D Special 3600km road trip - what to take
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: D Special 3600km road trip - what to take

Default D Special 3600km road trip - what to take

Hi All,
    seeking your thoughts, driving from Perth to Blue Mountains NSW in a 70 D Special - what would you take tool wise?

Advertisement

A. No tools - because if you break down nothing will help.
    B. as many tools as you can jam in your luggage
    C. a Leatherman tool, a litre of LHM, some pantyhose, clutch cable and a list of Nullarbor Citroen dealerships.
    D. none of the above

Getting to Perth to collect the car involves an airline flight so this limits the "take every tool" option.
    So what would you take?

BF

Have you bought a yellow D by any chance? Return hoses and spare clutch cable/housing worth laying your hands on. The bell housing. A spare tyre! Metric sockets, spanners philips and flat screw drivers, a satellite phone! Hire one perhaps, worth investigating, phone charger off lighter, check it has a jacking stand and know how to use it with suspension settings!
    gee what else, plenty of water and a bloody hat, a blanket warm clothes a powerful torch plus a pocket one for staring at any iffy stuff under the bonnet.
    Oh hang on forget all that just a battery powered mini fridge and as much beer as you can afford!
    a very sharp knife and a gun!

It depends on the condition of the car and your own mechanical skill. I have a DS that likely would not need any tools for such a trip. I have another DS for which I would want a lot of tools. I have done several interstate flights to pick up old Citroens on which I have taken a basic tool kit in a plastic box weighing about 10 kg. I suggest you do something similar. You could organise to buy say 5 litres of LHM while in Perth. A clutch cable is not a silly idea. Might be smart to drive it around Perth for a day or two and fix anything dubious before you head over east. For Plan B, how about super-duper NRMA membership.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

A small tool pouch. If your D Special still has a mechanical voltage regulator, consider taking a spare electronic one. Install or change the fuel filter ( sometimes overlooked in a thorough big trip service)
    Last edited by moulton2speed; 9th March 2014 at 01:36 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Congratulations on your purchase.

Yes, wiring schematics, 4G phone and contacts for expert help, basic auto sparky tools, hopefully it's a 15" tyred car so you can sort inadequacies before leaving, self amalgamating tape for the water hoses, I'd pack carby cleaner (which you can't practically fly with) and a cold weld epoxy like Devcon to deal with busted metal like a radiator tank or heater core, hose clamps, tie wire, duct tape and gaffa.

What is the history of the car? Depending on its last owner/custodian/service it may be a simple preparation or you may need to have a tow truck follow you. As for mobile phone coverage - don't depend on it too much for vast distances over the Nullabor. Even your gold card with a motoring organisation is only as good as your ability to contact them and their service availability. In 2011 I spent a few days at Mundrabilla waiting for a hydraulic pump belt. The RAC serviceman at Eucla was on leave and the nearest help was at Norseman some 700km away.
    Should the worst happen make a note of the trucks frequenting the vicinity. Their drivers will often carry parts to motorists in trouble and will be much quicker than post etc. My part was sent using 'guaranteed next day delivery' - except that for the last part of the journey (Norseman out) came with the mail - which only came once a week.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Default D Special 3600km road trip - what to take

Based on my experience with recent long road trip with our CX, take a spare hydraulic return hose from the regulator or some bits to effect a repair. Ours split luckily only 50kms from a town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Speaking to Bob over lunch he tells me the car is driving very well. He solved the last little LHM leak by replacing the rubber boot on one of the front pistons. He has been driving it around in the hills where he lives and says it is running sweetly.

I drove zykra's CX to Brisbane for Cit-in 2011 - this was a car that Bob had worked on and it proved utterly reliable. He would be the first to advise against it if he thought the car was not up to it. Drive sensibly, take some spare belts, LHM, rubber tubing and a set of spanners/sockets. Take your time and enjoy the drive.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Thanks for the replies - some good advice in there (not sure about the gun!)
    The vehicles custodian is well up to the job of preparing it for it's journey, of that I'm sure.
    Considering the total length of pipes, tubing and plumbing in these cars, some spare tubing of some sort or the means to repair is one that I had not considered. And a decent connection to the Interweb to tap into expertise here is high on the list as well, if only to advise progress.
    We have driven this trip before, albeit in a 2CV going the other way - one a very simple car the other no so. I suspect the speed will be about the same but a fair bit quieter in the cab this time.
    Carb cleaner is a good suggestion, something often at hand in the shed, actually used it today.
    As noted above we plan to put some kms on the car 'up the coast and back' before heading east and enjoying some camping.
    BF

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frog View Post
    Thanks for the replies - some good advice in there (not sure about the gun!)
    The vehicles custodian is well up to the job of preparing it for it's journey, of that I'm sure.
    Considering the total length of pipes, tubing and plumbing in these cars, some spare tubing of some sort or the means to repair is one that I had not considered. And a decent connection to the Interweb to tap into expertise here is high on the list as well, if only to advise progress.
    We have driven this trip before, albeit in a 2CV going the other way - one a very simple car the other no so. I suspect the speed will be about the same but a fair bit quieter in the cab this time.
    Carb cleaner is a good suggestion, something often at hand in the shed, actually used it today.
    As noted above we plan to put some kms on the car 'up the coast and back' before heading east and enjoying some camping.
    BF

Big Frog,

The vehicles custodian's view is the key. Car components / bits and pieces do not fail just for the fun of it. They fail because they are way past their use by date or are actually faulty before the "Drive".

If you have a good set of tyres for example, they will not magically blow on you if you are keeping / driving to today's speed limits; that is, correctly pressured tyres do not just fail for no reason (whilst it happens it is rare and as you know, now days new cars do not come with a spare wheel).

Similarly with every other component on the vehicle. If it has been checked - the chances of it failing are remote.

We used to rally a 1968 Mitsubishi Colt (1100) with twin 40mm Side Draught Webers fitted to a Gallant 1600 motor all over Victoria and southern parts of NSW taking part in the Victorian Rally Championships without a service crew! I can assure you that the vehicle was driven flat out all night constantly running out of revs throughout the 4S gearbox range without mechanical failures. Why? The Colt was "Rally prepared" by me. I knew that every component of the Colt was OK before the vehicle was presented for scrutiniring prior to the event.

So Big Frog, getting back to your DS Special. A 3600 km drive will be a dream if the vehicle is ok to start with.

That is, it needs to be OK to start with, if you can rely on the current custodian well and good - you do not want to carry out repairs along the way on faulty / suspect components and the only to overcome that is to make sure that all is well before you start.

Upon checking it out, enjoy the drive.

John

Madge?

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Madge?
    Yes I will be taking a female travelling companion, not sure that she has all of Madge's qualities, but she has been described as the ultimate camping accessory.

JBN

After reading all the comments, the only thing you really need to take is the car. If you have a few days up your sleeve before you leave, look at the weather forecast and try to catch a trailing westerly wind.

Norseman is usually a stopover as its the last town before the Nullabour. I stayed a couple of times at the Railway Hotel. Its kind of like an Australian version of the Hotel California made famous by the Eagles. In 2008, the staff were most stray young blokes. One was a "gunna". He was gunna pedal a bike across the Nullarbour, one day, when he had a bike. Its cheap and "strange" in a quaint sort of way.

Watch the wedgetails sitting on road kill. They are very reluctant to leave the carcase. They are also bloody big.

Have a good trip. The D will probably breakdown about 50kms from Grattai.

John

Fellow Frogger!

If Madge is a high maintainance woman just like a D you'll be utterly exhausted after the trip.

Why stop at just the Leatherman? A car full of Village People could be an hilarious road trip.

To cut down on weight of tools you might consider a "go through" socket set, very versatile.
    Add some spanners, pliers and screwdrivers.

Best of luck and enjoy your adventure.

Paul.

UFO

Ideally you would not take any of the spares like belts or hoses with you to Perth but source them there to bring back with you. You cannot fly with items like carby cleaner - it's a prohibited baggage item even in checked baggage.

Tools - sockets and spanners 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 should get you out of most trouble. Phillips and flat drivers, multimeter, electrical tape, cable ties, hose clamps (jubilee clips). Other items mentioned above would also be good.

Having said all that, in 2005 16 Cits made a holiday carrying their 26 passengers to Perth and back from the east. Out of those cars there were, IIRC:
    D Super (got booked for speeding at ~140 somewhere in eastern WA - smooth talked his way out of it!)
    2 or 3 D Special
    DS23ie Auto towing a pop up camper trailer
    1 more D Spec that had been prepared as rally look alike (received a planned oil change on the side of the highway somewhere in SA/WA)
    A GS
    Even a Traction Avant!

Then there were assorted other Cits such as XM, Xantia, 2CV, C3 Pluriel, BXs, Xsara etc. The only car I recall from that whole group that had a problem was the BX16v whose starter died at Fraser Range Station in WA. A replacement was dispatched with Shane Harris then from Perth as he set out to meet us. HIS car (a DS23ie) had the most problems of the lot as it blew 3 aged tyres before it got to Norseman. The BX starter was fitted in the open air at Fraser Range.

On a couple of days of long hauls and high weather temps the Ds ran a little hot but they were not being molly coddled.

Bon chance!

Here is a pic of most of that fleet D Special 3600km road trip - what to take-citin2005-lineup.jpg
    Last edited by UFO; 10th March 2014 at 11:35 PM.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

What would I take?
    A box of cigars.
    A can of fix a flat.
    Sundry tools as mentioned by UFO.
    Digital camera.
    Your best traveling buddy.
    Hotrodelectric because the guy certainly isn't stupid when it comes to stuff like this.

doing the daffyduck dance with the aussiefrogs app. wooohooo woooohoooo wooohooo

LOL at the cigars; getting a mental image of George Peppard in A-Team guise: "I love it when a plan comes together."

I appreciate all the input, the east - west trip starts tomorrow.

Break a leg!

bas

Jealous!! But enjoy the trip, really!.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

UFO

Are you there yet?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Welcome to the wild west!

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information