Another AL4 question
  • Help

Default Another AL4 question

I've now had the chance to drive the latest acquisition (99 Xantia, 135000ks, no service history) in 15 minutes of stop start traffic, and as expected the AL4 is not behaving perfectly.
    Changes up seem comparable to mum's, the other AL4 Xantia I occasionally drive. Changes down generally seem ok, but... when it comes to a complete halt there's a lag (sometimes considerable) before it thuds down to lowest.
    Most the posts I've read seem to be about more drastic AL4 failures/ flashing snow sports lights/ locked in 3rd/ marked slipping.
    Despite the fact that the car has been serviced seemingly around 1000ks ago (by an agent other than my usual mechanic), I assume the first bit of advice will be to check/ change the fluid?
    Any other suggestions?

Advertisement
    Last edited by Bruce H; 11th March 2014 at 07:46 PM.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

The first thing to do is change the fluid. Depending on what colour fluids comes out, some more changes may be necessary in the short term.

I would then hook it up to a Lexia and see if any faults have been logged. I would be surprised if there isn't one for pressure regulation fault which means you have to change, or get changed the pressure regulation solenoid and while you are at it the converter lockup solenoid.

I still like our AL4 equipped Xantia, it takes a while for it to to teach you the way to drive it but in the end benefits are worth the little bit of annoyance you get from time to time.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger!

Yep sounds good to me. Cheers

Silly question maybe, but the selector indicator light for drive on mum's car is green, but on this one it's red. Any significance in that, or is it just a few months difference in dash panels?
    I thought I'd read somewhere that an "aged fluid" warning would show as snow and sport lights?
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Your solenoids are sticking a little, replacement will be your answer .just a note that the new o.e ones are very precise,so if your car has a few Ks on the clock you may want to consider my slippery solenoids that I offer.
    Best regards Tony B

Thread Information