C5 2005 2.2 HDI Wagon Depollution System Fault
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C5 2005 2.2 HDI Wagon Depollution System Fault

In Nov 2013 had the dreaded De-pollution Fault warning which resulted in the change of the EGR Valve which after 213,000 Kms was very gluggy.
    A month later the De-pollution warning again. This time the the EGR Control electrovalve was at fault and replaced. [Which contributed to which failure unknown].

Trouble free until last Sunday when the warning message reappeared. It occurred when fuel was low [on reserve] travelling down hill and applied the brakes. On two subsequent restarts that day warning light remained on.

Refuelled the car on Mon. Light remained on when restarted, and was still on when restarted on Tue. After travelling about 20 Kms the light went out and now back to normal.

First jump to conclusion is possible dirty fuel in the bottom of the tank [no miss detected on Sun]

Advertisement

Any thoughts

Mike

3CV

Mike I have just had this same message and have had it before too. Couple of options. 1 disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then reconnect. It may have gone but may reappear. 2 if you Google the problem you will see it is a common problem with many suggested solutions. 3 before taking it in anywhere my best advice relayed from French Care Car Hobart is to ignore it until there is something that tells you something is actually wrong with the car. It will go into Limp Home Mode for example. It is probably more to do with the ECB than an actual fault so go only to places with a Lexia (Citroen & Peugeot) diagnostic tool to properly interrogate your ECB. I also have faults intermittently showing - incorrect clock time - seat belts on passengers in rear seats not connected - ESP/ASR faulty so I am reasonably sure it is an ECB issue not genuine faults. I spent $139 recently with a good garage who said that they cleared the faults only to have them reappear with a day of getting the car back. They have a 3 month warranty on the job but it probably will be a waste of time taking it back as they do not have a Lexia diagnostic tool.
    Last edited by 3CV; 18th March 2014 at 07:47 PM.

UFO

Dirty fuel in the bottom of the tank is a myth in cars with fuel injection. The pump is constantly circulating fuel to the fuel rail and excess is returned to the tank via the return line - the pump provides more fuel to the rail than the engine requires. Any dirt that is in the circulated fuel, whether the tank is full or near empty, will be intercepted by the fuel filter.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ford View Post
    First jump to conclusion is possible dirty fuel in the bottom of the tank [no miss detected on Sun]

Any thoughts

Mike
    First step is almost always to load test the battery, preferably professionally.
    Then you'd look a broken actuator rod for the EGR system at the gearbox end of the head.
    Also check for fuel leakage into the engine harness from the filter housing, esp at the engine slave/fuse box.
    This HDi draws fuel from the tank by vacuum. I wouldn't assume dirty fuel, but is the filter blocked?

Tadpole

There has been no reoccurrence of the message since it cleared itself after a refilling of the fuel tank and a few kilometres of driving.

So another message goes into the bit bucket in the sky.

Thanks for the comments.
    Mike

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Dirty fuel in the bottom of the tank is a myth in cars with fuel injection. The pump is constantly circulating fuel to the fuel rail and excess is returned to the tank via the return line - the pump provides more fuel to the rail than the engine requires. Any dirt that is in the circulated fuel, whether the tank is full or near empty, will be intercepted by the fuel filter.
    While what Craig says is clearly true, is there a fuel strainer in the tank? Could the layer of muck on the strainer get thicker as the tank nears empty, and could the muck get temporarily washed off the strainer when the tank is refueled?

My experience is with a petrol Xantia, which has an in-tank pump with strainer. The engine started cutting out when I tried to accelerate briskly (or climb a hill!). Changing fuel filter didn't help - cleaning the in-tank strainer solved the problem.

My problem was probably caused by using E10, which is known for mobilising dormant sediment. Have you used any Biodiesel Mike? I believe it is also a good solvent...

Cheers

Alec

Tadpole

Alec,

I have not used biodiesel.

Mike

Thread Information