Clever C5?
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Clever C5?

Default Clever C5?

Is this car clever or am I reading too much into this?
    This morning on the freeway there was a sudden glitch. The car 2 in front of me dived for the hard shoulder leaving the car in front to move up alongside him into the space he had vacated. I did the hard shoulder thing too and although the tyres did not squeal the stop was enough to dump my phone and laptop into the passenger foot well.
    No harm done, everybody's actions and reactions were good this time.
    However the C5's hazard lights were left flashing. When we moved off again I was still looking for the hazard switch to switch off when they went out. Job done!
    Is this a standard C5 (2002) feature that I missed when reading the user manual?

Advertisement

SF

1000+ Posts

User manual says----

Emergency operation of hazard warning lamps

A sudden deceleration of the vehicle causes the hazard lamps to come on automatically. They will cease to operate automatically, or manually if you press the hazard lamps button on the dashboard.

You can turn it on or off in the BSI.

Ahhhh! thank you. It's sooooooo un-Australian to read manuals.

But while I'm on clever cars what's with the 'turn on my windscreen wipers when he's not looking'?
    3 times now I've come back to the car or gone to it first thing in the morning and the wipers are parked vertically. They stay there after the engine's started until you flick the wiper switch. I've never seen it happen, always behind my back. Another page in the manual I haven't read?
    SF

1000+ Posts

Default Don't read the manual :)

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    Ahhhh! thank you. It's sooooooo un-Australian to read manuals.

But while I'm on clever cars what's with the 'turn on my windscreen wipers when he's not looking'?
    3 times now I've come back to the car or gone to it first thing in the morning and the wipers are parked vertically. They stay there after the engine's started until you flick the wiper switch. I've never seen it happen, always behind my back. Another page in the manual I haven't read?
    SF
    Hi ScotFrog,
    Actually it's your fault You bump the wiper switch when you get out and the wipers go to their service position !! This is so you can look at the blades or change them or whatever. Normally they park so tucked away you cannot access them. Handy or what
    jaahn

Mine is also pretty clever. Sometimes the sunroof will open all by itself. I presumed at first it was the 'beautiful day sensor' but it has also happened when not so beautiful. I thought it was supposed to close itself in the advent of rain going or stopped. Not so. I once had about 100mm of rain fall inside the car when my wife accidentally left it open one night.
    The auto headlights are fun for the car in front when they start going on and off due to low light then not low light situations. They think you are trying to send them messages.
    Those rain sensing wipers are pretty smart too. The way they go really fast sometimes when it is not raining much to not starting at all when there is limited vision due to rain all over the windscreen.
    But I do love the little button on the remote to close the windows and sunroof when someone has forgotten to do it when vacating.
    Some might say too smart for it's own good, but I love it. (I have to type this or it might get upset and break down)
    cheers Tony

My clever PSA product - prior to the current one - managed to flash a police car that had cut in on me as we were going under a bridge. I thought 'Oh great!', but I actually got an apologetic wave from the driver! LOL
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

My rain sensing wipers on my C5 never start automatically, but once I switch the wipers off and on again, they behave automatically. Is this normal?
    Leon

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi
    2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 HDi (wife's car)

Quote Originally Posted by dieselman View Post
    My rain sensing wipers on my C5 never start automatically, but once I switch the wipers off and on again, they behave automatically. Is this normal?
    My 406 v6 does this too

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Auto has to be activated by pushing down on the stalk briefly at the beginning of each journey in the C4. To cancel auto mode flick it up to on to any speed then off. Once a car in front put on their wash wipe which missed their screen & hit mine. I jumped as mine swiped it off: smart & funny.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Fellow Frogger!

Mine does as well. Not sure if that is what they are meant to do though.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

1000+ Posts

As Jinandfonic said. C5 is similar.

bas

I actually asked that question once when I was still living in Europe.

If you leave the wipers in automatic mode when you stop the engine they will not automatically re-start when you start the car again. The reason for this is that in frozen conditions, when your wipers are frozen to the windscreen overnight, you would completely destroy the wipers or the wiper motor if they would start automatically when you start the car.

Makes sense? It did to me when they explained it to me...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

UFO

Yep - our C4 and C5 require a tap down on the wiper stalk to activate auto wipe function as did the C4s and DS3 we've leased in France. You can also use this tap for an extra wipe if you think the screen needs it and it does not affect the cycle. I sometimes find on cool humid mornings that the auto wipe gets a bit confused due to condensation build up across the sensor area but after a while it sorts itself out.

On the C4 and 5 as you lock the car if you hold the lock button down it will close all open windows and sunroof (C5). The new model C4 we had in France in 2012 had an extra function of pushing the unlock button as you approached and windows would go down to release built up heat - very handy as it had a panorama roof!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Yep - our C4 and C5 require a tap down on the wiper stalk to activate auto wipe function as did the C4s and DS3 we've leased in France. You can also use this tap for an extra wipe if you think the screen needs it and it does not affect the cycle. I sometimes find on cool humid mornings that the auto wipe gets a bit confused due to condensation build up across the sensor area but after a while it sorts itself out.

On the C4 and 5 as you lock the car if you hold the lock button down it will close all open windows and sunroof (C5). The new model C4 we had in France in 2012 had an extra function of pushing the unlock button as you approached and windows would go down to release built up heat - very handy as it had a panorama roof!

Yes, full of suprises these vehicles. A series 1 C5 i owned had a handy function where you could tap the unlock button and it would wind all the windows down a few centimeters to allow ventilation in hot weather. Deleted on series II by the ADR guys.

On the Picasso's If you listen carefully you will hear the interior ventilation fan "boost" when you activate the windscreen washers, probably to prevent misting or something on such a large screen. Thought I was imagining it at first but now on my second Picasso and it does the same.

Clever beasts.

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Possibly, as mine does this as well.

con...

Quote Originally Posted by mcook View Post
    On the Picasso's If you listen carefully you will hear the interior ventilation fan "boost" when you activate the windscreen washers, probably to prevent misting or something on such a large screen. Thought I was imagining it at first but now on my second Picasso and it does the same.
    It's more likely that it's the recirc flap activating, preventing the occupants from smelling that "nasty" windscreen wash fluid.

This of course gives the impression of the fan "boosting".
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Found a feature of my C4 when stopped at road works outside of Horsham earlier in the week. As the manual says 'In the event of a prolonged stop with the engine running, the gearbox changes automatically to neutral'.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    ... the C5's hazard lights were left flashing. When we moved off again I was still looking for the hazard switch to switch off when they went out. Job done!
    Is this a standard C5 (2002) feature that I missed when reading the user manual?

SF
    The C2 also does this when the ABS kicks in with emergency stops.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Curiously, this feature was introduced as "EBA" (or emergency brake assist) as research demonstrated that a large number of accidents could have been avoided if the driver had pressed the brake pedal a bit harder! Effectively, if the brake pedal pressure hits about 80% of maximum, the ABS system will activate maximum retardation braking. The hazard lights indicate that this system has been used (and also warn other motorists of the rapid deceleration).

Standard in most PSA cars from about 2004.

UFO

Following the examples I have seen when driving in Europe, when I come upon a line of stopped or very slow traffic on the highway now, and I am the end of the line, I immediately put my hazard lights on until there are a couple of vehicles behind me. Also of course hold my foot on the brake. Any warning you can give to approaching traffic may save you and them some grief.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default Not so clever C5

I knew it would be a mistake to talk about the C5. It has been running flawlessly since I replaced the connector to the air con module and patting her on the back as I did at the start of this thread woke up the gremlins.
    I seem to remember reading about ESP/ASR error messages on a post but can't find it so here goes again.
    The other morning I started the car, flawless as ever, took off out the drive and was a tad concerned about how sluggish she seemed on this short but steep uphill section. At the top when the road levelled out, no problems and I settled down for the drive to the office. Then....
    "Beep" followed by ESP light on dashboard coming on, followed by error messages on multi function display advising 'service required and ESP/ASR error'.
    The car was only serviced 3 or 4 weeks ago and has been driving fautlessly.
    Other than error message the car seems fine, maybe she is a tad sluggish first thing but that could be imagination.
    It's a 2002 C5 Hdi with about 135000 on the clock.
    The car has done this 'beep' thing for 3 days now and it's not going away no matter how hard I try to ignore it.

Any clues as to where I need to look?

SF

Fellow Frogger!

Most likely the brake switch, which I replaced on mine recently. Although that combined with having difficulty getting it out of park.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

Fellow Frogger!

I agree with M. Leithant. The brake light switch is capable of sending spurious messages. You may also find a modified ( longer ) piece of wiring into the harness is supplied if the vehicle is attended to by someone with previous knowledge. I can't remember why now, I suspect David S will add more detail. It has been proven under my roof that a dying battery can also send spurious messages. last week our C5 was telling of water in the diesel, in a fleeting statement that was just shown long enough to actually read .. cured with a new battery .. and there was no water in the diesel filter !!! BTW the diesel filter's drain plug system is a brilliantly simple bit of design work complete with a "waterslide" to prevent spillage. The battery installation was a tool less exercise too ... absolutely amazing .. Peugeot HAVE progressed Citroen.

Default Top of the class again.

Clever car again.
    30 deg in Melbourne. Hot start no warning messages. Drives perfectly...... Till next time.
    What's the bets it's the battery? The problem started on the first cold morning start of the year, raining too.

SF

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information