Early Dee Front Exhaust Pipe
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Early Dee Front Exhaust Pipe

Default Early Dee Front Exhaust Pipe

As in: Elbow pipe (flame tube) DS 12/59 > 8/62, stainless steel. From 12/1959 till 8/1962.

Advertisement

With postage, not much change from $250.

Would anyone care to share dimensions for local manufacture of one? Looks like it should be feasible in stainless for $200 or less with a mandrel bend. Is the flare double thickness?

Thanks, Adam.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    As in: Elbow pipe (flame tube) DS 12/59 > 8/62, stainless steel. From 12/1959 till 8/1962.

With postage, not much change from $250.

Would anyone care to share dimensions for local manufacture of one? Looks like it should be feasible in stainless for $200 or less with a mandrel bend. Is the flare double thickness?

Thanks, Adam.
    You really need a sample to get the bends correct. I can supply a used one but I'm in central Vic.
    Doesn't need to be in S/S, flares are single thickness.
    roger

Thank you Roger, my car presently has nothing forward of the manifold.

I'll see how it can be worked into a round trip over coming weeks. Would be nice if I could find someone in Castlemaine or thereabouts with the capability.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I'll see how it can be worked into a round trip over coming weeks. Would be nice if I could find someone in Castlemaine or thereabouts with the capability.
    Are you working on getting the ID on the road
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Not quite. I do need it mobile, hence the need for some exhaust to be present and unexploded tyres. I'll pack the suspension cylinders with Nylon 66 rod for now.

Fellow Frogger

I would have thought you might be able to acquire or borrow something locally from Denton for example? Otherwise, there are donor cars around that still have the exhaust parts at least as a pattern. A wreck could be worth having for the longer term.

Hi Adam, Roger.
    I live not far from Roger, (Elphinstone) and have drafting skills.
    If necessary and if Roger is willing to lend me the elbow pipe for a weekend I could produce a manufacture drawing fairly quickly. In line with an earlier stated ambition (to build a D) it could be useful to build up a collection of such parts drawings for future reference and supply.

SF

Fellow Frogger!

Castlemaine is the street rod capital of Victoria - I know this as there are billboards saying so. There's certainly is the local capability of bending up a pipe to a pattern, I've had some done for my SM. I'm happy to take a sample to them and get a quote if you wish.
    Scotfrog, happy for you to borrow a used pipe, I think that you have my phone #.
    roger

Roger, Addo,
    Just trying to offer a solution. Taking the sample to the benders for them to replicate is still your best option. I wouldn't mind their contact details for my D tail pipes if you have it though.
    Addo, I travel to Melbourne each week so if you need the exhaust pipe hand carried to Melbourne let me know.
    SF

I'm not sure how many people would make use of the drafted information; there are probably two dozen cars on the road here with that pipe. Simply concerned you'll burn out on details that will largely go unappreciated.

That's OK Addo, it's a simple part and minimal effort.

SF

Would you envisage a CAD file created from measurements of the original "donor" for fabricators to cut/bend/flare from, which would then be employed to make one for myself, or do you see two parallel streams - one of Roger having a copy hand fabricated, and the other being archiving of detail for future users?

Would you envisage a CAD file created from measurements of the original "donor" for fabricators to cut/bend/flare from, which would then be employed to make one for myself, or do you see two parallel streams - one of Roger having a copy hand fabricated, and the other being archiving of detail for future users?
    Both probably. If Roger can get the benders to copy his part they would possibly prefer that.
    My thoughts were along the lines.. 'it'll happen again to someone and maybe this time with no part to copy'.

Somewhere these drawings are lying in a plan chest gathering dust and silverfish. Getting a CAD database together is just a bit of a dream... too much for one man but if there's enough of us it would happen and the DS would then become immortal.. as a Goddess should be.

I have a dream (apologies M L King). Just imagine... "Print me another front bumper over-rider."

SF

Thread Information