CX Power steering
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CX Power steering

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default CX Power steering

This may have been covered before - if so, I am sorry.
    I have the chance to by an immaculate 76 CX2200 BUT, it does not have DRIVARI (??) steering fitted. Has anybody done a conversion (I know it is an epic) and, if so - are you able to list instuctions. I always like to start with the easy questions first.....

Advertisement

If the car is immaculate, buy it and appreciate it for what it is. Do not convert it!
    You will have the peace of mind that you have one of the rarer examples of this type!
    Cheers Gerry

Interesting, all CX 's are not equal? Was this some sort of poverty pack like the Belmont or ID?

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Early CX 2000 were all manual steering racks and some CX2200 also Pallas 2200 and 2400 and Prestige were Diravi rack cars.
    Steering is heavy on the non Diravi cars at parking speeds but no more so than an ID19 and lighter than a TA.
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Thanks,
    I guess all I would be missing is the self centring, light at low speeds steering, and the plumbing nightmare that goes along with it. I am assuming these cars are still centre-point and so extremely stable?. The car was a European import via the UK spent sometime set up on blocks in a garage with all of the upholstery wrapped in plastic sheeting. The current owner bought it from the original and as been registered and roadworthy in NSW and it has a complete service history all the way back to 1976. I am looking at it as a daily driver (around 3-4 days a week...) in Victoria. It is a Pallas and has front electric windows and air conditioning. So, diravi may have been an option in France at the time.

The silver car in the Blue Mountains, perchance?

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Usually I'd say don't convert it ... no way ........ But anyone that says this has never driven a manual steered CX.... They really are "not nice" to drive. The ID19's are still good to drive, I have one with and without power steering, and there both fine. I'd NEVER have a CX here without diravi though. There incredibly heavy, far heavier than an ID19. They feel like they understeer like pigs.... Rather than 2.5turns lock to lock, it's about 4.5. Most sadly end up as crusher fodder.... Don't let this one die !!!!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

You'd also have to change the pump to the 7 or possibly 5 piston variety. Best to have a complete donor and just change all the pipes, pump, governor etc. as needed. The rack and control unit are not in themselves hard to fit.

There is a reason the CX Super is almost extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    You'd also have to change the pump to the 7 or possibly 5 piston variety. Best to have a complete donor and just change all the pipes, pump, governor etc. as needed. The rack and control unit are not in themselves hard to fit.

There are donor cars around still too. The non-Diravi car would have to be very good to justify the pain I'd have thought. But it wouldn't be hard to find the bits for the conversion. CX-Basis used to have a brand new RHD Diravi rack for sale, for a price.

Personally, I'd find a good later car, and as you said, "there is a reason.... etc".
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Is that the same reason that early DS's are so thin on the ground and that there are relatively few 11bl's in this country?
    People just wanting later models and more upmarket models?
    Preserve it as it is! It will be more unique!
    Cheers Gerry

Good point about the Dees, but if that is what a shallow-focused market wants, so be it. It's no different to people converting six cylinder Mustangs into V8s.

At least it has air conditioning to cool the driver as they grapple with the steering. Besides, there's nothing to stop it being driven by the prospective owner, as they assess the possibility of a steering change down the track.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Addo, It is the silver car in the Blue Mountains. Know anything about it? (reasons I should give it a miss??)

I've seen it recently in passing, not looked closely (CX isn't really my cup of tea). I think any car sale without prior inspection in person, is a risk for one party not understanding the other.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi Shane,
    I understand where you are coming from - the problem is, finding a good, roadworthy, registered CX. A lot of people simply drive them into the ground due to the complexity and those who do have good ones hold onto them. If anybody does know of a good one, ready to drive, with Diravi, for sale, I would really like to hear about it. I currently drive a 2007 C5 wagon (amazing - has never broken down!!) But the family are grown and, I think the CX is possibly one of the finest cars Citroen ever built.

Icon11

WRB,

I have converted a CX2000 wagon from manual steer to Diravi. All the holes and mounts required were already there in the firewall. All you really need is a donor car that is narrow track that has all the diravi stuff still in place and that you have some confidence in that it is working properly and not too leaky and all the steering joints and arms are in good condition. It is also good to to do it when the engine and gear box is out so that access is easier. Finding a diravi unit with a good steering wheel might be a bit of a challenge as well. It would be best to look for a CX2200 Pallas as this would have most of the same running gear as the car you are looking at and be a good source of spares as well. Failing that a CX2400 C-matic prior to 1980 would still be narrow track although the gearbox will be different.

You will need to upgrade the HP pump to a 7 piston that sits on the gearbox and runs off the camshaft and make sure you have two speedo take offs available - one for speedo and one for diravi self centering force.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ken W
    Last edited by Ken W; 24th March 2014 at 02:53 PM.

Looking at the pictures of the car, I am with Gerry. Leave it alone, it is probably unique and I am pretty sure 1976 was the last year CXs were available with manual steering. Just make sure the steering and suspension is in perfect condition and from what I have heard the steering will be OK. It depends where you want to drive it. A manual steer, manual transmission CX will be hard work in the city but perfectly OK in outer suburban/country work. It is worthwhile buying for the seats alone, love that blue.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

I'm with Shane on this. One of the special things about a CX is the steering; direct & responsive feel and the fabulous self centering action. Manual steering - no thanks!

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Perhaps I could stick a Hillman steering wheel on it....

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Is that the same reason that early DS's are so thin on the ground and that there are relatively few 11bl's in this country?
    People just wanting later models and more upmarket models?
    Preserve it as it is! It will be more unique!
    More to do with enjoying Diravi steering rather than weight lifting I'd suggest. I totally agree with leaving the car original, as it is part of the CX story.

There's a pretty reasonable blue 2500 GTi for sale in Perth right now. It has had plenty done on it by one who knows how. PM me if you want details. Fly over on the cheapest ticket you can find and drive home. Nice trip.

Then there was the gorgeous automatic Prestige in Sydney a few months back and so forth. They are around. Whether you'd get one in as good original condition as the 1976 car you asked about in the first place is anyone's guess. I'd have thought the Sydney Prestige was pretty good. And I reckon auto would suit the car well.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Perhaps I could stick a Hillman steering wheel on it....
    Did you ever drive a Hillman? The Super Minx had the greatest understeer I have ever experienced.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi John,

I learnt to drive in a super minx. They had pre-radial tires so, a wonder they could steer at all.
    Yes, please PM me the details of the cars

thanks
    Warren

Still expensive yet simpler - fit an after market electric steering kit? A few Jag e-types have had it done and the owners rave about the improvement. I have an immaculate CX2400 that I have replaced the steering rack on. Big job even when standard. The electric drives directly onto the column and will leave the hydraulic system complete.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    Still expensive yet simpler - fit an after market electric steering kit? A few Jag e-types have had it done and the owners rave about the improvement. I have an immaculate CX2400 that I have replaced the steering rack on. Big job even when standard. The electric drives directly onto the column and will leave the hydraulic system complete.
    But will it be speed sensitive and will it self centre?
    Cheers Gerry

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I have electronic steering on the C5 - It is a great way to discover your battery needs changing... Nothing like Diravi, just typical power steering. (Well, the pump is electric... first thing to stop working when the battery is dying)
    Last edited by WRB; 25th March 2014 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    But will it be speed sensitive and will it self centre?
    Apparently you can setup the assistance to suit. The new little Fiat's have a city mode that lightens the load for parking at the push if a button. So maybe? At least the car will look as originally intended as a non-power steer. If the battery goes flat it will just work as normal. The fact the car in question has an immac interior & working A/c is a real bonus. Finding a rack that doesn't need an overhaul (around $1200 for an exchange via Pleilaides) is another risk. How about a Traction Avant with Electric steer with a Sanden electric A/c compressor with a boot mounted evaporator as a classic daily drive? You wouldn't loose any money on the work surely?
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information