Anyone driving e-HDi?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Anyone driving e-HDi?

Apart from the fact that there doesn't seem to be any new car content in Aussiefrogs since the famous forum "crash" of 2011 or whenever, does anyone else have an e-HDi car? These are the ones with stop-start technology for city driving.

Just in case there are rogue sense of humours lurking, we all know about the "stop-start" technology which has plagued many new Citroens and Peugeot cars over the last decade or so. I'm not talking about the accidental stop-start function, but the deliberate one built into and sold with some of the 1.6 HDi engine cars.

Advertisement

I just picked up a near new C4 e-HDi for a good price yesterday.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

my sister just purchased a little renault clio that does that ............. I'm not a fan, I'd dissable it. If I want a car to switch off, I'll do it myself. We don't live in heavy traffic, so there's really no point to it at all. Your just flattening the battery and wearing out the starter for no reason

Now if you lived in the middle of a big city and did commutes in bumper -> bumper traffic for hours on end ........................... It then makes sense, though how does the A/C work without the engine running

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

So Trevor,

Does it have a regenerative brake capability as well? I thought these had a big starter motor/alternator that could do a bit of both depending on what was required. I will be interested to see what sort of fuel economy you manage to achieve.

Cheers,

Ken W

1000+ Posts

I've driven an eHDI. It seems odd to hear the motor stop and start again, but it was no bother in Sydney traffic. I don't know about any long term issues with the alternator as I don't actually own it. I like the 1.6 petrols.

The new C4 isn't often seen, and yet it is a very pleasant and comfortable vehicle. Someone at Ateco/Syme Darby needs to taken out and disposed of. The range has now been reduced even further by these geniuses. The 5 speed manual petrol and 6 speed manual diesel models were priced competitively with some other high volume but mundane cars too. I think you'll enjoy yours.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    Apart from the fact that there doesn't seem to be any new car content in Aussiefrogs since the famous forum "crash" of 2011 or whenever, ...
    Eh? No "new car" content here? Doesn't seem like that to me... How do you define new car content?

1000+ Posts

PSA put out a press release (French) with some motor info at http://data.over-blog-kiwi.com/0/39/...ur-1-6-hdi.pdf. There is an English brochure for the P308 eHDI at http://www.peugeot.com.au/media/deli...935-4fbb65.pdf

Fellow Frogger!

Stop start technology does seem like a lot of extra wear and tear when using the starter motor, albeit highly modified, in Citroens case as an alternatorstartermotor.
    Mazda is one manufacturer I am aware of which senses which piston\s is in the compression stroke and squirts direct injection fuel and spark to start the engine, seamlessly.

Harley

Via the aussiefrogs App

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    Eh? No "new car" content here? Doesn't seem like that to me... How do you define new car content?
    Current model.

There used to be a good selection of folk who wrote about Picassos and the like, who wrote about things other than finding parts or solutions for old cars and their problems.

Don't misunderstand me, please - there is nothing wrong with that, but there used to be a good selection of new car threads.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    my sister just purchased a little renault clio that does that ............. I'm not a fan, I'd dissable it.
    You can easily disable the stop-start system on the PSA e-HDi vehicles too, but why would you?

PSA did a very clever thing and worked with Siemens, I think, to produce a reversing alternator. No wearing parts (electronics, though) and very quick to fire up. It rolls as soon as you lift your foot off the brake and the engine has fired by the time you press on the throttle. They claim 400ms.

They also use regenerative braking (through the alternator as far as I know) to recharge the battery quickly.

If I want a car to switch off, I'll do it myself.
    Seriously, you have had your cars switch off without you actually doing it yourself, so at least this is for a good purpose and not due to some strange quirk!

We don't live in heavy traffic, so there's really no point to it at all. Your just flattening the battery and wearing out the starter for no reason

Where is your faith?

They designed it to work like this.

though how does the A/C work without the engine running

It doesn't. If it's too hot it either won't shut down or it starts up again after a short while. I just turn the fan off to stop the AC triggering an early restart in this weather. Mind you, I've only had it for a day... ;-)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    So Trevor,

I will be interested to see what sort of fuel economy you manage to achieve.
    I haven't tried stop-start without stop-start - I have several routes where I can reliably check it.

However, becuse I kept immaculate records of my (old) 2008 C4 1.6HDi (80kw) with EGS I can readily compare with the new 82kw engine at highway speed where stop-start is not invoked.

The new engine seems to give close to 10% better in local testing at 70 and 90kmh over an undulating 19km total test course which reverses direction for accuracy. The new engine pulls better at low revs and the transmission evidently has higher overall gearing to take advantage of that. Unfortunately because they use a 4 segment /1000rpm tacho I cannot tell accurately, but I am pretty certain that it is higher = better.

Fellow Frogger!

[QUOTE=seasink;1236388]The new C4 isn't often seen, and yet it is a very pleasant and comfortable vehicle.

at Ateco/Syme Darby needs to taken out and disposed of.
    No, they disposed of Ateco instead. I think the lineup is appropriate cosidering that they probably only sell a couple of thousand cars all up each year in Oz.

The 5 speed petrol and 6 speed manual diesel models were priced competitively with some other high volume but mundane cars too. I think you'll enjoy yours.
    The pricing of the e-HDi seems quite competitive. It has also been improved over the old version - I noticed that immediately I drove it.

It's smoother, quieter and from the side could easily be mistaken for a Toyota Corolla. It also pulls slightly but noticeably better at low rpms, although there was never a problem (from my point of view) with the 2008 80kw version. It's just that this one is noticeably better. And I love e-HDi.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    PSA put out a press release (French) with some motor info at http://data.over-blog-kiwi.com/0/39/...ur-1-6-hdi.pdf. There is an English brochure for the P308 eHDI at http://www.peugeot.com.au/media/deli...935-4fbb65.pdf
    I found an aussie press release via google which spelled it all out very well. It should be given to all owners. ;-)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    Stop start technology does seem like a lot of extra wear and tear when using the starter motor, albeit highly modified, in Citroens case as an alternatorstartermotor.
    I think the big, fat, wide belt (maybe 25mm wide) might be the only casualty because there are no other moving parts.

The alternator/starter is a 2kw unit and I am certainly impressed with mine.

As for Mazda I have to say that, after buying one of their appalling pressure wave supercharger 626 diesels from the early 90s (from a local importer - fortunately Mazda never attempted to sell them here) and seeing the issues that corrupt their slightly later Miller-cycle petrol engined cars they sold here under the Eunos brand, I don't want to be a testing guinea pig for them any longer or ever again!

1000+ Posts

I'm not at all surprised you love it. I prefer the C4 B7 to the mechanically similar P308. They aren't bad for a long drive either.

I test drove the new C4 eHdi twice when they first came out. The second time with my wife on board and we purposely headed west to test the aircon in heavy traffic. Yes it does restart the engine when the air-conditioning needs to run, but we both thought it was getting too hot before it finally restarted the engine for air-conditioning reasons alone.

My daughter has a Golf Blue Motion which does engine start stop, and this brings up the second issue with start stop. The only way to move the car when the traffic creeps forward a bit is to restart the engine. To try and avoid this when you stop, stop as close to the car in front.

There is a car you can buy that continues to run the air-conditioning when the ICE is stopped and can move itself without restarting the ICE. It also does not have a starter motor so one less thing to stress with start stop. For these reasons I bought one
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

I don't think it's far off when a/c compressors on all cars will be electric. It makes a lot of sense for a load that is unrelated to engine revs, but will need a bigger battery. The Prius is started by its large motor/generator, much as the Citroen is started by its much smaller one which only has to turn the engine.

When I first heard about the electric air-conditioning in the Prius, I thought it might be a good solution for a GS. Then I found it uses a 3 phase AC 650 volt motor. While you could design an inverter that could supply that from a 12V DC supply, it would be difficult. The Prius has the advantage it starts with a 201V DC supply to feed the inverter.

Its great in that it can run the air-conditioning flat out when needed and also when it has got the cabin to the set temp it can slow the compressor right down. No need to waste energy by putting heat back in like the Xantia and every other climate control does.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Many modern belt driven AC compressors are somewhat variable in pumping. It's not a perfect solution (especially when the variable displacement mechanism can develop faults) but a step the right way.

Fellow Frogger!

Time for a pic or two:

Anyone driving e-HDi?-ds2_7705.jpgAnyone driving e-HDi?-ds2_7704.jpgAnyone driving e-HDi?-ds2_7703.jpg

1000+ Posts

Very nice. I'm partial to the 16" Boston wheels. BTW if you choose any colour other than white they put out their hands for more dosh.

If I lived where you live, that would have been my choice too. Apparently the fuel economy combined is 3.9l/100km (same as the Prius). I look forward to some figures after or while it is being run in.

Actually on Citroen Australia's website under the Performance tabs combined economy is listed as 4.4l/100km but on the full spec pdf you are invited to download it is listed as 3.9l/100km. Which is right. The first is what I remember when I took them for a test drive, but constant improvement could be the reason for the later figure. Either way they need to make up their minds, doesn't look very professional as it is
    Last edited by Greg C; 12th March 2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: further info
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

Just to show how many German bits in new Cits - http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA74734719.PDF. Even Japanese companies are suppliers. The upper part of the petrols is pure BMW.

Fellow Frogger!

Very nice. I'm partial to the 16" Boston wheels. BTW if you choose any colour other than white they put out their hands for more dosh.
    Do I need to put locks on the wheels then? ;-)

Yah, I bought 2 new ones previously and paid for paint - this one was low mileage used so I had no choice.

I was thinking about getting a wrap for my business but we'll see.

I swore years ago that I would never buy a white car but the deal got me in.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    If I lived where you live, that would have been my choice too. Apparently the fuel economy combined is 3.9l/100km (same as the Prius). I look forward to some figures after or while it is being run in.
    I find that consumption on the freeway does not vary greatly by engine mileage but more by ambient temperature, wind and traffic density.

Actually on Citroen Australia's website under the Performance tabs combined economy is listed as 4.4l/100km but on the full spec pdf you are invited to download it is listed as 3.9l/100km. Which is right?
    The first figure is more realistic.

I tested it out the other day - driving at various constant speeds over my 20km undulating open road test course (10km in each direction) I achieved 4.0L/100 at a constant 80kmh (genuine). That is an unrealistic open-road figure. Those fuel tests do not bear much relationship to real world driving.

My diesel experience is that you need to add at least 1L/100 to any extra-urban figure if sitting at 110kmh.

The first is what I remember when I took them for a test drive, but constant improvement could be the reason for the later figure. Either way they need to make up their minds, doesn't look very professional as it is
    The later 82kw engine (which is what I have) is a definite improvement over the 80kw version

Fellow Frogger!

Just to show how many German bits in new Cits - http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA74734719.PDF. Even Japanese companies are suppliers. The upper part of the petrols is pure BMW.
    That was interesting, but it's far from complete. A good guide, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information