D Spec Exhaust leaks
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default D Spec Exhaust leaks

I am now making my 3rd attempt to fix an exhaust leak from the the downpipe joint on my D Spec.I have
    never had such problems with my 21,s.I guess the fault must be a misalignment,but what is the fix?
    Woody

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Do you mean where the downpipe attaches to the flexi- joint? The male tail on the downpipe wears until it becomes too short/thin to seal properly. I have had a replacement piece welded on. The correct front downpipe to flexipipe clamp is an OEM exhaust clamp which also attaches to the car underbody. A lot of owners have ditched OE clamp for the ubiquitous U clamp (or weld pipes) which could weaken the join. Some do away with the flexipipe altogether contrary to original design.
    What's the condition of your engine mounts?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    Do you mean where the downpipe attaches to the flexi- joint? The male tail on the downpipe wears until it becomes too short/thin to seal properly. I have had a replacement piece welded on. The correct front downpipe to flexipipe clamp is an OEM exhaust clamp which also attaches to the car underbody. A lot of owners have ditched OE clamp for the ubiquitous U clamp (or weld pipes) which could weaken the join. Some do away with the flexipipe altogether contrary to original design.
    What's the condition of your engine mounts?
    Thanks for the response m2s, I am talking about the flange joint with two gaskits.

Tadpole

I replaced my down pipe a few months ago. First I removed the down pipe and both manifolds. After cleaning everything up I test fitted the new down pipe to the manifolds. I had to modify the manifold end of the down pipe slightly so the new gaskets would fit.

When reinstalling everything, keep the manifold nuts just loose enough to allow for some movement. Then, tighten the 4 nuts that hold the down pipe to the manifolds. Then go back and tighten the 8 manifold nuts.

This will allow the down pipe to seal properly

Hope this helps, not a fun job.
    Paul
    -------------------
    1969 DS21 Pallas BVH

Others:
    1966 International 1000A Pickup
    1963 VW 1200

The obvious question, though one I am sure is unnecessary: is the brace fitted between the front of the flexi and the engine?

D Spec Exhaust leaks-ds-exhaust_1024x609.jpg
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Thread Information