Thread Information